The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Local exhaust shop 3in turbo-back

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your local exhaust shop is a real hit and miss, but if you know what you want before you go there it may prove worthwhile.

A friend of mine recommended that I go get my exhaust done-up by a local shop since I would save a ton of money. This is especially the case if some of you don't live in rusted regions. Of course many shops vary and some offer stainless steel, mandrel bends, etc. I own a DSM and its a 1G so I chose to go with a press bent 3in setup with a 3in cat, and a magnaflow 3in to 4in out. From the Turbo they made a downpipe using my existing downpipe, which I wasn't really crazy about. They basically took the existing downpipe, cut the flange out, and welded it on to the 3in piping.

Since it was going to take them a few hours to make I dropped my car off, and went to a buddies house to hang out for a bit thinking that I would be able to come back and it would be done. Well I went back a few hours later and they had just finished up with the downpipe, so I stuck around in fear that if I didnt supervise the install, it would be really botched.

They proceeded to press bend the 3 in piping and in reality it wasn't that bad. Since it's 3in they made it go under the axle and it only rubs on really agressive driveways with Eiback Sportlines. I was a bit disappointed with the whole downpipe issue, but after arguing for awhile they agreed that when i upgraded my turbo they would weld on a different flange made from scratch.

The horsepower increase was incredible, dropping at least 8/10's off my ET. With the new catalytic convertor I passed emissions with flying colors with no SAFC adjustments, and a fluctuating ISC. Its also very quiet at idle with a loud rumble under boost. The police don;t even look at me twice, but hte rumble love to set off sensative car alarms :)

For $465 you can't beat the price, but if I were to do it again I would have purchased an aftermarket downpipe from Buscher or someone else, and had them do a cat-back for me since the downpipe was a nightmare, and after being at the track yesterday it now leaks alot until its warm. Still for $465, I got a Magnaflow racing muffler, 3in racing cat, and a good job from the downpipe on back.

Attachments

• downpipe.jpg
    downpipe.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 6,933
  • magnaflow.jpg
    magnaflow.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 7,284
  • undercar1.jpg
    undercar1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 6,910
  • undercar2.jpg
    undercar2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 6,874
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back