The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Lifter Install - Alternative Method 34

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As most of us know, there are various methods to install your lifters, two of which are extremely fast and easy while some involve removing your cam shafts completely or risking damage to various objects in the head. Let's focus on the popular alternative methods.

Alternative Method 1 :
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/265060-how-replace-lash-adjusters-lifters.html

Alternative Method 2 :
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/289034-diy-lash-adjuster-lifter-removal-tool.html

Alternative Method #1
involves prying up on the rocker to get it into it's seated location. While this is a decent method and I'm sure there are little to no concerns with it - I was far too scared of it slipping and me scarring the cam lobe.

Alternative Method #2
is about as good as it gets, but it involves a special tool, and if you don't have the availability to make one or order one, you're out of luck there. In the video, it's shown exactly how easy this method is.

But let's say that you don't have a special tool, don't have time (or money for some reason) to order one, and you don't have the huevos to risk slamming a nice scar into the cam lobes. Welcome to Alternative Method #3

Alternative Method #3 :
is a simple and quick way to reinstall your lifters without the use of any special tools. So let's just skip straight to it. You've already removed your lifters, cleaned them, bled them, or simply purchased new ones and prepped them for install. So with that in mind and the lifters able to fully compress, It's time to get to work.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

In this image you see that I have already dropped in a few lifters. You'll need to rotate the crank at the crank pulley to rotate the cam lobe humps away from the lifter seats in order to slide them in. Be very careful not to scrape the lifters against the cam lobes. I found it a little more calming to make sure the lifters and cam lobes were coated in oil to ensure easy install and lessen the possibility of any dry scrapes.

Now, once you have the lifters in and the cam lobe humps facing away from the lifters, put your rocker arm on the lifter and slide it forward towards the valve. Press down against the lifter and the tip of the rocker will slide up and into a "ready" position where it's sloped lip will be ready to 'slide' on. You will not be able to press it any further. Be sure that the lip of the rocker arm looks like the image and is not down against the valve top. You don't want to go digging into it.

Next, grab something with a solid backing - I used a Nut Driver as it has a natural ability to cup the back of the rocker. With the rocker arm in the "Ready" position, press the nut driver up firmly against the back of the rocker. Take a small hammer, or if you're man enough you can use your palm, and firmly tap the nut driver. Two to three times and you'll feel the rocker arm press forward, roll under the cam, open the valve just slightly, and viola! It's in place! I recommend using a rag to drape over the rockers just in case it goes elsewhere, however I did not have this issue as the rocker naturally guides itself onto the valve.

Once you're done your rocker should look like this. Notice how it is fully seated on the valve and the natural slope on the rocker has guided itself over the lip of the valve. Be sure to grab the rocker arm and wiggle it just in case.

Note that I did this with a set of dual valve spring installed and it was absolutely cake to install using this method. There are no scars, no scratches, and the rockers simply rolled themselves right into place with a couple of firm taps. Doing this in opposition of prying around with a crowbar/prybar, I feel, gives me a little more piece of mind that I'm not going to slip and slam a giant piece of iron into something that needs to be smooth.

Once you're finished, make sure everything is nice and clean, ensure you left nothing in the head, reinstall your valve cover, and have yourself a nice cold one!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back