The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Looking for some help picking out a 2g eclipse!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkiwi44

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 20, 2011
Bradford, Pennsylvania
Hey everyone!

I've got money and i'm ready to start my journey. Lol I've got it narrowed down to these cars, and i was wondering if anyone is really bored, if they could look these over and tell me what my best choices are.

Thanks a lot. I look forward to learning and sharing my dsm experience with you all!:thumb:

96 eclipse

For sale eclipse

96 eclipse trade for a jetta

95 Eclipse Gst

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse $2800

97 eclipse

98 eclipse

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS Coupe 5 speed

Now I know there's not a lot of info for most of these. And I understand that it's hard to tell. But if you guys had to pick... Again thanks!

The cleanest one and not riced out one is the second one. The rest were just horrible. :barf:

Im not sure if your aware of the major differences between the non-turbo and turbo 2g DSM's. They are completely different platforms. The turbo models (GST/GSX/TSi) have the Mitsubishi 4g63 engine while the NT models (RS/GS/ESi) have a Chrysler 420a engine. While the 420a can be a great daily driven car, they require quite a bit of modification just to reach the same HP level of a turbo model. The turbo models are cheaper and easier to build for performance, but are often more expensive to purchase and maintain. You also have AWD (GSX/TSi AWD) and FWD (GST/TSi) turbo DSM's. While FWD's weigh less and have less drivetrain drag, they run into issues with traction at higher HP levels.

So first I would decide which model you want to go after. Then start searching for that exact model with your budget and goals in mind.

Thank you all so much! I understand a lot of these arent really that nice. But I dont have that much money to spend on nicer cars. I've got about 3000 grand +/- a little. Haha.

And a big thanks to Wes_393 for the engine info. If I could, I think id like a turbo. But im trying to get sinething thats already somewhat modded. Unless you guys think that's a bad idea. I definitely dont want anything built built though. Just a few mods maybe.

Oh another question. In my first post in this thread, the last link is labeled as a gts. It's a gs-t right? Ive never hear of a eclipse gts.

Thank you all so much! I understand a lot of these arent really that nice. But I dont have that much money to spend on nicer cars. I've got about 3000 grand +/- a little. Haha.

And a big thanks to Wes_393 for the engine info. If I could, I think id like a turbo. But im trying to get sinething thats already somewhat modded. Unless you guys think that's a bad idea. I definitely dont want anything built built though. Just a few mods maybe.

Oh another question. In my first post in this thread, the last link is labeled as a gts. It's a gs-t right? Ive never hear of a eclipse gts.

The 3g's had a GTS if I recall properly.

Anyone, usually, will state that picking up a modified car of any kind is setting yourself up for picking up another persons' headache and potential mistakes. Sometimes, if you find an honest seller, you can get away with it at a steal. You just need to be sure to check everything over. Check for leaks, ticking, knocking, notchy shifting, gears popping out while driving or moving, do a compression test, etc.

As for leaks, I always check the oil and look under the car before and after driving. Sometimes things don't leak until you're driving. Always be sure to start the vehicle and let it reach operating temperature. Watch for scare signs like the person saying "I won't get on it because of x" after telling you there's nothing wrong with the car. If they're afraid to show you stock boost levels then something is up. (Preferably in a very legal way, of course.)

Listen for noises when slowing down or 'clunks' when shifting or coming to a stop. Watch the timing belt - look for wear and rubbing.

From bottom to top -

1996 : Looks like a regular ole' GS to me. Certainly not a fan of the color or the giant "ECLIPSE" label across the windshield.

1996 GST : That's not a bad price and they have listed some potentially decent mods - but you would want to be sure to verify those mods. Get receipt proof, especially of that trans. A lot of times when people name off parts without giving specifics such as "Aftermarket 02 housing" it's garbage or not really there. Also, that bumper cracks me up.

98 Eclipse : Could grab some details, but I believe I'd pass on that one without even inquiring.

97 Eclipse : Nice exterior. Custom painted interior and what looks like.. a glow light? Oh, right. Even in the title it says it has Neons. Pass.

97 Eclipse Spyder : The phrase "Imported from Japan" is an immediate flag. Also, the 2.4 Spyder is a durable vehicle, but that engine bay looks like a mess and if you're looking for performance you may want to look elsewhere.

95 GST : This car was obviously driven hard and abused just based off of the looks and condition of the engine bay. Looks like upkeep was a minimum and color matching the interior was a priority. Pass.

96 Eclipse : I got excited when I saw the first pictures. Then I noticed it was a 420a. Personally I just don't enjoy those engines but they aren't bad. The Tail lights would absolutely have to go. I don't think it'd be a bad car, but they've obviously had their hands in the engine bay so there's no telling about the condition. Can't say either way, but personally I would pass simply because it's not what -I- would want.

99 Eclipse : Now this one doesn't seem bad. It looks clean but from the post itself it doesn't seem like the owner knows much about the car at all. Get pictures of the engine bay. No telling what's under there. Also the hook about 19 inch rims kind of throws a flag.

96 Eclipse - Another 420a car that I feel the same about. Car looks cleaner than the others, however.

Eclipse gts' were made from 04 up. But the last should be a gs-t
. Buying modded cars is a gamble. You could get a gem, or someone elses nightmare. If buying a modded car, get the seller to show you receipts for work performed, and verification of what parts were used. Unfortunately, some people buy cheap knockoff stuff that will create a headache and a hole in your pocket later.

XiKeiyaZI- Great post. I truly appreciate the breakdown of each ad. I wish they all had more information and pictures for you experts! haha And i'm definitely gonna have the seller show proof of all parts advertised on whatever car I get.

My truck is getting sold tomorrow and then it'll be time to make moves over the next week or so. Haha

Learn from others mistakes.
Buy an all wheel drive turbo model, even if you have to save up a little more cash or wait longer for a better car.
FWD sucks imo, Ive owned a 1g awd and two 2g fwd's. I LOVED driving my 1g. Im struggling majorly with traction issues in my 2g. I just bought an lsd and race axles to help out. Eventually I will be doing an awd swap.
These cars are addicting. If you fall in love with them the way I did, you will regret not buying an awd model. AWD is so much fun :hellyeah:

Lots of mis-information here.

Surprised no one mentioned this...but the second one, which does look the cleanest, should have a high rise spoiler. It does not. So I would assume its a turbo 420a, being a 99 and all.

The Spyder has obvious strut tower rust and there are already holes through. The passenger side looks likes its getting bad.

Lastly, if the last car, the mislabeled GTS, if it was actually a GST, it would have the grey scheme along the bottom of the car. You can also look at the gauges and see its a non-turbo GS model.

Just helping you out. Tou should really familiarize your self with the different platforms, and trim levels if your seriously looking for an Eclipse/Talon.

I'd wait man. I made the mistake of rushing into buying one. Motor ended up blowing (threw a rod) so I ended up have a pretty looking car that I couldn't move. I sold it and got my current gsx. Unmolested. All original got it from the original owner. However I got it from a friend of a friend. Long story short most DSMers want to sell there car to someone who will take care of it. Since my friend knows alot about dsms the owner trusts him and sold it to me. And I baby the car. Any little thing that sounds off I instantly park it and diagnose it. It's been a long journey but I love how much I've learned about DSM's. Anyways. Getting off track. I'd save up more money. Be patient it'll all be worth it.

Just gotta get rid of my truck quickly and I can get this:

Barnharts

Looks pretty nice since it's not modded. So hopefully no problems.
What do you guys think? I think for starters, the non-turbo will be better too.

Just gotta get rid of my truck quickly and I can get this:

Barnharts

Looks pretty nice since it's not modded. So hopefully no problems.
What do you guys think? I think for starters, the non-turbo will be better too.

Your gonna regret this. You asked for advice and your not taking the advice people are giving. Wait and buy an awd turbo model. Either way, good luck with whatever car you decide to go with :thumb:

Only a few people actually said get an awd. And it's really to save up money, because in order to have any money i need to sell my truck, and then i'm stuck without a vehicle. I think it's gonna be a good starter for me. Then when i'm ready i'll move up. I hope no one's gonna hate on me just because it's not awd and turbo.

Only a few people actually said get an awd. And it's really to save up money, because in order to have any money i need to sell my truck, and then i'm stuck without a vehicle. I think it's gonna be a good starter for me. Then when i'm ready i'll move up. I hope no one's gonna hate on me just because it's not awd and turbo.

I can say with confidence that any member on here that has a fwd turbo or fwd n/a would love to have their car be awd.
There might be a few who would stay FWD.
I for one, will be doing an AWD swap because Im making decent power for the street and all I do is spin the tires. My car is too clean to sell and buy an awd so im going to do the swap.

As another member stated before, the non turbo is a completely different platform. The N/A 420a and the Turbo 4g63 are 2 completely different motors. So if you do buy a non-turbo and plan to buy a turbo later, be prepared to do a lot of reading all over again to learn a different motor.
Even if you cant buy an awd right now, there are a ton of fwd turbo models for sale in PA for great prices. I see them all the time on craiglist for $3000 or less.
I will not "hate" on any decision you make, you asked for help and Im trying to guide you in a direction you will not later regret.

Honestly I should have asked this in the beginning, what are your plans for the car?

I have no plans set yet. As moneys tight. But i'd like to maybe mod it, nothing too major though. I'm just trying to get one purchased and then i have plans on moving down to Florida, so i figure once i get down there it'll be time to start. I'll just be happy to get it away from the rusty north. Haha

I'm still stuck selling my truck before i can pickup a dsm. And i feel like in my area, it's gonna be hard to find one around 2500. :/

I wish I owned a truck before I bought my DSM... Any of them... BTW op, screw what these ppl think on if its a 420 or 4g63 fwd or awd. Thats not what this site is about.

Its your car at the end of the day. We're here to just help drop our .02 in. Do your thing and get a good DSM. Be patient and don't fall in love with a car before you purchase.

I'm still stuck selling my truck before i can pickup a dsm. And i feel like in my area, it's gonna be hard to find one around 2500. :/

Are you dead set on a 2g? You could find a decent 1g AWD for that price relatively easy for around $2500. My best advice would be to wait it out for the right car, don't force yourself into selling one car to get another.

Save up on the side and wait it out, patience pays.

I wish I owned a truck before I bought my DSM... Any of them... BTW op, screw what these ppl think on if its a 420 or 4g63 fwd or awd. Thats not what this site is about.

Its your car at the end of the day. We're here to just help drop our .02 in. Do your thing and get a good DSM. Be patient and don't fall in love with a car before you purchase.

Listening to this guy will end up making you regret your dsm purchase. You want an awd 2g and you'll never regret it, you will throw wrenches at walls but that's another story. It's worth traveling to bring home the right car.

Coming from someone who has owned 6 GST's...wait for the right AWD 2g. Don't rush into anything.

In the mean time save your money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back