The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Log Advice Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowborder714

Oct 15, 2006
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
This is posted up on the link forums but figured I'd post it here for some more advice.

My brother and I have been doing some base tuning, trying to get everything running good. I would like other opinions as well. The first log posted (05292008-1) is a 3rd gear pull. The second log (05292008-4) is an idle log. We know that airflowperrev should be around .28, but it seems to like being around .32 and we're not sure how to get that down.

As of right now, these are the settings my bro recommended me to change after looking at the above logs:

Airflow
50Hz - 32
400Hz - 14
1600Hz - (-8)

Fuel
3500 - (-7)
4000 - (-8)
4500 - (-7)
5000 - (-4)
5500 - (-6)
6000 - (-4)
6500 - (-7)
7000 - (-8)
7500 - (-7)
8000 - (-7)

Drop all timing sliders 2 from 4500 on.

Thanks!

Attachments

• run05292008-1.dat
    20.4 KB · Views: 96
  • run05292008-4.dat
    44.4 KB · Views: 94
I made those adjustments as well as a few others and did another pull today. I'm still very rich even though I've tried taking fuel out. I'm also seeing knock from 6k+ RPM's on, yet the timing is really low. Anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• run06032008-2.dat
    22 KB · Views: 91
Are you sure base timing is correct? I would zero out the 2000hz slider and see if that makes boostest and map match up top.

Are you sure base timing is correct? I would zero out the 2000hz slider and see if that makes boostest and map match up top.

I'm not 100% positive base timing is correct, but was planning on checking it soon. I'll be doing that in the next day or two, pending on weather.

According to Jeff's page, I shouldn't zero out the 2000Hz slider since it's past 100% VE (out of the 5000 - 5500 RPM range):
http://www.jeffgst.com/gmafcalibration1.html

Base timing might be why it is knocking.

I am pretty sure Jeff means if you are going off a boost guage to only do where the engine is at 100%ve. Since you have the map and boostest to compare you can adjust the 2000hz slider. If you don't want to make that big of a change then I would still change it in smaller increments. You do want the boostest to mach actual boost as much as possible throughout the whole run. This includes before and after the engine reaches 100%ve. If his site was suggesting to only make adjustments at 100%ve then there would be no need to make adjustments at some of the lower sliders.

Sorry, I linked to the wrong page. This is what I was talking about:
http://www.jeffgst.com/boostestcurve.html

Notice how BoostEst (Blue line) and Actual Boost (Yellow line) climb up as boost builds until 5300 RPM where it peaks. Boost stabilizes all the way to redline, but BoostEst begins to drop rapidly as we get closer to redline. This is due to the drop in VE as we travel further into the RPM range.

This is the ideal BoostEst Curve. The curve rises, then peaks in the 5000-6000 RPM range, and then rapidly falls as we get further into redline.

I see what you are reading now. I figured you would want them to overlap eachother as much as possible. I do mine off the boost guage so mine isnt calibrated past 5500. When I get a map sensor I was going to do how I was describing. Maybe I will pm Jeff on link forums and see what he says. I will let you know what he says.

This is what Jeff said.

"You definitely do NOT want BoostEst and a MAP sensor to match after 6000RPM. If they do, then you will run very rich. Some of the best setups with 280 cams and SMIM's have a VE of around 87-89% at 8000 RPM."

Bringing this back from the dead rather then start a new thread.

I just want to confirm, since I'm in the process of getting my airflow calibrated.

Your actual boost readings AND your boostest should match up until you hit the 5-5.5K mark on the tach when you hit 100% VE correct? I just want to be positive of this before I decide I'm calibrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back