The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Look at what I found

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschooltsi

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 13, 2004
Livingston, Tennessee
I finally got some extra time to pull the head off of my tsi. This is what I found. It is on the exhaust side so I need to see now if it chipped any blades on my turbo.

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 624
OUCH!

Dont worry, you can rebuild it, we have the technology. it will run harder, lift faster......

By the way, what cylinder did it happen in.

consider yourself lucky...

Attachments

• P9120004.jpg
    P9120004.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 616
yea my piston and cylinder wall were fine. The piece must have(hopefully) blew out the exhaust. I heard there is some new type of duct tape out. I may just use that.

oldschooltsi said:
yea my piston and cylinder wall were fine. The piece must have(hopefully) blew out the exhaust. I heard there is some new type of duct tape out. I may just use that.
I really hope that's a joke.

What the hell is that in the piston picture? Looks Like someone took all the metal shavings accumulated from porting something and dumped them into cylinder one.

good ol' cylinder 1.. always the first one to go.

It looks to me like you ingested something, it bounced aroudn a while in the chamber, and broke the exhaust valve as it exited.

The duct tape was definitely a joke. I actually had to chop the picture so just to let every one know it is the #3 piston. I have already made arrangements to buy an another upgraded head with stronger springs and stainless steel valves. Oh yea it has a mild port also.

haha OK seriously, oldschooltsi, it looks like you have a burnt valve. Luckily it usually doesn't send chunks of shrapnel through the turbo, (unlike the damage caused by a broken valve, valveseat, and pieces of combustion chamber.) If you're lucky, the missing pieces of your valve melted off and blew out the exhaust a little bit at a time.

steve said:
Like pneumo said, that's a burnt valve.
Looks like you were about due for a valve job anyway.
Those valves look like they have sunk pretty far into the seats.

Steve
Or someone already did a valve job on it and didn't pay attention to what they where doing. Yeah that is one serious head in need of some work. Love the pics of the head that got all mushroomed from a broken valve. Looks like a ballping hammer beat the crap out of it.

that last picture looks almost identical to what happened with my old head......head of a valve broke clean off and put a HOLE in the piston after after playing ping pong with it of course..and that was a SS valve in a built head and a rodd piston...it also left some nice dents in the wall so that built block was gone....

get the guides replaced and some new seals...im sure you can get 1 valve but if you wanted, you could buy some good ss valves.

good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back