The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Lifter replacement but it is still talkin to me!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myblack98gst

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2003
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
well I ordered 16 new lifters to replace the one that was ticking pretty loud all the time.. I did the replacement following V-Faq to the T ( works very well) Problem is the ticking is still there.. I took the valve cover back off to check everything out and all the lifters seem to be primed I cannot push them down at all. I even tried the ATF trick and that didn't seem to help.....

at idle (900-1000) it is a steady tick
If I press the gas and hold it the tick goes away.
If I rev it up when it comes back down to around 1700 it will be a fast multiple click then go back to one at idle.
If i turn the A/C on and the rm goes in the 800 range the ticking quiets way down.
The sound seems to be coming from the #3-4 cylinder area. and its always there no better cold or hot.

could the cam angle sensor have something that may cause it to make noise?
Or what else could I try on the lifters?

I am pretty much 100% sure it isn;t a bent valve cuz it still runs fine and everything.

Any help with this would be appreciated... I am lost now!!

Have you tried using a mechanic's stethoscope? I have one and it's very useful for listening to your engine. They should sell one at your local parts store for around 20 bucks.

I have the same problem with my 1G Talon. The engine has new lifters, but still has the same noise you described. I was thinking maybe the rockers are worn out? Could a bad rocker arm cause a noise like this with these engines?

I replaced my lifters and started using a mitsu filter at the same time and it cured my terrible lifter tick.
Mine used to be so bad it tripped my knock sensor.
Try using an OEM filter, it worked for me.
I use 10w30 castrol gtx.

When you say new lifters, do you mean the newest lifters (3G) or just replacement lifters? If you have the same small hole, you'll probably have the same ticking.

i just replaced my lifters today with the 3g lifters and after following all the directions on vfaq and priming the car, the noise was worse. so i thought it would take a few minutes to get the lifters broken in or whatnot. it still ticks when the car is warm and even after i drive it now. it's worse than before. any idea what could be doing this? maybe i need to do another oil change and filter change just to be sure, but i just did that 300 miles ago. ???? any ideas?

TO fix lifter tick.
REplace lifters with 3g lifters.
Use 10w30 oil and a mitsu filter.
Well, it worked for me at least.
TRy a mitsu filter, it may sound stupid, but it worked for me.

I put 3rd gen lifters in my car last year and it still ticks for the first 30 sec or so after startup on cold days or when I have not driven the car for a few days. I use 10w30 Moble One and mitsu oem oil filters. :confused: I think it has more to do with lack of oil right at startup as I have a newish oil pump and have good oil pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back