The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Looked at Dynomax VT, but no - any suggestion for a good, but mild sounding muffler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorS

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2009
Newark, Delaware
My exhaust is currently a hybrid of 2.5" dp and cat with OE 2" rear and muffler. I'm trying to decide on a muffler that would be quieter than a Magnflow and ran across the Dynamax VT 17156.

Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Dynomax VT™ Muffler

Looks like it could be the perfect choice and I'm wondering if anybody has experience with it. Inputs?

Last edited:
There's a good thread somewhere about users of this muffler suffered from some sort of extreme tapping noise from the valve. I'll see if I can find it for you.
In most cases the muffler operated well but soon after installation the valve would start making noise as the exhaust pulses, choppy and few and far between compared to a v8, were blowing the door open and closed at cruise and such. The noise was annoying and many users tried experimenting to dampen the sound but to little effect. I think it also turned out that the rattle was common no matter what engine type it was installed on.

I did a quick look but didn't see the thread but I'll give it another shot.
This is all I got. They call it a rattle.
http://youtu.be/PPefWM3q7YA

Hmm -- that's nice :(! Just looked up their Limited Lifetime Warranty and here it is
Dynamax/Tenneco said:
Limited Lifetime Warranty (limited to qualifying DynoMax® products only)
Tenneco Inc. warrants qualifying DynoMax® products against defects and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such original purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed.
Wonder if valve rattle is considered a defect?

Have learned that was a common problem with the first generation VTs, but supposedly they've modified the valve since then. Guess that still leaves the risk of receiving an original when purchasing. Might be able to tell through visual inspection.

Here's an example of it on a dual exhaust truck
Dynomax VT, bad review - Page 2 - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

Just found this thread
Project Valve Technology Muffler - evolutionm.net

An especially useful post from that thread
evolutionm.net - View Single Post - Project Valve Technology Muffler

This guy has stock cams and revised VT muffler
evolutionm.net - View Single Post - Project Valve Technology Muffler

===================MUCH LATER======================

Read the entire thread and concluded it's not a good choice for me and changed my title :(!

Can anyone suggest a muffler that doesn't drone at highway speeds but still provides good flow performance? Probably something quieter than a Magnaflow.

Last edited:
If you're just looking for a muffler, I had a Dynomax Super Turbo for years that I liked. Wasn't terribly loud but had a good sound.

Check out Thermal R&D
OR
Apexi N1
I've listened to a clip of both (saw them in the other muffler thread), and although they both sound great, they also sound a bit more aggressive than I have in mind. I want to tone it down.

Here's an Apexi N1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VdQ3IzycYo...feature=related
Here's a Thermal Resarch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhz2Ga7ifIU...feature=related

If you're just looking for a muffler, I had a Dynomax Super Turbo for years that I liked. Wasn't terribly loud but had a good sound.
Yeah, I'm looking for a good muffler that allows the engine to breath, but doesn't drone, and doesn't get me in trouble with my suburban neighbors. Have to be able to live with it and don't want to have to go back and add a resonator to settle it down.

Thanks, but I was hoping to avoid having to use both a muffler and a resonator. From reading it seems a resonator is a good idea with the UltraFlows, they're not too quiet by themselves.

Anybody have any experience with Hooker Aero Chamber? That seems a pretty good sound and not particularly loud unless you lean on it.

Mazda 6 Hooker Aerochamber Exhaust - YouTube

It's so hard to judge this stuff from Youtube videos! My setup will be 2.5" pipe and Magnaflow ceramic cat.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back