The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

LIghtweight pulley question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostinLaser

Probationary Member
Sep 21, 2003
New_JerseyUS
whats up everyone. thanks for checking out my post. i wanted to get some different pulleys on my car to free up a lil more horse.i dont want to spend too much money on em and i see aem makes em for pretty cheap..has anyone heard anything about them or is there any others you would recomend that arent too costly? to anyone on that replys i really appriciate it. thanks

You could spend your money elsewhere and get more of a power gain.

So is there a difference between a harmonic balancer and a harmonic dampener? Technically, I believe ours is a harmonic dampener. But what I don't know is if that makes a difference or not. It seems that whenever I see discussions about harmonic balancers, it's about V-8s.

Hi,

Buschur makes an underdrive damper pulley for the 1g's and 2g's. You could probably use this with the AEM or Unorthodox Racing underdrive accessory pulleys, not sure though, and not sure what belt length you would need.

Bill

hm -- I have talked about this on a honda forums since I own a Honda.
let me try to dig up some info about the harmonic balancer

"Is my crank pulley a harmonic/torsional/vibration damper or a harmonic balancer?"

People are getting the pulleys confused with the harmonic dampers found on some V6 / V8 engines. "Harmonic Balancer" is a term that is used loosely in the automotive industry. Technically, this type of device does not exist. The "balancer" part comes from engines that are externally balanced and have a counterweight cast into the damper, hence the merging of the two terms. None of the applications that we offer utilize a counterweight as part of the pulley as these engines are internally balanced.

The pulleys on most of the new import and smaller domestic engines have an elastomer (rubber ring) incorporated into the pulley that looks similar to a harmonic damper. The elastomer in the OEM pulley serves as an isolator, which is there to suppress natural vibration and noise from the engine itself, the A/C compressor, P/S pump, and alternator. This is what the manufacturers call NVH (Noise Vibration & Harshness) when referring to noticeable noise and vibration in the passenger compartment. It is important to note that in these applications, this elastomer is somewhat inadequate in size, as well as life span, to act as an effective torsional damper. If you look at the pulleys on some of the imports there is no rubber to be found at all. We have samples of these, mostly from Acura/Honda, the Nissan Altima, 1.8L Eclipse, 2.3L Fords, Chrysler 2.2L's, and 1.8L VW's, to mention a few. This is not to say that with our pulleys you will hear a ton of noise or feel more vibration from your engine compartment. Most who have installed and driven a vehicle with our pulleys will notice the engine actually feels smoother. This is a natural result of replacing the heavy steel crank pulley with a CNC-machined aluminum pulley. NVH is variable and unique to every car. NVH will increase with the installation of an aftermarket intake and/or exhaust, for example. Think of OEM intake systems in newer cars, they use baffles and resonators in the intake to quiet all the intake noise. Aftermarket intakes eliminate these resonators and create dramatic increases in engine noise from the throttle opening and closing. So to most tuners, certain types of NVH can make the driving experience more enjoyable.

The purpose of a traditional harmonic damper is to protect against crank failure from torsional movement. This is not necessary in most modern engines because of the many advances in engine design and materials. Factors such as stroke, displacement, inline, V configurations, power output, etc., do determine when and how these harmonics and torsional movements occur.

Again, there is a lot of internet hearsay about the pulleys. When motor failures occur, too often people are quick to blame the pulley first, rather than taking the time to look logically into why there was a problem. We hope that after reading this you will understand the crank pulleys better.

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_pulleys.html <--this should answer most of your questions.
I am not sure of the relations of pulleys and dsms although i should do a search.

>http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_pulleys.html <--this should answer most
> of your questions.

Right... :rolleyes: UR was the first company to peddle these pulley to the import community and spread disinformation on what those things do. Since this is a DSM Tuners forum, I am going to focus on 4G63T motor. This is what our technical manual has to say about our crankshaft pulley:

“The crankshaft pulley not only drives the water pump and alternator, but also functions as a torsional damper to reduce TORSIONAL VIBRATION OF THE CRANKSHFT”

Notice how it does not say anything about dapanning accesory belts? Pershaps in some cars those pulleys serve other purposes, but in 4G63 they are IN FACT there to protect the crankshaft!

Frankly, I am not even sure why rubber accesory belts even need additional damping on any application (anyone?), but that is NOT what is going on in our cars!

Leon
RR

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back