The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Legal CA Turbo????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyRob

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2012
MODESTO, California
Got a 99 GSx with 51k miles.. It's been modded like crazy from the guy I bought it from... I want to put it all back stock except for the intercooler, radiator, and fans...but I was considering replacing the non legal stuff with legal stuff that is reliable.. Does any one know of a good CA smog legal turbo other than stock if any that I could install back on the car and maybe BOV? The stuff I have now is awesome and in some cases possibly top of the line but no carbs numbers on anything... I really want a reliable car that I could drive on 5-6 hour drives with out worries of mod issues. And one that incan smog legally here in CA...Might be better to just stay all stock..

The Only Technically smog legal turbo for CA is the Stock T-25, however the FP B28 is a close clone, looks stock, flows just slightly less than an e3 16g, and is a direct bolt on, and fits neatly under the exhaust shield. No extra piping required. The FMIC does not need to be an issue, you car came with an Intercooler stock. Check your exhaust, make sure you cave a cat, If possible borrow someone's stock one. So far the only CARB legal intake is Injen, which you can get the CARB E.O.# off their website.

You could probably do a 14B turbo off a 1g eclipse. It would still be considered "stock" because it came from the factory on those year cars. You could probably even get away with a 16g because it has most of the same serial numbers.

Do you really think they would notice the difference?

Just throw a heat shield over the whole thing. That way they can't see the mods LOL. Just make it pass smog.

Edit: Or what 4g63tc said. LOL the T28 looks exactly like stock.

Passing your standard test isn't an issue, most smog techs have no clue what they are looking at. The problem is if you car fails, and is determined to be a gross polluter you can be sent to the REF, and that's the person who will pick your car apart.

You could probably do a 14B turbo off a 1g eclipse. It would still be considered "stock" because it came from the factory on those year cars. You could probably even get away with a 16g because it has most of the same serial numbers.

Do you really think they would notice the difference?

Just throw a heat shield over the whole thing. That way they can't see the mods LOL. Just make it pass smog.

Edit: Or what 4g63tc said. LOL the T28 looks exactly like stock.

14b was on 1g Standard models up to 1994
13b was on 1g Automatics to 1994
T-25 was stock on the GST/GSX up to 1999

Mostly it becomes an issue with it fitting under a "Stock" heatshield. what they can't see they can get you for.

There are plenty of DSM'rs in the San Jose area who can direct you to less stringent smog shops, and may even let you borrow the stock stuff to pass.

Hit up the local area forums http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/san-francisco-bay-area-dsm-forum/

Last edited:
Greddy made a carb legal turbo kit which sucked, other than that the oem turbo is the place to be. It sounds like you really don't want to deal with any problems from smog/cops in cali which i totally understand. You could always go back to stock and leave it that way, then you really have nothing to worry about.

TD05H 14b was on 1g Standard models up to 1994
TD04 13G was on 1g Automatics to 1994
T-25 was stock on the 2G GST/GSX/TSi 1995 and newer
Fixed.

I'd pick a 16G variant, then play stupid and swear that it's a 14b when questioned.

I'm so glad I don't live in Cali...
I actually passed inspection here once with an open 3" downpipe.

Depend where you take your car to smog. I used to live in San Diego and pass smog with my 98 GST with 3" downpipe and hi flow cat and 3" exh. Also a big ass front mount but I did used the T25 and advance my ignition timing by alot to run really hot with Dsm link. I got that bad boy to barely pass on emission.

Greddy made a carb legal turbo kit which sucked

Yeah the 18G

so the 14b will pass because that's the swap I"m doing, and would it being ported out matter?

Not necessarily, It might pass smog if they dont know what there looking for but it probably wont pass if you ever go have to go to the ref. Porting wont mater, they don't look inside and its not making any boost during an emissions test.

Haha. Want to know a quick way to get pissed off? Take those papers, or the actual manual, to a local SMOG shop and when they question your FMIC and you flash them they still fail you and tell you to go to the REF. :toobad:

Ask me how I know? I tried (4) different shops that were recommended by the Tuner crowd out here in San Diego and they all said, "take your car to the REF." The others that didn't care about my FMIC were concerned about the AWD swap because they couldn't put the car up on the rollers and load test it. They, too, told me I had to take it to the REF.

:dsm:

California sounds like a mofo. But as its been said t-25 is the way to go and not break the law.

I feel bad for you cali guys with all those super strict regulations. In maryland inspections are mostly done by certified mechanics that are not state employees, and as long as its safe and doesnt have any serious "off road use only" kind of mods they will pass it. Worst come to worse you can usually find crooked mechanics who sell inspections. Emissions test are just as easy, just have to pass the fairly lenient smog and maybe they stick a mirror under to check for a cat. You dont pop your hood or anything, hell when i took the 92 laser i used to have to emissions they looked at the awd badge on the side and my roll cage, and told me to pull around the rollers for a 2 year waiver.
I got the best deal of the bunch now, my 92 talon hit 20 years old this year so i got historic tags, i never need an inspection or an emissions test again.

Those inspections are just one of the many reasons I'll never live in Cali haha. I keep my car registered where my parents live in PA so I don't even have to have an emissions test at all. The strictest part of my inspection is visually checking to see if there is a cat, and welding the shell of one around a 3" straight pipe makes that easy to pass LOL.

Washington is changing its smog to only be needed for cars year 2009+ to be Cali emissions complaint! Glad i have a 99, and also live in a non emissions area ha.

The world is adopting california's shitty emissions standards.

Im with corey on the HTA68! LOL "its just a 14b man"

A lot of the area's outside of the major towns in Washington don't have DEQ or outside of Portland,OR. So I've never had to personaly deal with it with my car's(YET)

But, They are a Lot less strict about anything out here(from my experience) As long as the car will pass they don't pay to much attention to anything else. I've taken cars down to see if they would pass that had ITB's, No cat and Complete motor swaps(Never in US) ect' to state run stations and all they cared about is whether it would pass and Idled low enough and said pull right up and did look twice at what was under the hood(after seeing it wasn't obviously stock)... .

Last edited:
Haha. Want to know a quick way to get pissed off? Take those papers, or the actual manual, to a local SMOG shop and when they question your FMIC and you flash them they still fail you and tell you to go to the REF. :toobad:

Ask me how I know? I tried (4) different shops that were recommended by the Tuner crowd out here in San Diego and they all said, "take your car to the REF." The others that didn't care about my FMIC were concerned about the AWD swap because they couldn't put the car up on the rollers and load test it. They, too, told me I had to take it to the REF.

:dsm:

So, even with an OBDII car, they still put it on the rollers? Damn. I think I will just leave mine registered in Wisconsin when I move out to SoCal...

Believe me, most cops in cali aren't dumb. If your car is not register in cali they'll pull you over and ask why. You have a certain amount of time to get it register if driving in cali.
About smog. I don't know bout certain parts of cali but in fresno, not many smog techs know dsm. Shanegsx90 pass smog with a 16g with some parts covered in rubber hoses that appeared stock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back