The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
I am fixing my valve tix by taking out the lifters or the auto valve lash adjusters. I have the valves cover off, the engine is at top dead center and I am on 3# cylinder. I got instructions off the net, now with either a tool or a standard screw driver press down on the valve and remove the rocker arm then remove the lifter. Which then I will clean out.
The question is where do I push down, The valve has the spring around is and the metal cap on top of that( forget the name of that) where do I push down with out damaging anything, I will probably have to push a bit so I do not want to damage anything. please help?

Get some revised lifters off Ebay. Fairly cheap and I heard they totally rid you of lifter tick, not first hand experience though.

I put mine in about a month ago and the lifter tick is gone. I actually found when i pulled the old ones out, whoever rebuilt the motor before me mixed and matched the different lifter generations.

Nobody buy those...

I want them. Yes, new lifters will solve your problem. Revised lifters will solve the problem longer.

Updated lifters would be like refurbished??

Thanks for that link, I just dont want to spend tons of money on lifters right now...my main concern is getting rid of the ticking. What oil would you guys suggest to put it my car after I change the lifters weight wise?? I heard 10w-40...I do live in michigan so in the winter I need to run something different correct?

Thanks again.

4x4 tsi said:
Updated lifters would be like refurbished??

Thanks for that link, I just dont want to spend tons of money on lifters right now...my main concern is getting rid of the ticking. What oil would you guys suggest to put it my car after I change the lifters weight wise?? I heard 10w-40...I do live in michigan so in the winter I need to run something different correct?

Thanks again.

no... not refurbished. basically "revised" would mean that our lifters were supersceded by a new part, meaning mitsu found out that our lifters were crap and went back to the drawing board to make it better. therefore any lifter you buy anywhere right now should be the "newly revised" ones.. either from dealer or an aftermarket location.

i just ordered a new set from slowboy, they are made by topline but they got rid of my nasty ticking

can't u just clean the stock ones and get rid of the problem?

i did clean mine about a year or so ago, but they got clogged again so i just ordered a new set

Cool, thanks for all the info everyone. I will probably just order a new set soon.

Thanks.

All i want you to reply with is:
1. Did YOU have Lifter tick? not your friend or your cousin or whoever. YOU!
2. What method did you use? (cleaning, replacing with revised, etc)
3. Did it cure it?
4. Where did you buy your lifters if you bought revised ones and how much did you pay for it.

I am wondering this because i have the usual lifter tick, i took them out and cleaned the #### out of them, primed them and everything, and they tick just as bad maybe worse. So i want to replace them with the revised, but i wanna know how many people actually did this for THEMSELVES and if it actually did fix it.

Thanks.

I fixed my lifter tick for a little while with Lucas Synthetic Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. Its a additive. I put it in with my new oil and my lifters didn't tick for about a month, then it came back. So if you really want to get rid of it for good don't use that stuff. :sneaky:

1. Yes
2. Well first I had a shop replace them, BIG mistake ($320 for the freakin lifters straight from mitsubishi, revised) the lifter tick was gone for a good two years. This year I needed to use Smoke Stop to stop the exhaust from smoking, another BIG mistake..it brought back lifter TICK horridly.

I tried a quick fix, which involved buying two oil filters, motor flush and some 10W-30 Syntec Motor Oil. Pulled the first oil filter, put a cheap ghetto valve craft oil filter on, ran the motor flush. Pulled that filter, drained the oil, put a new filter on, threw in some motor oil..hoping for the best...no lifter tick still there like a mofo.

So I went ahead and decided to do the VFAQ Lifter cleaning solution, 6 hrs of labor I was done and the lifter tick was gone briefly for maybe one day..then it came back strong as ever. I suspect one (or more) of the lifters is collapsed and I didn't realize it. The car is loud enough to where I don't want to drive it, but it definitely sounds like a serious case of lifter tick.

3. replacing fixed them, cleaning did not.
4. The first set was from mitsubishi, it could have been 2nd generation lifters and not third, I plan on buying another set from eBay sometime in the next few weeks..until then I'm not driving the damn thing.

1. Yes on the last 4 2.0 liter cars I had
2. 2 of the cars, ignored it since I didnt have them that long. The other two I put new revised lifters in it.
3. Sure did
4. Bought them from DSmotorsport.com, price wasnt too bad but forget how much

cleaning doesnt last

1. I had lifter tick constantly, even after the car warmed up.

2. I used a can of Restore (little silver can at your local auto store) and an OEM Mitsu oil filter
together with an oil change. (Mobil 1 synthetic)

3. Lifter tick is gone!! Has not come back. Did this over 2 months ago.

4. P.S. - my brother did this on his car and...........no more lifter tick!!

It really works. :thumb:

GSX20 said:
1. I had lifter tick constantly, even after the car warmed up.

2. I used a can of Restore (little silver can at your local auto store) and an OEM Mitsu oil filter
together with an oil change. (Mobil 1 synthetic)

3. Lifter tick is gone!! Has not come back. Did this over 2 months ago.

4. P.S. - my brother did this on his car and...........no more lifter tick!!

It really works. :thumb:

Whats funny is that, in association with using Stop Smoke..I did use a SuperTech Oil Filter instead of using a mitsubishi oil filter..makes me wonder now if that is WHY the lifter tick is so pronounced.

Mitsubishi filter or Mopar filter?? I'd think new fram filters would be better with 10+ years of technology would they not? My lifters tick but I was going to slam some 3g lifters in but from what 3g engine???? 2.4L and roughly how much are they??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back