1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Liberty shot peening

Posted by SasaniFab, May 27, 2019

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    Before I purchased billet transfer gears in my current trans I had planned on just getting my stock gears shot peened and cryo treated. Since I have several of everything I sent a few sets out and included a few planetary sets. Everything looks awesome. The real question is .... is this all really worth it? Studies say yes .... guess we’ll find out

Attached Files:

Street Build 3K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    645 whp · 498 lb/ft · 1G DSM
    Talon96fwd and Hickory-NC-2Ggsx like this.
  2. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Vendor

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    No, the studies do not say yes..... They say that in the application that they studies shotpeening is beneficial. It gives you roughly a 25% increase in endurance limit. If your past that it will not help much, if any.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
    b00stedtalon2 likes this.
  3. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    This is the study I’m referring to..... https://www.machinedesign.com/metals/shot-peening-increases-gear-life

Street Build 3K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
  4. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    They aren’t studying the kind of failures we get. No hardening really helps when the root of the tooth is ripping off the base circle. A different tooth profile, better material, or a larger gear are the fixes.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. 1cleangsx

1cleangsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 28, 2013
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    @amsrn13 have you taken your car to the track yet? I’ve been following your progress ever since your stock block fp black setup. Can’t wait to see what your car does on that 6266 auto setup:hellyeah:

Street Build 1K  11

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 104.64 · 1G DSM
  6. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    These gears will be going in a buddy’s trans Im building. He can’t afford the 1300 jbd gears so for 100 bucks he thought it was worth it.

Street Build 3K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
  7. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    Soon , I’ve been really busy getting my cage finished

Attached Files:

Street Build 3K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
  8. GSX_Dan

GSX_Dan Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've had my transfer gears treated at liberty too, so far only a handfull of 15psi launches but nothings broken. I hope I can come back here a year from now and update with positive results!

9. turbodsm90

turbodsm90 Freelancer

Joined Aug 20, 2002
    Bay Area, California
    Shot peening still doesn't help all that much. I honestly think its a placebo effect for the transfer gears, and you're better off just getting the straight cuts if you're already doing all the labor removing and installing factory gears.

In a 3355lb 1G cutting mid 1.3 to low 1.4 60fts, the stock shot peened gears STILL cracked at the root. Nothing saved them, even shot a gear out on the dyno and absolutely GRENADED the already hard to find auto transmission.

2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.26 @ 148.6 · 1G DSM