1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

GVR-4 Long term reliability of turbo engines

Posted by challa, Jul 19, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. challa

challa Probationary Member

Joined Jul 19, 2020
    Andheri West, California
    Hello everyone,,

Turbo engine's reliability in long term

So every new car and especially crossover SUVs are coming with Turbo charged engines.

A friend of mine and a friend of my colleagues who we both consider car aficionado have advised me against a turbo charged engine for a long term use.
    https://snaptube.cam/https://9apps.cam/
    My commute is very small, about 5km one way and my wife's is about 15km one way. Would turbo do better with my wife as it will get time to warm up a bit?

I did a bit of my reading and it seems that turbos were quite unreliable a two decades ago but they seemed to have improved quite a bit, however have they improved enough to last 200-300k?

What do you fine people of Reddit think?

Thanks everyone, this was very enlightening!!!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  2. Hickory-NC-2Ggsx

Hickory-NC-2Ggsx Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2018
    Lincolnton, North Carolina
    My gsx had 211k miles befor I rebuilt the motor. And even then I just rebuilt it out of piece of mind. Turbo cars are not as scary as they seem, Especially stock.

Street Build 454  1

Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 766  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I honestly don't know where the taboo with turbo engines came from. Turbo diesels run until the turbo literally falls apart, old turbo cars that I can think of run just great. The problem comes with abuse, refusal to do maintenance, and refusal to use quality parts. Any engine will have problems if you neglect it. I personally think the attack on turbo engines is from NA or Supercharged only manufacturers trying to discredit the competition so you don't buy into the new turbo hotness. Kinda like the paper company did the hemp industry. (and I am the furthest thing from a pot smoker you'll ever meet)

197  3

2015 Ford Edge Sport
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 4K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
    Hickory-NC-2Ggsx and Sniffbooger like this.
  4. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Short trips where the oil barely gets up to temp can be harsh on things...turbo engines are built with greater tolerances to the piston rings so there's a little more blow-by, plus the additional oil consumption factor of the turbocharger itself which consume a little oil by nature. If the oil stays cold the pressures will be higher and the ability to drain will be worse so the turbo will likely lose more oil slowly past the turbine sealing ring and into the exhaust system, eventually overloading the entire turbine side of the unit with coked oil and cause the turbo to fail. There's no real set limit or timeframe on that so all you can do is minimize short trips on cold engines to the best of your ability and you'll be fine.

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

6K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Ive logged 500k on turbo motors and I can share this. I only ever had to replace one. My maintenance is meticulous and fluids are full synthetic. My sister on the other hand loved to shut cars down hot. Run extended oil changes etc. She blew up turbos in two different cars back in the 80s and swore she would never own another turbo

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. lglracer

lglracer Supporting VIP

Joined Jul 13, 2008
    Sacramento, California
    Ive driven my Galant VR-4 for some time as a daily and as long as you keep up the maintenance the car should last with no issues.

Road Race Build 619  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 577  1

1990 Mitsubishi Galant GSX
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4

Street Build 1K  4

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4

555  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  7. nite owl

nite owl Probationary Member

Joined Sep 13, 2005
    Grass Valley, California
    Well I can tell you I have a 94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD with 274k on the odometer. While doing a valve job a few years back I elected to swap out to an 6 bolt engine so I'm actually on my second engine but the original turbo. I change the oil & filter every 4000 miles and let the engine idle for a minute before shutting it off. This seems to have worked for me all these years and have never had a problem with the turbo....