The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G looking for ideas on shaving my evo intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZmocoLoco

Proven Member
Feb 23, 2016
Chandler, Arizona
i am currently in the process of assembling my motor, and i chose to go with an evo 3 intake manifold. we are planning on stashing my coil pack up around the (3g) brake booster, so i dont need any tabs on the I.M. im not sure if this has been done, but i would imagine it has since everyone here seems to love abusing power tools as much as i do LOL. (disclaimer, i am not new to the dsm game, just trying to get this probationary member thing taken off so i can start selling parts). thanks guys!

Use an angle grinder large areas. Then dremel and files for smaller areas. Die grinder can help with small areas too.

Once you have the metal mostly removed go back in there with a flap wheel and smooth things down, then use some sand paper to get a nice finish. Finally, get some machine polish and some good hard buffing pads for bare metal to get it to shine like a diamond in a goat's ass.

hahaha great responses guys. probably gonna start knocking this out in 2 days. i am going to powdercoat it as well. probably going with a wrinkle black.

well i got it shaved down, cleaned up as much as i thought i would like it to be. the bottom holes for the coil pack have been bugging me, and i am thinking about knocking those down as well, but my tuner said you wouldnt be able to tell with the fuel rail and strut bar in the area... so i might just leave it. i should be sending it in for powdercoating pretty soon as well. probably gonna go wrinkle black or at least satin black... the shaving process was simple, just took a lot of time. i started off with a sawzall, got the big parts out of the way, then just hit it with a flat grinder. at the end of it, i hit it with a 220 grit sand paper by hand, and im pretty darn happy with the results! more updates to come.

ALSO

i am aware it is a RVR manifold, but the funny thing is the throttle body opening was 60mm. so we are gonna go 63 out with a 1g n/a TB to mate with it. what do you all think?!

Attachments

• IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Looks very good I have the evo3 but I also use the evo3 bracket and coil pack in place...

Looking good! Will look even better with the wrinkle black finish!

If you have the right tools and know what you are doing, you can bust this out in under 2 hours. I polished mine rather than coating it with anything.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Purely out of curiosity.......what did you end up welding? I did find a small air bubble in the casting of mine after I lopped off one of the coil bracket mounting lugs, it was deep enough to leave a minor ugly on the front of my plenum if you look close at my photos.....its to the right on the front of the plenum. I was going to weld it up and grind/polish it out but it holds 30psi plus and I ended up mounting my AFPR in front of it so its still as it was today. I remember being pretty annoyed about it though.

hey guys thanks for keeping this one going. i think this was a probationary member post so i forgot about it. i actually have a pretty good thread going with updates of my car: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/what-do-you-think-so-far.507088/

but in the mean time, heres a little something for you all!

Looking great guys! I'm actually leaning towards saying with the e3 intake manifold rather than a street smim just because I hear they are great for smaller turbos like my e3 16g. I think you guys are convincing me!

hey guys thanks for keeping this one going. i think this was a probationary member post so i forgot about it. i actually have a pretty good thread going with updates of my car: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/what-do-you-think-so-far.507088/

but in the mean time, heres a little something for you all!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back