The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Looking for advice on a new car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocfive

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2002
Fremont__CA
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little direction with buying a car. I have to buy a 4 door car, and it should from the year 2000 or later (for work). The budget is 20,000 or less. I am seriously considering an Audi a4 quatro 2.8 or 1.8 turbo. I am wondering how reliable these cars are. I am hearing mixed reviews from people I have spoken with so far. My guess is that the 2.8 might have less problems with the turbo 4. Is true?

Other considerations for me: 4door accord, Lexus is300, UN-equipped BMW (sounds kinda boring), 2000-2003 Accra Tl, wrx (well maybe not), basically any non American car now that I think about it.

Well I always got good info from the people here, so thanks in advance.

-Greg

Dude. $20K is a huge market area for used. Is this going to be a racer car, or just a transit tool? You need space, or mileage? Commuter around Fremont, you'll thank yourself for an automatic gearbox.

so this is a work vehicle? if so, a 4 door accord should suit you fine, you see alot of them on the road, so they must still have that "honda reliability", plus 20,000 will pretty much buy you a brand new one.... might even has some $$ left over afterwards... i'm surprised to hear the word "reliability" out of dsm owner, haha j/k, way too many people associate dsm's as being unreliable... oh well.. anyways, a WRX would be a good pick too, i've loved them since the day i first saw one in my Car and Driver... oh well.. those are my 2 picks.

Well I was hoping for low milage, must be 4 door. I am looking for a daily driver that is still enjoyable to drive, and doesnt reqire a bunch of mods for me to like it.

Greg

mocfive said:
I am looking for a daily driver that is still enjoyable to drive,
Almost too vague. For half of $20K, there's brand-new KIAs and Hyundais. Think of the fun of driving a car you don't give a crap about, and which has a ten-year warranty. That's almost as full of possiblities as a rental! :D Add an MP3 player and some "shared" stolen files off the internaweb, and you're more than set for a drive in the rubble that used to be Bay Area freeways.

Defiant said:
Almost too vague. For half of $20K, there's brand-new KIAs and Hyundais. Think of the fun of driving a car you don't give a crap about, and which has a ten-year warranty. That's almost as full of possiblities as a rental! :D Add an MP3 player and some "shared" stolen files off the internaweb, and you're more than set for a drive in the rubble that used to be Bay Area freeways.

Christ, you aren't kidding.

Those cars are very affordable. Thats something to check out.
My struggle is really about whether or not I want to buy a nicer, more comfortable car like an is300; or just a p o s that meets the requirements and save my money.

I am seriously considering that is300. I am hoping for a car that is more reliable, and still nice. Then again that car would be between 15 and 20 for the 2001 though 2003 models. I could pic up a newer Hyundai, or I was thinking about a 2000 4 door civic for real cheep. I just know I would want to sell that civic or Hyundai asap, but I would be satisfied keeping the Lexus.

Anyways it always helps me to run these things by others.
I checked out Audi a4's, they are affordable. I found a very long list of common problems and had eclipse flash backs. I used to love working on my eclipse, but its different now, I don't have a garage to work on cars any more, or really the time to do it. Most importantly, I can't afford having my car break down.

What cars would you guys buy with 20k, that was 4 door and reliable for a daily driver in some of the worst traffic in California? Not to mention a tight budget after that higher car payment.

Mazdaspeed Protege or Protege5, very cheap, very good on gas, and very fun. Dont get something like a wrx you'll end up wanting to mod it, just my $.02.

you've got a point about the wrx, I decided against that as well as the audi. Man that lexus would be the perfect car for me, but I cant get past the gas milage. It gets less miles per gallon than a 2001 camero. But then again, I think I might be happier with it than the other fwd options. This is driving me nuts.

Greg

^ yeah those MazdaSpeed Protege's were pretty sick for the price. Hell, you could get one of those for 16K NEW! Now that is a hell of a deal for a nice sports car. I'm personally seriously thinking of saving and selling a lot of my stuff to straight up buy the new 2006 MAZDASPEED6 AWD car that's coming out later this year. Think I first heard about it on these forums and have been entralled ever since. Don't get me wrong I thought about the SRT and all of it's awesome power but I realize it's not my style. Aside from the power the SRT doesn't do it for me. Great power for the $ though..

If I were you I would probably stick with the A4. Those are really nice cars and should suite your needs accordingly. Fun, roomy and stylish. But, I'm a big euro fan so that's a given. Keep us posted.

Mazdaspeed Protege's are turboed, aren't they? Oh yeah, isn't Kia doing a buy-one get one free thing with cars? ROFL

Wufei said:
Mazdaspeed Protege's are turboed, aren't they? Oh yeah, isn't Kia doing a buy-one get one free thing with cars? ROFL

yeah they are turboed.. Link

Funny thing is I'm looking them up on the net and ones with 18-35k miles are selling for around 16K.. I know that I saw a special about 1 1/2 years ago where you could get this car brand spanking new for 16-17K... Now that's a deal!

They have the same turbo as us 2g's!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back