The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Lightweight Flywheel Choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinbassplyr

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 15, 2010
Waterford, Michigan
First off, yes I've searched the forum and read all the threads I could find about this topic on here and other forums, but I'm still unsure and want more specific info/opinions. The new 6 bolt motor is getting ready to go in and, obviously, I have to change the flywheel to a 6 bolt. I'm really torn between the ACT and Fidanza. I had/have the 7 bolt Fidanza on the original 7 bolt before it crapped out and while the acceleration was nice it could get frustrating/dicey in heavy traffic or when having to stop fast (car would shut off). As stated in other posts, my car is going to be a DD FIRST and a weekend/hobby track car second so I would like to tow the line of better DD closer than what's best for the track. I know that guys are DD Fidanza flywheels but I don't know what their daily driving conditions are. Are they doing this in stop-and-go highway rush hour traffic (I live in Metro-Detroit) or is it more surface street, outer suburbia driving? I know that the ACT has 2lbs on the Fidanza which should help the inertia issue for take offs from dead stops, but some people say that the 2lbs makes no difference and the wheels respond/feel the same. Anyone had both of them and have opinions either way? I'll sacrifice the 2lbs rotating mass/quicker reving of the Fidanza if it means safer/less stressful daily driving.

IMO the ACT flywheel is the way to go... I've had the same older steetlite in my car for about 6-7 years(resurfaced a few times) and it's always held up great... .

I have never cared for a flywheel that has to different materials in it with different expansion rates (Fidanza)...

As far as the issues with lightweight flywheels(stalling) there are a lot of other factors that come into play that can cause those kind of issues to pop up as well or make them worse... .

Where that 2lbs resides in relation to the center is going to be the biggest determinant of how much a difference it will make.

Did you try to increase your fuel cut offset to help it catch its self on the way back to idle?

I have never cared for a flywheel that has to different materials in it with different expansion rates (Fidanza)...

As far as the issues with lightweight flywheels(stalling) there are a lot of other factors that come into play that can cause those kind of issues to pop up as well or make them worse... .

I hear you on the stalling thing. It did become less of a concern once I realized what was going on. (no one told me/I hadn't done the research on the affects of light flywheels) My main concern was being in very heavy traffic and feeling like I was on a hairy trigger. You can't afford to stall the car in that kind of traffic, but when you have to rev to 1500-2000rpm just to roll 20ft and not "take off" it can get tricky. If the added 2lbs from the ACT helps ease that transition that would be great, but if there's no difference I might as well go with less rotating mass (Fidanza) and just get better at handling it. This is why I'm looking for specific "this is how/where I drive" examples.

I would definitely go with the ACT streetlite. I used to have the Fidanza and as a DD car, it was annoying. If I took too long between shifts, or if stepped on the clutch in traffic, the car would always stall. Also, at a traffic light starting, I would need to give it more gas. I think you need a little more mass and momentum for a DD car.

Just my .02

My 2 cent's. I regret putting my ACT flywheel in. Difference isn't that big of a notice say- compare to adding an intake to the stock motor.
If I can change my flywheel to stock easy like changing spark plugs, I would.

I have had the ACT and the Fidanza. I like the ACT much better I think the Fidanza was too light and I had more issues with staling. I ended getting rid of the Fidanza (and will never use one again) because one of the ring gear bolts came off and came out the side of my bellhousing, there are to many pieces and little bolts etc..

i have a fidanza in this car and had an act in my old car i really dont feel like either are much different if anything the fidanza revs a little faster and i dunno where everyone's stalling problems are coming from but mine never stalls

My 2 cent's. I regret putting my ACT flywheel in. Difference isn't that big of a notice say- compare to adding an intake to the stock motor.
If I can change my flywheel to stock easy like changing spark plugs, I would.

Difference isn't that big in what way? Is it going to make a huge difference in hp?, no, it won't. Will it make the rev's faster?, most definitely. For most, the change is rev's is well worth it, especially for performance driving. It makes rev matching much easier/better. Sure, if you drive like a granny all day long, you probably won't notice much difference. If you plan on doing any sort of performance driving, its well worth doing.

My vote is for the ACT streetlight as well. Just the right amount of weight & can be resurfaced when required.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't notice much. I only notice the car slows down faster without feet on gas. But I would still change it if the chance occur. IMO, one of the upgrades I wish I never did.

i have a fidanza in this car and had an act in my old car i really dont feel like either are much different if anything the fidanza revs a little faster and i dunno where everyone's stalling problems are coming from but mine never stalls

Same here i have a findanza and love it, with no stalling whatsoever.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back