The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Longevity 160sx/200sx Tig welder UPGRADE

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamble97

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2006
small town, Illinois
I'll try to make this short. I love my 160sx and the torch is getting annoying as being so bulky. Nobody makes one with a superflex cable. I wanted the same one that is on my other machine. So I brought it in to HTP and let them build me a torch.
It's a 17 for now, but I'll be going down to a 9 soon. Plugs in to the stick connector (won't work on eastwood as there is no stick lead) and it works because the stick connector is connected to the same as where the stock tig torch plugs in.

They tested it and I went home happy as shit and couldn't wait to start welding. My first 2 beads and I was happy as can be. Going to put my helmet down and go back to welding. Just thought I would take a break and let you guys know. They also emailed me and let me know it's for sale on ebay and there will be one for the eastwood soon.

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200916321691]Longevity 160sx 200SX WP9 TIG Torch Upgrade Made in USA Weldcraft | eBay[/ame]

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I will say the plastic front cover on the welder does stick out a hair too much so when first putting the connector in it seems as if it didn't fit, but just push and turn and I assure you it fits and works!

What are those 4 knobs? i see amperage , pre and post flow and clearance effect. But what does the other one say?

Ah downslope nevermind.

Yes it does appear to be a bolt on for yours as well, and welding with a 9 style torch is great, but throwing a superflex cable on it makes it weigh nothing and super easy to maneuver .

Yep should work just fine.
If you want to be 100% sure, use a multimeter to see if you have continuity between the threads on the tig torch and the stick lead. And DONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. May I ask what the relation is between the stick lead and the other connector on my current torch that makes it so now I would be using the stick connector instead of the current one?

You would use both. One for the gas and one for the current. That's how most true tig welders are.

I don't think I explained it as clearly as I wanted. If you look at the photo I posted in my first post. My current tig setup uses the 1st and 3rd connector (from left to right). One is for gas and the other I assume is for the trigger in the torch.

With this new torch that USAWeld offers I would now be using the 1st and 2nd connector. So my question is, why am I using the 2nd connector with the new torch where the stock torch uses the 3rd connector?

Also, I don't see a "trigger button" on the USAWeld torch, does this mean this torch can only be used by using the pedal?

Thank you.

Yes you are correct. This is for those people like me that don't like a bulky torch with a button. You would NEED a foot pedal or use lift arc (DC only)

If you don't have a pedal, why not call eastwood and longevity and see if they will sell you one. I can't imagine it being expensive.

The pin out is the same, but whos to say the pot on the inside is the same. I would call eastwood then longevity and see who can score you a better deal. Or try the one off ebay. It may work. I'm willing to bet it will.

I know the oem one does, but i hate that foot pedal setup so ive been looking for a pedal solution as im getting ready to buy the eastwood tig and prefer the feel of a full foot style pedal.

I know the oem one does, but i hate that foot pedal setup so ive been looking for a pedal solution as im getting ready to buy the eastwood tig and prefer the feel of a full foot style pedal.

It's not all that bad once you get used to it.

I have never used a full size pedal, but this was quite awkward at first. Now i am just used to this pedal, don't even notice it anymore, i will say i tried doing some small manual pulse type action for aluminum the other day (3 pps or so with my foot), and it moves around way to much for me to efficiently do this.

I've heard of people screwing it down to a piece of wood. Let's come up with something. I would love to get a SCC pedal and make my own, but I don't want to spend $150 to test it out. I bought a china made pedal for $80 already and haven't touched it, it's still sitting around. No time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back