1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G losing clutch pressure when cornering

Posted by s61doc, Nov 10, 2019 at 10:36 PM

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. s61doc

s61doc Supporting Member

Joined Oct 5, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Ok, this has me a bit baffled. If I hit a corner hard, in a roundabout in first for example, and try to shift into second, I have virtually no clutch. When I hit the clutch again, usually not cornering hard any more due to the fact that I couldn't shift into second, the clutch engages like normal. Immediate thought was low on fluid, but it's not. Bled the clutch just a couple of weeks ago because I didn't like the feel. Still don't. I haven't had a manual trans for a lot of years, but I've had hydraulic clutches in the past and this one just seems soft and a longer throw than it should be. Is there something about the 2G DSM I don't know about? '96 TSI AWD

Thanks all

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Sadly that can be the symptoms of advanced crankwalk.

Drag Race Build 3K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. s61doc

s61doc Supporting Member

Joined Oct 5, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    So during hard cornering, the crankshaft and flywheel shifts to the left or right, being a transverse mounted engine, when there is too much endplay? If that is the case, then it would be different during left and right cornering, correct? Hard left would push the flywheel towards the throwout bearing, making the clutch actuate sooner. Hard right would be the opposite. Something to try out to isolate the issue perhaps.

4. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Loosen the clutch slave cylinder to remove any preload caused by the pressure plate whatnots. You can then measure the crank end play with a magnetic mount/dial indictor & pushing the crank in then out from the harmonic balance. You can also get enough access if you remove the tranny inspection plate. Standard value is .0020-.0071" and limit .0098".

5. s61doc

s61doc Supporting Member

Joined Oct 5, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Ok, thanks Mello. I'm going to assume you meant 20-71 thou and 98 thou.

6. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I meant exactly .0020-.0071" and limit .0098". 20 thou & 71 thou is not the same as .0020-.0071" and limit .0098" (or 2 thou to 7.1 thou). Metric is .05-.18mm with limit .25mm.

7. s61doc

s61doc Supporting Member

Joined Oct 5, 2019
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Thanks for the clarification, those seem like pretty tight tolerances, but I haven’t rebuilt a motor since I was 18 so yeah. LOL