The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Lite engine mods for no more than 2,000$

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red talon

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
billings, Montana
So I'm looking to put some " bolt-on's" to my 4g63t engine. Like a larger turbo new turbo manifold, larger down pipe, and some new cams and 3rd gen. lifters. I don't have a lot of money and would like to do all this for under two grand. So I thought I'd ask on here for some advice and some help. Thanks!!

So I'm looking to put some " bolt-on's" to my 4g63t engine. Like a larger turbo new turbo manifold, larger down pipe, and some new cams and 3rd gen. lifters. I don't have a lot of money and would like to do all this for under two grand. So I thought I'd ask on here for some advice and some help. Thanks!!

What mods do you currently have?

maintenance first... as in timing belt and ALL components.. Then something to tune and log with. Then a wideband 02 sensor. after that you can look in the classifieds for power adders.. Do it the right way, the first time. I think link, WBo2, a timing belt kit, a used 16g, used 190 walbro, and used 660's should be right around 2 grandish... good luck

Defiantly start with maintenance. Timing belt and components. 16 g wouldn't be a bad idea as far as turbo as well as a must have wide band. Then I'd throw an ECM link on there with a 190 fuel pump and I'm sure you can fine some 550's on here pretty cheap. That will give you a lot more power in your car.

After maintenance, get 560cc injectors, 190lph fuel pump, 2G MAF, wideband, EGT, boost gauge, good mbc and a tuning device such as an SAFC II/Neo and a datalogger.

You can't do a larger turbo without fuel mods, you cannot utilize fuel mods without a proper tuning solution. Sure you can put on a larger turbo, now you need to let it breathe with a better intake and free flowing exhaust. All that hot air that is compressed needs cooled down so you'll need a more efficient intercooler. Cams are fine assuming you know how they actually work (as it seems you don't), you'll want to get adjustable cam gears as well to dial in the cams to a proper center line and then advance or retard, and let's not forget about the minimum of a boost gauge and wideband sensor. It can be done, start looking for used parts.

This is of course after doing ALL maintenance work of 100% timing side, boost leak testing, replacing bad sensors, fixing leaks, flushing fluids, etc.

Once you do get all the maintence out of the way, I would honestly start out with either DS*Map or ECMLink as your first mod. Nothing better than being able to tune the stock platform and be able to log as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well so far I have got all the maintenance done and it runs fine now. I have gauges from glow shift. And I have a 90 talon which I'm not positive but I have heard that they have different ecu's than like a 92? I'm sure if this makes any difference? I have changed all my fluids and have an Exedy clutch and flywheel in it.

Honestly i really wouldnt say you need a bigger turbo or a manifold.. the stock turbo on your 1g is good for over 300 horsepower from what ive read, and for the budget you have id say thats plenty of power. I'd just upgrade your fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail, exhaust, and like other people have said just take care of some maintinance parts as well.

Boost Gauge? MBC? RRE, Burshur, and this site all have pretty great upgrade paths to follow as money allows, I would suggest to do some reading on those primarily.

I'm a noobie. Forgive me LOL

Its all good if you don't know for sure don't just suggest things to people. I in no way have all the answers, but that's why the things I don't know about I let other members respond so the poster gets the correct answers. It would suck to go out and buy an intake before you get a wideband or boost guage or other supporting mods you know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back