The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Lofty is not sure what to do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lofty

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2008
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Alright. I bought a transmission from this guy about a month ago for 150$
He said it was kinda hard to get into 1st and 2nd.
I said alright. That's fine, It goes in without grinds right? I said. He agreed.
He agreed that every other gear was fine asides from its difficulty getting into first sometimes. Yeah. Bullshit.

Month later. Trans installed. Everythings up to par. It goes into first, let out the clutch. Just grinds. Won't even get the car moving. 2nd grinds, 3rd grinds. No reverse at all. Everything in my clutch system is perfect. Even inspected by Tim Zimmer. I texted the kid asking him why he lied. He pulls some "The bellhousing alone is worth 150$, sorry it's not a stage 3 trans"

I even settled for "atleast give me 50$ back since it's not what you said it is". No dice.

Not sure what to do, This car has been down for 3 months. I don't have a daily driver. I have an Ae86 project. Looks like I'm gonna have to sell that. I don't want to. But... Ugh.
What do I do guys? Anyone wanna send me a transmission? :(
I have a paypal account too.. Haha... hah. :cry:
I might completely bail on dsms, I don't have many options. I have no job. I have no reliable DD. I've been job searching forever. No luck.
I should print out stickers that say " I HELPED LOFTY" for 10$..... :ohdamn:
What should I do?

Me personally, I would be knocking on his door with his broken ass transmission laying in his front yard.... But again, it took you a month to find out if the trans was bad in the first place. Eh, if you bought one from a junk yard, and a month goes by, they would tell you to buy another one...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Seriously, that sucks.

Why does it seem like you're always breaking transmissions?

Old one was from a Galant vr4 evo. Clashed with the rear end and t case.

Blew out viscous coupler and center diff with normal driving.

My engine is jdm yo. Awesome.

:banghead:

Damm dude that sucks, Id be really pissed off... I bought a 2G awd 5speed tranny off some guy December 2009, traveled all the way to maryland to pick it up. The guy said it was good but i dont know that since I havent installed in my Talon yet cause I still need some engine parts, nothing major... I paid $360 for it so im hoping it works for that price, he seemed honest and owned a shop so yea i hope I dont have any bad luck like you man. good luck on finding a different tranny though:thumb:

Before you go and abandon this tranny you can probably have it rebuilt pretty cheap as long as it doesn't need gears that it is and assuming the center and front diffs arent completely ####ed.....if it is just shift forks and synchro's (I pray to god it is) maybe a couple of bearings it shouldnt be that expensive if I where close to your location I'd do it for you. Also if you fix this one you wont have to waste your money dealing with some nutless duesch bag and you will be on the road again.

...I even settled for "atleast give me 50$ back since it's not what you said it is". No dice....

...I have no job...

Those are the two main problems here. You need to be more "assertive" when someone tries to screw you, and more importantly, you need stable income before you start turning wrenches. Even if you have to flip burgers.

Sell Toyota, rebuild trans.

Make your own job, cut grass or something.

Temp agency.

It's seriously not as bad as it sounds. The local one was hiring people for $8 to cut grass in the local park.

I called one up last year and they had me a job within 5 hrs. I worked for them the summer prior, so all my paperwork was already done. I started working that night.

I've worked through a temp agency for the last 2 summers between school terms. Worked in a clean room the one summer making syringes for CAT scans and MRIs for $8.50/hr. Last summer I worked in a place making plastic jugs for $9.25/hr.

It's not great pay, but it was money. Plus, if you find a better job, they aren't surprised when people quit on them with little notice. We had people all the time who never showed up, stopped coming, or left in the middle of a shift never to return. One guy even left his brother to find his own way home... 30 miles away. A weeks notice would make them happy.

1. Don't refer to yourself in the third person. It pisses Lando off.
2. GET A JOB. Don't give me the 'there's nothing around" stuff. I went to HS in a podunk town (that I still live in) and was never without a job since the age of 15. Did I take some shitty lowpaying jobs? Hell yes I did.

That said, unless the words "as is" were uttered or written, I'd give the little ########## more flak for screwing you.

well, when i sold my mystery tranny, i told him up front if it doesnt work...he cant bring it back-BUT let him know that Shep would pay $150 for the core, so at least he would break even if it was bad (minus shipping, and the pain in the ass it would be to install it, find out its junk, take out, ship, etcc...)

Mech has a trans but he doesn't even remember where he got it from, he might let you buy it or something.

Lofty would probably sleep with you then. Lofty thinks everyone is talking in 3rd person now. It's bizarre he's thinking.

Do you want a career that pays good? A career that pays you to learn the trade? A career with jobs in every state?

Join the United Association of Pipe Fitters, Steam Fitters, Sprinkler Fitters, and Plumbers.

Steamfitters Local 601

UA.org: About UA

THIS!!!

Pipe fitters make insane amounts of money, especially if you get into the high pressure pipes used in large factories or boilers. You might need to travel around a bit to follow the work, but the pay is easily worth it.

My dad is a construction project manager, and has occasionally overseen projects involving massive boilers and steam turbines, and he tells me that in Quebec it is just impossible to find guys to do those sort of jobs, as most of the frogs prefer to be on chômage. Pipe fitters are unionized and can easily make up to 80$ an hour!!! Sometimes I wish I'm not doing my BA in history and geography...

Quick search in Milwaukee, WI Craigslist results in many other options for getting around.

lets see.. 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass 2 door coupe - $650

1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass 2 door coupe. Auto tranny, 3.1 v6 motor. Pioneer Cd player, Needs front ball joint, its not to bad tho. Heat works, no a/c. Drivers door doesnt open from the outside. Drivers window doesnt roll down. [[needs muffler pretty loud]]. The digital odometer doesnt work, the rest of the gauges do work. Interior is fair, out side is rusty. Rusty but trusty. ITS A RUNNER$$$$$$$ no reasonable offer will be refused, motivated seller.

maybe you can sell the toyota for $650, use this for temp. transportation for a job, make some money and youll be back in the talon in no time.

beautiful red interior. oh, and its a runnerrrrr

Lofty would probably sleep with you then. Lofty thinks everyone is talking in 3rd person now. It's bizarre he's thinking.

I don't think mech would like that too much but you should probably get ahold of him and find out what's up.

It's not to hard to find someone willing to pay you for something... legal, even. Also, once I worked for a temp agency: I was sent to the DSM factory to break-down buffet tables, and I picked-up trash on the grounds. I think I was payed to get a short tour of the factory, too! That was only one day, but it was fun.

Have Tim take a look inside your trans. And buy a bike!:sneaky:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back