The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

looping oil cooler lines what should I expect?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIMking

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2008
tuscaloosa, Alabama
well my stock oil cooler is crushed. I'm losing a very little amount of oil into my coolant.

It has to be that! I have checked compression its perfect. I'm not losing coolant, I lose about 1/4 quart of oil every 3k miles and there is no coolant in my oil. So I ask until I can get my new one in the mail what would happen in I looped the coolant lines did a coolant flush to get the oil out of the system and loop the lines off the housing so what oil that is leaking doesn't go all over the place.

How hot would I expect the oil to get if I do this?

also I'm running 10w-30 mobile one oil should I go to something like a 20-50 for the summer?

I had to do this when i put a hole in mine and needed to take it off until i could replace or weld it and although i don't have an oil temp gauge I didn't have any problems running it that way, but i don't really abuse my car and drive it easy 80% of the time so it only saw a few 2 gear pulls here and there daily for the week or so that i didn't ahve it on there. I never noticed any damage to the moto and in fact it was the last motor that came out of my car back on christmass.

Because my oil cooler is custom, kinda large and is centered in one of the far ducts on the 2g front bumper, I keep the spare fittings in my car to bypass both the oil cooler and switch to one fuel pump in case one of my duals were to fail for some reason. But i keep a few extras of certain things in my car like ignitors, coil pack and fittings and clamps to repair most common failure things like hols in hoses and such

Glenn this is for the stupid stock design of the 91 housing. I bought one from a member that hasn't replied to my emails and such so I think I'm screwed. I'm tired of people being immature on this crap.

But I guess I could watch the oil pressure gauge I'm assuming that if it gets too thin the pressure would drop right?

I'm not too sure how much the pressure would drop since it is regulated by the spring and relief valve in the OPH, but i would way keep an eye on it anyway becuase you can never be too carefull in my eyes. I don't think you'll have any issues at all. If you daily drive it like any normal person with some common sense (which i'm sure you do) the difference will be negligible (sp?) and you cna still blow by that vette here and there. I mena when it comes down to the raw end of it, an oil cooler is a luxery and there have been plenty of OEM and aftermarket turbo charged cars without them that people push to the limit of their particular setup daily and the cars last a long time. (like the old turbo 2.2 k cars and mini vans from chrysler) I don't believe they were oil cooled and i rememebr seeing tons of those beefed up on the net and even a few back home growing up.

I say don't worry about it, from your posts on here i think you'll know how to treat her when she's running with no cooler and then when you get one back on you'll be back to 100% confidence and able to get it out of your mind. :)

Okay cool, I am more worried about hour long drives at speed of over 3500 rpm (75-80) if I should be worried. BTW were would I put an oil temp sensor at?

Glenn this is for the stupid stock design of the 91 housing. I bought one from a member that hasn't replied to my emails and such so I think I'm screwed. I'm tired of people being immature on this crap.

But I guess I could watch the oil pressure gauge I'm assuming that if it gets too thin the pressure would drop right?

Correct me if I am wrong but thin oil would have higher pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back