The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Looking for some pointers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2005
chicago, Illinois
Hey guys I'm about to start my car for the first time in ten yrs! I have changed fluids belts and worn hoses. Bought new brakes(rusty) valve cover gasket (leaking) drained gas and will refill last minute.ordered new fuel filter and will change that once it gets in. I hear to put marvel oil in the spark plug holes and manually turn it over before trying to give her a start so I will do that also unless any other recommendations? Anything I'm missing? Oh also replaced the tires

New plugs it has a cop set up. What do you think about the turbo it had maybe 20 miles before it was parked and then sat. Should I take it off and drain it?

Depending on if there was a lot of moisture in that gas tank, I would consider pulling the pump to make sure its not all corroded. I have seen a pump rust from sitting like that nearly burning the car down when it shorted out... Maybe I am paranoid, but in my mind its a quick check to see its condition.

That's a good idea I had a buddy who had that happen while I was listening to see if the pump was working.scared the hell out of me

You really shouldn't crank it over to prime the motor.
http://highboostforum.com/forum/showthread.php/19356-Breaking-in-an-engine

Good read from David Buschur on breaking in the 4g63. This is what I followed when I finished my build a few weeks back.

I would also check all the hoses as well (emission, coolant, etc.) they can get hard and crack after that long
Never mind just read you already replaced those, good luck!

Differences in posts and engines,

1. Buschur is referring to "new" that "he" builds .....
2. This motor has sat for 10 years ....
those are apples and steaks getting compared ... while Buschurs post was a great piece of info for a "new engine" that he built it does nothing to help this guy w/ a 10 year old motor that is more then likely "broken in" ..... I have cracked blocks from all over after sitting for half that time built by builder from AMS to Rousch and local shops in between. Moisture certainly got into that engine the OP lives in Chicago, Illinois a moisture play ground.

My opinion, is not just run that motor w/out cracking the head off and checking for any rust or ring edge at the top of the cylinder " most commonly found in the cylinder" but could be all over. At the least I would get a auto camera into the cylinders and check them out, you could go up through the oil pan drain and check the bottom end out for any rust ... add a little WD-40 and hand crank the motor a few times ( like 10 times ) pray to the auto gods and give it a start.

- fuel pump rotor sitting in the same place over time may have gummed up (for lack of a better term) and not start when powered. If that happens you can kick start it applying 12V directly from the battery directly to the pump terminal at the pump unit, no need to take the pump off. If you take it out anyway to inspect it make sure to test if it turns freely.

- injectors may be sticky resulting in a rough idle because you're running on three or less cylinders, if that happened you can just tap the one stuck closed, if it is not permanently damaged it 'could' start working. If not you need to take it off and have it cleaned professionally or replaced.

The above from direct experience after only 4 years of the car sitting in a garage.

OK I'm going to get a camera and see what's going on in there. It will really suck if I have rust inside, it was something that crossed my mind.although I do have all the parts to build the motor just not the time and money at the moment. I'll post pics once I get some time in her. Thanks for all the input.

Honestly new gas is all ypu really need. I just rec. cranking the motor for 15 secs with injectors unplugged to ensure nothing is frozen and get some oil pressure going. Any rust inside the cylinder walls will be gone after the first few secs of running. Ive starter dozens of engines ( either rebuilt or junkyard) and never had a problem. New oil, new gas then crank it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back