The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Lets get it clear. What are the stock block record rules.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have to give this some thought. In my case, other then balance shaft removal, my block was untouched. In fact, it's still in the garage, intact, retired on a engine stand just the way it came from Mitsubishi.

On one hand, I get the you can't find OEM untouched blocks anymore. But I do not think the 3 record holders were rebuilt in any way. Not sure if you open the door to changes, where do draw the line?

I have to give this some thought. In my case, other then balance shaft removal, my block was untouched. In fact, it's still in the garage, intact, retired on a engine stand just the way it came from Mitsubishi.

On one hand, I get the you can't find OEM untouched blocks anymore. But I do not think the 3 record holders were rebuilt in any way. Not sure if you open the door to changes, where do draw the line?

I had read that Fernando’s SBE was rebuilt but stock hard parts.

I've always felt stock block pertains to just the rotating assembly (pistons, rods & crank). Changing clearances of any kind do not matter as the factory gives a service range/limit to what is allowed. Bearings/rings does not increase the power holding threshold so that's perfectly fine.

Erik's engine was a stock take out, hopefully he pulled the balance shafts though. :D Rebuild doesn't bother me at all though, it's whatever we gotta do. 1g rods and 2g pistons someone could make an argument against, but even that doesn't bother me. I've always felt this is one of those records that no one should ever go after, but if it just so happens to happen...

I just mentioned on the fb page will say here also,

Stock to me as mitsubishi would hand it to you! Inckuding balance shafts! The only think i would allow is hesd studs are exhaust and intake hardware (bolts).
Stock including the oem head gasket as upgrading gives you an advantage with better control.

It pushes the limits on the stock block and its components to the brink of destruction as thats what will happen once it lets go!

So thats my take on it.

As for rebuilds, i believe as long as they oem components and spec's are close to oem its allowed since oem pistons vs ngr might differ slightly. If ngr made them for mitsu the thats allowed since they had the right to produce them to oem spec and tolerances.

The problem with balance shafts is that they spin ~3 times engine RPM, just not worth the risk IMO and they don't slow you down or make you faster. Pure liability there.
Then thats a modified block. Records are set to see how the stock block handles including all its internals and know their failing point. So keeping everything is how a stock block record would be classified

So the question is, how do we get a consensus on this as a community? Should the past record holders, and anyone going after the record have more say than those who are not actively going after the record? Sounds like we need a committee for it :)

My head and oil pan were never removed.

I basically raced myself, didnt care too much.

Imo, changing clearances, decking stuff, cryo/shot peening, rod bolts and whatever other built engine voodoo you choose to do kind of defeats the purpose.

But hey, as far as I know I still have the fastest 7bolt, I'm basically winning the special Olympics! Come at me, maybe ill put the car back together when someone beats me...

My head and oil pan were never removed.

I basically raced myself, didnt care too much.

Imo, changing clearances, decking stuff, cryo/shot peening, rod bolts and whatever other built engine voodoo you choose to do kind of defeats the purpose.

But hey, as far as I know I still have the fastest 7bolt, I'm basically winning the special Olympics! Come at me, maybe ill put the car back together when someone beats me...
LOL

That made me smile, thanks Cory.

Factory rods and pistons are what I think of he. I think of this record. If you have to rebuild it to accomplish it, all that matters to me is the rotating parts. Rings, bearings, clearances, head gasket choice don’t make the parts any stronger.

I agree with Kevin. Balance shafts are a liability and a dedicated monster should not have them.

Then thats a modified block. Records are set to see how the stock block handles including all its internals and know their failing point. So keeping everything is how a stock block record would be classified

Balance shafts being removed has never been considered a modified block. Going back to 2008 when I first started to try and chase the record. As Kevin mentioned, they are a liability. No one back then had them.

Is simple, stock crank pistons and rods, nothing else matters or gives you an advantage.

The weakest link is the rods. Other modifications won't make them stronger, same goes for the pistons.

The stock bottom end stuff is good for around 750 to 800 hp give or take. But most never make it there. Nitrous will kill them quick, big turbos with low torque curves are the best for them.

We dynoed Erik Whistler's car yesterday for shits and grins. I'll let him share the numbers if he wants to, but I was pretty impressed with that engine. I would never push a stock motor that far myself I don't think, but it clearly works. I do have a stock rod motor in my car now, long story, but it makes me wonder what I can run that to for ET while I've got the chance.

We dynoed Erik Whistler's car yesterday for sh**s and grins. I'll let him share the numbers if he wants to, but I was pretty impressed with that engine. I would never push a stock motor that far myself I don't think, but it clearly works. I do have a stock rod motor in my car now, long story, but it makes me wonder what I can run that to for ET while I've got the chance.
What's Erik's username here? We can tag him with the @ character just like FB.

We dynoed Erik Whistler's car yesterday for sh**s and grins. I'll let him share the numbers if he wants to, but I was pretty impressed with that engine. I would never push a stock motor that far myself I don't think, but it clearly works. I do have a stock rod motor in my car now, long story, but it makes me wonder what I can run that to for ET while I've got the chance.
Ya get him in here for dyno results. I’m really curious what it made.

As for the rules, I believe all the hard parts have to 100% be stock and Unmodified. That means stock crank, rods, and pistons. I do not see loose ring or bearing clearances making the stock rotating assembly any stronger. I also don’t see boring the engine to be a problem either. Mitsu offers lots of O/S pistons from .24mm up to 1mm. If the stock rotating assembly is gonna crap out at say 700Whp it’s gonna do it with stock bore or big bore. 700hp is still 700hp. Only problem is those pistons are gonna cost an arm and a leg. Someone’s gotta be pretty dedicated to spend that kind of money to use those parts to make new crankcase vents in the block.

It made more than I was expecting thats for sure.

It made more than I was expecting thats for sure.
Erik, you gotta put your name in your sig man. This goes for anyone who is has achieved something significant with this platform. We want others to know who you are and what you've accomplished. Any chance you can share those dyno numbers or are you keeping that quiet for the moment?

I would really like to create a page dedicated to certain records in the DSM world. I just have to think of a way to do it so that it can be easily maintained. I'm thinking it would have to be based on the Vehicle Profiles:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/

So if we were to feature people who hold certain records, we'd need them to be members here and also have them create a vehicle profile that we can then feature. Hopefully DSMers who hold records wouldn't be opposed to that.

Erik, you gotta put your name in your sig man. This goes for anyone who is has achieved something significant with this platform. We want others to know who you are and what you've accomplished. Any chance you can share those dyno numbers or are you keeping that quiet for the moment?

I would really like to create a page dedicated to certain records in the DSM world. I just have to think of a way to do it so that it can be easily maintained. I'm thinking it would have to be based on the Vehicle Profiles:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/

So if we were to feature people who hold certain records, we'd need them to be members here and also have them create a vehicle profile that we can then feature. Hopefully DSMers who hold records wouldn't be opposed to that.

I will try to sit down tonight and figure out how to get everything updated.:thumb:

So just to clarify is the community agreeing to oem standard size piston, rod, crank? All oem how it left the assembly line? Or oversized is ok aslong as its an oem replacement. And if oversized is allowed are we limiting to just .020 over or as big as oem produces? .020 040 .060 etc. Etc??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back