The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Legal question concerning my car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firehawk

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2003
Vandergrift, Pennsylvania
i got a question for anyone who is familiar with laws, hoping that you can help....

i bought a 1G about 2 months ago. Since I got the car I have only been able to use it about 3 weeks because of all of the problems. after i bought it i found out that the stock sidemount had holes in it, and the car had no catalytic converter. So i brought it back to the dealership and he agreed to have a new exhaust put on it, and a new smic. Well that got done and on the way back from a certain shop to the dealership, the guy at the dealership must have messed something up and the car ran like crap. So the dealership thought it was that certain shop, that they turned up the boost way to high, when i actually found out that the only reason there were problems was because all the leaks were fixed. Well the dealership decided to bring it to a different shop to have the motor work done (there were burn marks along the side walls of the pistons) they decide to put in a new motor. (why they didnt just bore out the block a little and put bigger pistons in i dont know, that wasnt my option) Well the new engine gets installed and last week i get it back, well....there is no boost at all, which came from the shop didnt hook up the wastegate to the actuator, (there was also some leaks). Well i drive it the other night and oil just starts going everywhere, which was from the dipstick coming out while i was driving it, well i put a new dipstick in and it still goes everywhere, (but the dipstick stayed in) Now i have a 60 day warranty, but i dont think that the shop is going to fix it correctly. I dont want to pay for a new motor and install, so i have to take it back. So im wondering, (because i dont believe they will fix it correctly), are there any laws on how many times i take something to a shop before it becomes their responsibility to get it fixed?

other problems i had w/ the car was, when idle it just kept bouning inbetween 1200 - 1800. I think the ISC is bad, and also, the temp of the car never went up to normal, like it was always warming up.
I was told that the balancer shafts were probably not put in correctly, as the motor just shook like crazy in the higher rpms, therefore making the dipstick pop out.

Thanks in advance for any help

I know the Lemon law is when the cost to fix the car exceeds a certain point, but I'm not sure if thats only on new cars. What were you thinking when you bought this car? Did you take it for a test drive and look over it real well? Anyways, I'm sure somone will say what and what the Lemon law covers
good luck

if the dipsticks popping out..u have a crankcase ventilation issue?

sjgYFZ200 said:
What were you thinking when you bought this car? Did you take it for a test drive and look over it real well?

it ran fine, i mean i cant do a leak test right there in the car lot. There was no way for me to tell that the piston walls were burnt. I didnt check for a catalytic converter as its illegal to sell a car in my area without one, so i didnt go to that extent. Either way the dealership did what he could to fix that stuff. He got me a new intercooler and exhaust. He even went and got a new engine (well used). The problem I am having is with the repair of the engine, they messed up before and i have a feeling they will mess up again.

oh and if its the crankcase breather that is the problem....that would be lovely as I have a catchcan, that i was just about to install. Im just nervous that there are other problems.

well, the dipstick popping out and the holes in the intercooler are normal on a 1g, the dipstick comes out because the rubber that holds it in gets hard and doesnt do its job....the intercooler corrodes somehow and gets those little holes....as far as oil going everywhere, probably cracks in the valve cover or something..just thought id let you know those 2 problems are normal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back