The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Lets get it clear. What are the stock block record rules.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So if we have an upgraded (-12 AN) drain on the OEM oil pan then the block would not be considered "stock"?

That is fine that would be considered turbo related. What we meant from stock oil pan is related to the amount of oil the stock pan holds. No like high performance/ larger oil pan.

I see the oil pan as a bolt on. (Because it literally bolts on to the block) Who cares if you have a drum of oil in the trunk supplying new oil. If oil amount is restricted then is oil weight going to be restricted?

Im pretty sure its been clearified that the stock block holder is the factory rotating assembly. For those that dont know what that is it consists of Block, crank, rods, and pistons. If those are not messed with and as is from the factory or back to factory specs then its eligible for the stock block record.

What about using stock n/a blocks or jdm n/a blocks I'm thinking of using a n/a jdm 7 bolt block its 10.4:1 compression siting in my garage, its mint condition less than 30k miles thought it would be perfect for a stock block stock turbo record. Would that be considered a stock 7 bolt? Or would it be a different record all together like would I have to say its the jdm 7 bolt n/a stock block record holder? Because that's a mouth full right there.

There are too many variables to this. Like replacement parts, maybe a stronger material than oe pistons? Same with any replacement part. I think to make it easy every internal part should be just as it were from the factory. Fasteners bearings rings, all. Headbolts are for the head not block. Same with flywheels and clutches. The goal is to see what a stock BLOCK can handle with extreme bolt ons correct?

There are too many variables to this. Like replacement parts, maybe a stronger material than oe pistons? Same with any replacement part. I think to make it easy every internal part should be just as it were from the factory. Fasteners bearings rings, all. Headbolts are for the head not block. Same with flywheels and clutches. The goal is to see what a stock BLOCK can handle with extreme bolt ons correct?

Everyone, this topic is no longer open to discuss. In the drag racing forum, there is a sticky on this topic. You must have the stock 6 bolt short block to earn the record. No arp hardware other then headstuds for the long block. Any other variable, does not exsit. If you go outside the rules it won't count. Stop trying to beat the system, and just follow the instructions given.

I don't have a dog in this fight but unless there is a third party to inspect the motor after the pass then all these rules don't mean much more then a waste of band width. Run a number pull the ARP's out and then chime in? :ohdamn:

Yup, and good original bores are going to be more and more difficult to find as time goes by.

IMO, a freshened up factory engine is still a factory engine, and an overbore is part of the freshening up process. And if there's no performance advantage, then what difference does it make?

^ This.

whats up guys so i currently have a completely stock block with arp headstuds. I wanting to know what the ACTUALLY whp record is for STOCK 6 bolt longblock. I have a build motor wainting for me so i figured "lets have some fun". my gst currently made 477whp and 424ftlb at 30psi on a SBR g60. I looking to go for the stock block record. heres a vid at MOD 2013.

Old set up
http://s169.photobucket.com/user/blkturbogsx/media/477hp_zps1f4d7a5f.mp4.html

ok so heres the break down

STOCK 6 bolt longblock With BS
ARP headstuds
stock HG

aftermarket
-SMIM (new set up)
-Delta 274's drop in cams
-HX40 billet 7 blade bep t3 (new set up)
-DNP t3 manifold
-tial 44mm WG
-DEJON shortroute FMIC
-Bluemax 1450's
-Aeromotive FPR
-AEM 320fp rewired
-e85

would this be worthy of trying to take over the STOCK block record? lmk your input is much appreciated

Right^

This is the block being discussed, not the head.

It's not a "stock long block" record.

Mine's barely modified in that respect, but just enough (ARP rod bolts, ACL bearings, machine work.. Some required, some elective :D) to where it's no longer stock.

Last edited:
So the stock block record was again recently reset. Hopefully Eric chimes in.

One thing that was kinda brought up. Stock good running short blocks are getting harder and harder to come across. This is gonna make taking this record harder and harder without actually have to rebuild a block which is not what any of the guys that have once held the record has done.

Granted this car is a FWD and wont be able to do the time record. But a local car I tune is on a completely stock motor un known miles, just head studs and drop in hks 272 cams. Car dyno'd 449whp last year with slipping clutch and we are going to track again this weekend to try to go 10's with it. It has been ran at this power level and is making more now for over a year and still running strong. This is a 7 bolt by the way.

UPDATED

THESE ARE THE RULES FOR ALL STOCK BLOCK RECORD ATTEMPTS 6 OR 7 BOLT!
OEM uncut crank
OEM std size pistons
OEM piston rings
OEM rods
OEM main bolts
OEM rod bolts
OEM oil pump
OEM oil pan
BSE optional

Dont get me wrong I do not feel that I am titled to make these rules, these are just what everyone has agreed on and is what the current record holder has.

So theres been small talk over the social media pages, with good short blocks getting a lot harder to find a lot of us even for stock cars need to rebuild bottom ends. Is this going to fit into the record requirements being the most the time with stock bore things will be a tad on the loose side?

Just a prime example, I had a stock short block rebuilt a couple years ago for a car that I plan to sell.
Stock bore still
Stock pistons
Stock rods
Uncut crank
EDIT: Hastings rings and acl bearings

Block was honed so now piston to wall is now .0025-.003 vs the stock .0012-.0020
Top ring gap .018 vs the stock .0098-.0177
Second ring .020 vs the stock .0138-.0197
Oil ring .025-.026 with in specs
Crank main oil clearance is now .0027-.0028 vs the stock .0008-.0020
Everything else within stock specs

Is this gonna be frowned upon if someone actually breaks the records on a rebuild like this?

Last edited:
Is Allen (@TofastForU_99) even in the DSM world anymore? I know he sold off Strictly Performance Motorsports a couple years ago. Not sure who can be the one to make that call these days. Common sense says that finding a block that hasn't been rebuilt will soon be nearly impossible. So I personally don't see why a rebuilt block to factory specs would go against the spirit of the record. It obviously would make people suspicious since there is a lot of trust involved. I don't know what the honor system is worth these days.

Is Allen (@TofastForU_99) even in the DSM world anymore? I know he sold off Strictly Performance Motorsports a couple years ago. Not sure who can be the one to make that call these days. Common sense says that finding a block that hasn't been rebuilt will soon be nearly impossible. So I personally don't see why a rebuilt block to factory specs would go against the spirit of the record. It obviously would make people suspicious since there is a lot of trust involved. I don't know what the honor system is worth these days.
Personally I think it should be up to the guys that hold or held the record at some point. They’ve made the honest efforts to do what they did.

My concern is that even with a rebuild, some parts like the rings are no longer available. Not something you can just call up to one of our vendors and have a factory set shipped out. I mean one could source a set out but I’m sure the cost wouldn’t be worth the efforts to chase a record like this.

But do we really need to sub categorize it??
As you said, might be best to ask the current/previous record holders. The "rebuilt" designation doesn't seem like sub categorization, more like a different record. Some will probably just think it's pretty much the same record anyway.

As you said, might be best to ask the current/previous record holders. The "rebuilt" designation doesn't seem like sub categorization, more like a different record. Some will probably just think it's pretty much the same record anyway.
My thoughts are we all kinda know what parts will break. Piston and rod bolts are pretty weak. Is a loose rebuild on aftermarket rings and bearings going to make those weak links any stronger??

It’s 2020 and has been awhile since this has been brought up. Updating and a little more clarification of the rules would be awesome.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back