The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Less power after EVO 16G Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyRob

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2012
MODESTO, California
So I have (2) Eclipses... A 99 GSX and a 97 GST.. My 97 GST is all stock... The problem im having is my 99 GSX is a dog compared to my stock GST after I did a HMI E3 16G upgrade.. The stock GST pulls harder and i have a wider power band.. The GSX used to be alot faster than my GST because of the mods and tune it had, unfortunatley I had to take most of the mods off so i could smog my car here in CA... Before, on my GSX I used to have a 50 trim turbo, GM MAF, MAFT, 680cc injectors, dnp header and tial external WG....

Now I have stock injectors back in, stock MAF, stock ex manifold, internal wg... When I step on the gas there is no power and it takes a while for the rpms to build up so that the turbo will spool. the car sounds great with the 3'' wide open exhaust and fancy dancy blitz bov but with all that sound put aside the car is not really pulling like it should, and it almost smells rich out the pipe..

Im wondering why my car is running rich and doesnt have the power that even a stock motor would have..

I dont have a way to tune, and i dont have a boost gauge or wideband.. The boost was never turned up even with the mods before.. i was running stock boost.. I also did a boost leak test and found that my throttle body has a small leak at the shaft but no major big leaks..

Questions.... By just changing turbos could this cause my car to run rich? And how do i adjust this issue? It did pass smog though so I dont believe it is SUPER rich but you can smell it...

Also if i was to install back my GM MAF, 680cc injectors, and MAFT that is tuned to this motor, do you think it would run better? Remember I have a 16g now instead of a 50 trim? I dont really want to start messing with air/fuel settings in my ecu if i dont have to.. I need this car as a daily driver..

I never tuned for new turbo, from my 14b to to my evo i wasnt pushing it that much, every set up and turbo is different, did you do a boost leak test yet? No wideband? You should find a way to tune the car
something loggers for me was nice until i bought link, something i should have bought to tune what i had before i threw a bunch of stuff on it. If its your dd, make it reliable as possible keep leave the boost alone especially with no wideband. Oh you find one leak, gm maf for 680s i didnt know it could tune that much i though it was 650s. Find a way to tune would be a investment.

If a 16g is taking a while to spool Im leaning towards a pre-turbo exhaust leak.. Did you use new gaskets when you put your stock equipment back on??

Yes all new gaskets..

Find a way to tune it, next get a wideband and something to to tune it, other wise your tuning blind.

I never tuned for new turbo, from my 14b to to my evo i wasnt pushing it that much, every set up and turbo is different, did you do a boost leak test yet? No wideband? You should find a way to tune the car
something loggers for me was nice until i bought link, something i should have bought to tune what i had before i threw a bunch of stuff on it. If its your dd, make it reliable as possible keep leave the boost alone especially with no wideband. Oh you find one leak, gm maf for 680s i didnt know it could tune that much i though it was 650s. Find a way to tune would be a investment.]

Yeah its my DD. Dont really want to tweak my a/f mixture if I don't have to but my car runs a little rich now.. U can smell the rich exhaust a little and it wasn't like that before.. Every so often the car will die out after i let off the gas and push in the clutch to coast.. Sometimes after driving the car then parking it for a while i will start it up and it will run horrible for a like a minute.. Almost like the plugs are fouled...

Wonder if i should put back the 680's, GM MaF, and pretuned Maf Translator with this new 16g turbo..think it would damage anything with out a wideband to check out?..

The reason i took off all those parts is cause i had to get my car smogged here in CA..

You definitely have a boost leak. I had the same stalling issue as you, and I fixed it by bypassing my FIAV, fixing all boost leaks, and resetting my ISC/grounding it. You have to fix that boost leak first though, and the FIAV was my idle surge issue so that may not be needed, but the isc reset helped a lot.

FYI I used evoscan for the isc.

You definitely have a boost leak. I had the same stalling issue as you, and I fixed it by bypassing my FIAV, fixing all boost leaks, and resetting my ISC/grounding it. You have to fix that boost leak first though, and the FIAV was my idle surge issue so that may not be needed, but the isc reset helped a lot.

Yeah i have a boost leak coming from the shaft on my throttle body you can hear it hiss when i do a boost leak check.. I had some MASSIVE leaks before like having the wrong gasket on my intake manifold LOL it would not hold 2psi when u aired it up. I fixed that major leak
and then found out I had 3 more major leaks coming from my intercooler piping connections.. i fixed those leaks and now I can pump it up to around 12 psi till the waste gate opens.. but the pressure falls fast to 0.. almost like it's in the engine I can hear it leaking down.. another words the air comes out faster than it would be just for that small leak at the throttle body.. But then again i did not have the engine advanced to close the valves all the way so maybe thats why it leaked down so fast...been really busy lately to work on my car. Thats why it took me a month to reply to my own post LOL sorry bout that..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back