The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Limp / Fail-Safe Mode

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonTSIYHL

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wisconsin
My car is a early 92 talon tsi awd, I am in limp mode. I have checked the resistance on most of the electrical components and compared them to the values in the factory service manual. They all looked ok. I am not getting any TCU codes and the MPI code is normal. I looked at the TCU board and nothing jumped out at fried or leaking. I tested the voltage coming into the TCU from the inhibitor switch, and the corresponding wires showed 12v when the shifter was in those wire's positions.

I checked the voltage for the A and B Shift Control Solenoids at the harness leaving the TCU, they showed .07v while in gears they should be open. The Pressure Control Solenoid valve wire had 0v while in gear(L).

My question is, does the status of limp mode turn off both shift control solenoids and the pressure control solenoid? or just the Shift Control Solenoids?

I'm figuring the TCU is bad since all three are not operating but want to make sure in case something else is causing the Limp mode.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back