The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Local help requested

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie90GST

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I have a 98 gst, about a week ago it threw the random misfire code, bucked, sputtered, backfired and quit. I had it towed home, changed the spark plugs (checked gaps) plug wires, coil pack, fuel filter. after theat it seemed ok till it got to operating temp the thre another code for misfire cylnder 3, i changed the injectors out the it stopped throwing cels but the bucking is still there. I took it to the stealership for a 1 hour diagnostic, they said all the sensors were fine. i noticed after he had it running for a bit that it was smoking from the exhaust, looked white as he took off on a test drive, they want to test fuel pressure but want to charge me for 2 more hours, I could replace the fuel pump and fpr for that price. anyway its threw random misfire again at the dealership. After I got it home i took off the egr and vacuum tested it, it seems to be working fine. the timing is correct btw so I;m at a loss. any ideas?

Is there anyone in san antonio that could maybe come look at her and help me figure this out?

Have you had any luck fixing the problem? So did you change out the coil pack with a new one or did you test it or....mine was bucking a few months ago so what I did was hook up a timing light to the each of the spark plug wires and rev the engine I could see that number 3 would stop firing changed the coil pack and that fixed the problem.

i bought a brand new coil pack, plugs and wires, and its still doing it, i even replaced the fpr, had a fuel pressure test done and nothing.

Have you done a compression test? White smoke could mean you have a blown head gasket.

i did check for that, compression is 175-180, i just changed the power transistor and got a change, now it dips idle and its running so rich that i;m getting unburnt gas at the muffler.

sounds like your fuel pressure could be too high. check to see if your oil smells like gas.

No luck, last thing i tried was to unbolt the downpipe to check if maybe the cat was clogged but no change. I live in the N.E. area off naco and o'connor.

Here's a new contact referral to this neighborhood:

Diamond Star Racing
5727 Old Seguin Road
(210)550-7911

Owners: Rocky & Cyndi Castilleja

I personally recommend them for any kind of work you may need, since they have been in business for quite a while and have seen their accomplishments in the DSM world (both on and off the track)!

Enjoy.....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back