The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Looking for a AWD or 4x4 SUV.. What is a good one to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patryk

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2002
Carol Stream, IL, Kearny_NJ
Well im really thinking about getting a new vehicle.(the DSM gets me in too much trouble) I want it to be AWD or 4x4.. 6 or 8 cyl. Im looking for about a price range of $8000.

The vehicle i have been looking at has been 96-98 Land Rover Discovery. I really like it and its in my price range. What can you guys tell me about the Discovery? What other vehicle can you guys suggest? I want it to be reliable and i want it to look good.

Oh and not any FORDS or CHEVYS. Thanks.

i'm driving a 99 Dodge Durango 5.2L 4x4 and I love it. So far, i've had it for almost a year with NO problems AND its f*cking powerful.

you might wanna check on reliability ratings for Land Rover. They generally suck ass.

you could get like a 95-99 tahoe, or things like 4 runners, honda passports, pathfinders. all the import stuff

Patryk said:
Well im really thinking about getting a new vehicle.(the DSM gets me in too much trouble) I want it to be AWD or 4x4.. 6 or 8 cyl. Im looking for about a price range of $8000.

The vehicle i have been looking at has been 96-98 Land Rover Discovery. I really like it and its in my price range. What can you guys tell me about the Discovery? What other vehicle can you guys suggest? I want it to be reliable and i want it to look good.

Oh and not any FORDS or CHEVYS. Thanks.

I think that if you're looking for a SUV, you should first ask yourself if you really need it. I have met about two people total who actually have a legitimate use for one of those overweight pieces of crap, and they were both contractors.

SUV's are more expensive to maintain, have higher fuel consumption, and increased rollover risks. They represent a larger danger to you and the people you share the road with.

With all these things in mind, all of the hundreds of people I've met who drive SUVs and don't need them all have one of two things in common:

1.) They are male, and they wanted a "Big Truck" to compensate for something else that's not so big. With the Internet the way it is, and all those pills flying around, I thought that would have been a thing of the past.

2.) They are female, and they wanted a "Big Truck", because they are compensating for something God never intended women to possess.

The irony of the situation is that many families buy these things so that they can keep their kids safe. How can you do something like that when you're talking on your cell phone in your 5000 Lb. behemoth? Or when you're top-heavy two-ton box rolls over?

As far as the social implications go, I still can't grasp why when you slap a Caddy badge on a Suburban, and throw on some "Dubs", a truck that had no concept of "cool" 20 years ago suddenly becomes "dope".

Matt.

why suv? get a van? i doubt you will be off-roading anyways. If you did it would probably roll over anyways. Dont be caught in the SUV-buying fad.

if everyone drove what they wanted to I would be driving an M1 abrams tank. That sounds totally fair to me.

Get a Subaru wagon. All Subarus after 96 or 97 have full-time AWD, not really too much smaller than an SUV/Van, much better mileage, some look pretty sweet, and they will take a hell of a pounding and keep running smoothly (don't ask me how I know ;) ).

I JUST bought an SUV last week after totalling my DSM. 8 grand was my exact price also. I bought a 2000 GMC Jimmy 2door(more sporty) with 65k miles. Its push button 4x4, power everything, full gauge cluster including tach, impressive stereo system for stock, and over all a real nice SUV. I looked at 4 runners, tahoes, durangos, etc...they were all out of my price range. Basically the only thing in my range was jeep grand cherokees w/ high mileage, or chevy blazer/gmc jimmy's with under 80k. OH yea, and it gets better mileage than my awd dsm. haha

go with a toyota 4 runner, they are pimp, last long. I work at walmart in the tire and lube area, this one guy brings his in all the time for oil changes he sitting at like 302,968 miles and still running strong.

This is the SUV I will eventually get
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=2484652313&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

the 94 and 95 sr's came with a 3.5l v6 with 214hp 228lb-ft torque. you can find them from $5000 to $7000 for nice condition with decent miles.

And yes SUV's are more expensive to drive, but maintain I'm not so sure about my talon seems to cost alot :rolleyes: . and if you drive a chevy with a v8 its more expensive to drive.

My reason for wanting an SUV, to trailer my DSM to the track of course :)

i bought a jeep cherokee(the grand cherokees are nice too)easy to lift and the 4.0 straight 6 is a good motor.plus a couple companys make a supercharger for it.
mine is a 92 limited rubicon express 3.5 "lift(sits at 4.25 all around) 32 " tires.really fun in the winter months

Will this do? The owner said it was a Subaru at the car show... But I looked at it and found many other parts off other cars on it (Celica headlights).

Attachments

• DSCF0059.JPG
    DSCF0059.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 144
ootalipseoo said:
go with a toyota 4 runner, they are pimp, last long. I work at walmart in the tire and lube area, this one guy brings his in all the time for oil changes he sitting at like 302,968 miles and still running strong.

Wal-Mart sucks ass, quit your job as soon as you can find a better one.

How long have you worked there?

Flash said:
Will this do? The owner said it was a Subaru at the car show... But I looked at it and found many other parts off other cars on it (Celica headlights).

Looks Like one of those Aztec's with a Nissan Xterra roof rack, Celica headlights,

worked for walmart like 2 years now, its just a pud job until I get my shop ready to go. I've been trying to get fired but they wont for reasons I dunno. heh

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE!!!
The older model 97-99 . They are cute! and $%^ powerfull if u get the limited edition 5.9L v8 u will be surprise. Parts got to be cheap. It is a domestic car. ;) :shhh:
TITO

well i dont like suvs at all but i would have to get one its like a 98 jeep grand cherokee (sp?) its a odd model that has AWD and a 5.9 v8 (360 ci) and i saw one with a supercharger on it and supporting mods (12 psi i think) run 12s

now that i would drive

JEEP!!!
Jeeps are the best. I've owned two, my dad's owned 6, my mom's had 3, little bro's had 1... you can't go wrong. If you want a v8... go for the grand cherokee. You should be able to pick up a 98-99 for about 8 grand. Otherwise get the Cherokee with the 4.0. They rock. Nuff said.

titogs95 said:
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE!!!
The older model 97-99 . They are cute! and $%^ powerfull if u get the limited edition 5.9L v8 u will be surprise. Parts got to be cheap. It is a domestic car. ;) :shhh:
TITO

tehehe u said cute

Well I couldn't find another world at the moment! but next time i will avoid that word and use only for CHICKS! for CHICKS ONLY! :thumb: :thumb:
What a mistake! OMG
Lol

I'm so amused by the likes of some people. We're all so eager to voice our opinions when it has nothing to do with the original question. He asked what he should get. He didn't ask what some tree hugger thought about suv's. We complain about their gas and the danger in them. Yet we're all members of a tuner site where most of our goals are to go faster (with the aid of more fuel), and last I checked the faster we go the greater the risk for an accident. Neither am I concerned with. I've got an Eclipse that's as modded as I can afford AND a Tahoe. Sorry for the rant, I couldn't help myself. So to stay on topic...DON'T GET A TAHOE!!. My ass gets better gas mileage and probably has more power too!

Going back to the original question - land rovers look nice, test drive nice (test drove a comfy new one about a year ago), but I'm not sure how they last over time... Please note, I'm not questioning how Land Rovers endure - just how the Discovery line does once it hits 100K miles.

looking at cars.com, there are quite a few in the chicagoland area, and even a 1/2 dozen under 8K...

Just my own $.02, I have a 96 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 I6, 130K miles and aside from normal suspension and engine mtce you have to perform at the various points, it's been a very stable vehicle. It's not as glamourous or luxurious as the grand cherokee or the LR, but I'm sure I can snake out another 70K miles on this before I have to replace the old ride...

I've wanted the Forester XT since it came out, but I'm having big heartache plunking down ~30K on a car (and payments) while this one still has life in it...

good luck with your decision...

A friend of mine had a Land Rover Range Rover, and it was not that great. It was tough, but it was not comfortable (very little legroom for its size). Also, despite the fact that it had a V8, it was a DOG. Gas mileage was terrible, and the interior lacked refinement. And do you know the joke about British vehicles? If they aren't leaking oil, it means they are out of oil...
I know you said no Fords or Chevys, but I ask WHY NOT? Chevy V8s have the highest reliability rating. Don't trust me, look it up yourself. And has anyone here who bashes Tahoes actually owned one? Gas mileage is not that bad. I have owned Avalanches for the last 3 years, and I can tell you that I get over 18 miles per gallon on the highway. That's not bad at all for an SUV. It is comfortable, very quiet inside, and very versatile. I can carry my entire DSM engine and tranny in the back when I need to, and bicycles, dirt bikes, computers (for my computer business), home improvement materials, etc.
I know an Avalanche is out of the price range you stated, but a Tahoe might be in that range and is similar from a drivetrain and interior point of view. Unless you are morally opposed to the Chevy name for some reason, I would suggest looking into them...
I would also suggest that you don't be swayed by the juveniles who claim SUV owners are compensating for physical limitations, etc. That is moronic. Also, a responsible driver in ANY vehicle is much safer than some irresponsible kid in a sports car...it is not the vehicle that makes a danger to others on the road.

I would go with the Montero......they have a history of being durable. And it's a mitsu :dsm: :dsm: :dsm: .

Just sold our 96 Passport for $6g's that thing was to clean and taken care of :) but go w. something that saves gas, and keep it under a v8 for that :) but powerwise, go v8 :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back