The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Long time owner, short time driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC DGNF H2

Probationary Member
Jan 3, 2021
Spokane, Washington
Hello, my name is Devon, I'm 24 and I've been lurking this forum on and off since about '10. Finally decided to make an account now that I've invested some time and money in my DSM. I work for a very small independent shop which I've learned a ton from, I also own a '85 toyota celica GTS which is exclusively a summer car and a '99 subaru forester.

Some background on the car, It's a nearly bone stock early '95 automatic GSX with 137k miles currently on it, build date 4/94. My family bought as my sisters first car back in '05 for $2500. She loved it and drove the hell out of it, parked it in '08 when it started running bad, then gave it to me on my 14th birthday in '10. I knew nothing about fixing cars at the time so it sat in my back yard until '16. I pulled it out of my back yard and took it to my work so I could fix it up and drive it that coming winter.

At that point I did:
  • 4w Brake job
  • All fluids changed
  • VC gasket
  • Plugs, wires, drive belts
  • Rear wheel bearings
  • Alternator
  • Ignition switch
I drove it that winter and hated every day of it. Multiple intake & exhaust leaks made it awful to drive and horrible on gas, drivers door handle broke, ecu would randomly lose its memory and a hatch water leak fogged my interior so bad that the interior iced up every morning. So I parked it that spring at my work, knowing it wouldn't pass the coming emissions test and let it sit for 4 more years. Washington ended its emissions testing in '20 and I knew a lot more about fixing cars so that gave me motivation to work on it again.

This time I decided to be more thorough and do some much needed maintenance:
  • Timing belts, idlers, seals, water pump
  • Re-capped the ECU
  • Drive shaft U-Joints
  • Cleaned the intake and intercooler
  • Exhaust manifold gasket, bolts and flange gasket
  • Went through the entire fuel system
  • Cleaned, greased and re-sprung the door latches
  • Installed a newer OEM door handle and lock
  • Cleaned out all of the drain tubes
I've got a few more maintenance oriented things to do before I start making power, but I'm a whole lot happier with the car now than I was four years ago. It may look worse than it ever has but I'm enjoying daily driving it, it could also pass emissions today if they were still around. I want to shoot for somewhere between 300-350awhp with some nice sticky tires but that's a few years in the future.

Welcome!

I seen your post title and had to read. "Long Time owner short time driver" That's good. I think thats at least 1/2 of us on this forum. Cars spend more time on the jack stands than driving!

Welcome!

I seen your post title and had to read. "Long Time owner short time driver" That's good. I think thats at least 1/2 of us on this forum. Cars spend more time on the jack stands than driving!
Thanks! You're telling me... Hopefully I'm finally done with the extended down time. At least for moment.

Thank you!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back