1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Lite engine mods for no more than 2,000$

Posted by red talon, Sep 10, 2011

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. red talon

red talon Proven Member

Joined Apr 23, 2011
    billings, Montana
    So I'm looking to put some " bolt-on's" to my 4g63t engine. Like a larger turbo new turbo manifold, larger down pipe, and some new cams and 3rd gen. lifters. I don't have a lot of money and would like to do all this for under two grand. So I thought I'd ask on here for some advice and some help. Thanks!!

2. Pestilence

Pestilence Probationary Member

Joined Sep 8, 2011
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    What mods do you currently have?

3. marineeagle28

marineeagle28 Proven Member

Joined Aug 30, 2009
    Jacksonville, Florida
    maintenance first... as in timing belt and ALL components.. Then something to tune and log with. Then a wideband 02 sensor. after that you can look in the classifieds for power adders.. Do it the right way, the first time. I think link, WBo2, a timing belt kit, a used 16g, used 190 walbro, and used 660's should be right around 2 grandish... good luck

4. Boostnvegas

Boostnvegas Proven Member

Joined Jan 21, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Defiantly start with maintenance. Timing belt and components. 16 g wouldn't be a bad idea as far as turbo as well as a must have wide band. Then I'd throw an ECM link on there with a 190 fuel pump and I'm sure you can fine some 550's on here pretty cheap. That will give you a lot more power in your car.

335  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  5. Pestilence

Joined Sep 8, 2011
    IMO

1. Full Maintenance
    2. Intake
    3. Exhaust
    4. Fuel
    5. Turbo
    6. FMIC

6. 9!'clipseDOHC

9!'clipseDOHC Moderator

Joined Aug 24, 2003
    El Paso, Texas

Street Build 3K  33

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.102 @ 111.220 · 1G DSM
  7. Boost_Addict_88

Boost_Addict_88 Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2008
    Brazil, BC, Canada
    After maintenance, get 560cc injectors, 190lph fuel pump, 2G MAF, wideband, EGT, boost gauge, good mbc and a tuning device such as an SAFC II/Neo and a datalogger.

8. LiquidX

LiquidX DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 19, 2008
    Anywhere, Pennsylvania
    You can't do a larger turbo without fuel mods, you cannot utilize fuel mods without a proper tuning solution. Sure you can put on a larger turbo, now you need to let it breathe with a better intake and free flowing exhaust. All that hot air that is compressed needs cooled down so you'll need a more efficient intercooler. Cams are fine assuming you know how they actually work (as it seems you don't), you'll want to get adjustable cam gears as well to dial in the cams to a proper center line and then advance or retard, and let's not forget about the minimum of a boost gauge and wideband sensor. It can be done, start looking for used parts.

This is of course after doing ALL maintenance work of 100% timing side, boost leak testing, replacing bad sensors, fixing leaks, flushing fluids, etc.

Once you do get all the maintence out of the way, I would honestly start out with either DS*Map or ECMLink as your first mod. Nothing better than being able to tune the stock platform and be able to log as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  9. red talon

red talon Proven Member

Joined Apr 23, 2011
    billings, Montana
    Well so far I have got all the maintenance done and it runs fine now. I have gauges from glow shift. And I have a 90 talon which I'm not positive but I have heard that they have different ecu's than like a 92? I'm sure if this makes any difference? I have changed all my fluids and have an Exedy clutch and flywheel in it.

10. Boosted DSM 32

Boosted DSM 32 Proven Member

Joined Aug 21, 2011
    McDonald, Ohio
    Honestly i really wouldnt say you need a bigger turbo or a manifold.. the stock turbo on your 1g is good for over 300 horsepower from what ive read, and for the budget you have id say thats plenty of power. I'd just upgrade your fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail, exhaust, and like other people have said just take care of some maintinance parts as well.

671  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.088 @ 120.270 · 1G DSM
  11. superorange

superorange Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2008
    hollywood, Florida

Its not a civic LOL intake shouldn't be the first mod

12. Pestilence

Joined Sep 8, 2011
    I'm a noobie. Forgive me LOL

13. Aerofury

Aerofury Proven Member

Joined Aug 11, 2011
    Williamsburg, Pennsylvania
    Boost Gauge? MBC? RRE, Burshur, and this site all have pretty great upgrade paths to follow as money allows, I would suggest to do some reading on those primarily.

14. superorange

superorange Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2008
    hollywood, Florida
    Its all good if you don't know for sure don't just suggest things to people. I in no way have all the answers, but that's why the things I don't know about I let other members respond so the poster gets the correct answers. It would suck to go out and buy an intake before you get a wideband or boost guage or other supporting mods you know.