The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lock up vs. no Lock up (TQ Converters)??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbeing1

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2005
Palm Beach, Florida
What is the difference between the two?? I ordered a highstall race no lock up converter....was this a bad choice?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!:thumb:

I'm not sure how much you know about what torque converters do, So i'm going to go ahead and skip basic design things and go right on to what "lock-up" is.

A torque converter that locks up will, physically lock the input shaft to the "flywheel" of the engine. this happens when you are cruising at a constant speed. if you have a converter that does not lockup, then this connection is never "locked", and the engine is always just spinning the turbine. This will reduce gas mileage, and increase heat inside the transmission. I would get a temp gauge on your trans ASAP. you're most likely going to need to add a cooler.

Many people who race TTA's or GN's use a lock up trans, usually at about the 1/8th mile mark, go through the traps in 3rd gear instead of 4th. My TTA is stock, but the two TTA's I've driven at the race track (my father's) have had lock up, I think, at least for racing it is better. I also know, you don't lock it up on the line.

drivemusicnow said:
I'm not sure how much you know about what torque converters do, So i'm going to go ahead and skip basic design things and go right on to what "lock-up" is.

A torque converter that locks up will, physically lock the input shaft to the "flywheel" of the engine. this happens when you are cruising at a constant speed. if you have a converter that does not lockup, then this connection is never "locked", and the engine is always just spinning the turbine. This will reduce gas mileage, and increase heat inside the transmission. I would get a temp gauge on your trans ASAP. you're most likely going to need to add a cooler.

yea, the automater temp gauge and a ipt cooler are on its way. So are you saying that this was basically not a good choice? I am driving this car on the roads for most of the time...did i screw up?:(

It's dependant on your tranny. You usually can't put a lock-up torque converter into a non-lock-up tranny. The lock up feature is within the tranny as well as the converter and involves electronics, different input shaft, clutches, etc.

So if you have a 1g, you got the right converter. 2g, you need a lock-up.

wiz

hmm, well I talked to the company I bought it from and he says that for the amount of power im putting down (apprx-400whp) the lock up one will shred itself up, he said after 350whp it starts tearing away. He also said the no lock up tq converter will go right in my lock up tranny. Can you guys give me some insite on this, I mean i sorta know the guy and hes a really knowlegable person but id like some other opinions. thanks!

I hate to be cliche, but Russ Coxe ran a manually switched lockup billet converter.
Talk with John about the steps taken to strengthen the lockup clutch on a restalled converter.
www.ipttrans.com

well not much i can really do now, i need the car running and i have this one, the guy says it will work fine for me and on the highway it might act a little different if i step on it but thats it and I said if it doesnt i want another one and he said ok. idk, well see what happens, im crossing my fingers.

Sorry It was by bad, I mixed up converters,

He now is the owner of a lock up unit,

I have a non lock up Drag ready 1G unit now laying on my shelf if anyone wants it, I will give a good discount because I honestly dont have the space in my shop, $400 and its yours,

Cheers

Ian
www.rezlo.com

Hey,
Yea it seems it was a mistake and I got the correct one sent to me very promptly. I put it in and it works fantastic! Wow, who knew awd launches were so great! Thanks alot Rezlo, whoever gets that 1g converter gets a steal!
-Shane

I'm glad thatwas straightened out. I've been wondering about how a non-lockup converter would have worked with a lockup trans...:confused:

Rezlo said:
Sorry It was by bad, I mixed up converters,

He now is the owner of a lock up unit,

I have a non lock up Drag ready 1G unit now laying on my shelf if anyone wants it, I will give a good discount because I honestly dont have the space in my shop, $400 and its yours,

Cheers

Ian
www.rezlo.com
Still available?
What stall speed, etc?
Pm me with info.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back