The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Lost 2nd 4th and reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slvrspdr99

Probationary Member
Sep 9, 2012
Middleofnowhere, New_Jersey
Hi guys the other day I lost 2nd, 4th, and reverse. I can't move linkage by hand with cables connected with car on or off. Trying with them off when I get out of work tonight. 1/3/5 work perfectly. I've read that the cables are a high possibility along with shift cable bushings. I've heard people say shift forks but they only control two gears not an entire line. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I had this same issue and one of the clips that holds the shifting cables in place on the trans came off. Check all of those U clips to make sure that are there

Yeah I would check the bracket where the shift cables are held on to and around that area. Last night I actually just had a shift cable clip pop out and I lost 1st and second because it was the side to side movement. If thats the case it is a pretty easy fix.:thumb:

How do the bushings look that go inside the end of the shifter cable where it connects to the mechanism on the transmission? Otherwise if they seem fine, have somebody else try and shift through the gears and take a look at the cables and mechanism to see if you see something hitting at all. Might want to check out the shifter itself in the car too.

I had this issue before and one of my cables was actually broke. Look around the area of the rubber cover. Mine stretched far enough after it broke that it ripped the rubber cover over the cable so i could see it.

Without removing the pins they look fine. Yesterday had a friend shift and I watched. It wasn't hitting anything but when they tried for 2/4/r just stopped like it hit and can't go farther. Both the console and the pins for the bushing are coming out after work to see if I can find anything out of ordinary. Even tried rolling the car down the driveway to get them to engage and right after neutral the shifter just stopped.

The rubber covers are sealed and I can feel the cables slide when moved

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back