The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Left Rear Brake Knuckle Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97GSX702

Probationary Member
Apr 16, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Have a 1997 GSX that I picked up on the cheap (my first DSM). The left rear wheel is bad toe in (previous owner turned quick to avoid a curb, missed the front but hit the back). Eccentric bolt wont adjust far enough to fix the toe in so I pretty much ordered the entire left rear but can't seem to figure out which brake knuckle to order. I've called a couple different dealerships and online parts stores giving them my VIN (last 8 of - VE008322). One said it's got ABS, the other said it doesn't but they both said it's part number MR223657. How can I tell for sure if it has ABS or not to order the correct knuckle and what's the correct part # I'm looking for?

Here is one with ABS but different part # but says compatible:
Mitsubishi MB864931 Brake Knuckle | eBay

Here is one without ABS but different part # but says compatible:
Mitsubishi MR223628 Brake Knuckle | eBay

Will one of these two work? Been trying to find an answer to what to order but I seemed to have just found more questions than answers. Any help for a noob please?

Use the part number and search on Mitsubishiparts.net
I'm showing w/o ABS is $169. They are pretty good about information if you call and ask. I wouldn't go through ebay. Plus it's like $60 cheaper here. :)

Have you verified that the upper or lower control arms aren't bent. It would seem that hitting a curb would bend one of the lower arms instead of the knuckle. They are made out of stamped steel where the knuckle is a solid cast piece that would likely just snap.

Use the part number and search on Mitsubishiparts.net
I'm showing w/o ABS is $169. They are pretty good about information if you call and ask. I wouldn't go through ebay. Plus it's like $60 cheaper here. :)

I actually did call them and it isn't available anymore (obsolete). Part of my problem though is that I don't know if it does or doesn't have ABS. Any easy way to tell by the VIN or just looking at it?

Have you verified that the upper or lower control arms aren't bent. It would seem that hitting a curb would bend one of the lower arms instead of the knuckle. They are made out of stamped steel where the knuckle is a solid cast piece that would likely just snap.

Nothing "looked" bent. I've got all upper and lower parts ordered and should be here on Friday. Maybe I'll just replace the parts I've ordered and see if that'll do the trick without replacing the knuckle (yet) and see what happens with the toe in. In the meantime I'd still like to try to figure out what the actual correct knuckle for my car is in case the knuckle is actually bent.

You will need to look for the abs sensor and see if it has abs. There will also be an abs control unit on the car if it has abs.

They should be able to tell with your VIN if it has ABS or not. More than likely you do not actually need this part. Make sure the hub is not bent though. Like it has been mentioned you can tell if you have ABS by the unit under the hood or by if it has speed sensors on the knuckle.

They should be able to tell with your VIN if it has ABS or not. More than likely you do not actually need this part. Make sure the hub is not bent though. Like it has been mentioned you can tell if you have ABS by the unit under the hood or by if it has speed sensors on the knuckle.

Definitely the key word there is "should" be able to tell with my vin. They both asked for the last 8 of the vin - VE008322, one said it has ABS, the other said it doesn't have ABS. Leading me to even more confusion.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back