The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Left on the side of the road......

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viseversa101

Proven Member
Mar 10, 2013
millbury, Ohio
So my 98 talon fwd 420a was left on the side of the road this morning :(
I've replaced belts within the past couple of months, checked spark plug gaps, changed wires n coil pack n just changed to 10w30 for the summer as far as maintenance. I have jb weld on the radiator and a bad valve seal burning oil, but i checked those and i didnt lose fluid nor did i see anything visually. There was no knock, just died.

Any suggestions?

Did you check your fuel rail for fuel? Connect a 3$ spark tester and check for spark. Is your timing belt broken? Do you have compression? Remove your plugs after you spark test it. Test your compression... We need info.

I got the car from my uncles shop with 118k on the dash...ive since brought that to 138k. Ive only deleted the egr and sensor the cel from that mod, did a 3inch catback, checked compression which was roughly 186 across the board when i did do it, n use mobil 1 10w30....ngk plugs r gapped i believe .44. I've never ha d a prob other then my cel for o2 sensor kicking on sometimes because i knew i was burning oil from a valve seal. Im at work worried going threw scenarios is all. I have my uncle picking it up now so hopefully iwill know where i stand before i ever get out of work.

I got the car from my uncles shop with 118k on the dash...ive since brought that to 138k. Ive only deleted the egr and sensor the cel from that mod, did a 3inch catback, checked compression which was roughly 186 across the board when i did do it, n use mobil 1 10w30....ngk plugs r gapped i believe .44. I've never ha d a prob other then my cel for o2 sensor kicking on sometimes because i knew i was burning oil from a valve seal. Im at work worried going threw scenarios is all. I have my uncle picking it up now so hopefully iwill know where i stand before i ever get out of work.
Did you even read what anyone else said or just decide to post again and not answer them?
Im going to repeat what bradcurtis said, "Did you check your fuel rail for fuel? Connect a 3$ spark tester and check for spark. Is your timing belt broken? Do you have compression? Remove your plugs after you spark test it. Test your compression... We need info."

This is like me saying, "hey guys I have a used car with mods and it died whats wrong?" care to tell us what exactly happened when it went to the side of the road? For all we know you blew out the driveline and are asking which part is likely the weak link...

Sorry not trying to be rude but you totally ignored what the 2 people already posted.

Could definently use some info regarding what it is or isn't doing. If it's not starting or cranking over at all , do your best to describe what happens when you make an attempt to do so.

You say it simply just died. Grab a can of electrical contact cleaner, clean off all your sensor connectors and verify there are no loose connections, such as the battery. Check for loose or corroded grounds.

You verified you have compression , next to do would be making sure you have spark and fuel getting in the engine if items such as battery, starter, alternator check out good.

Read the link below thoroughly, it'll give you a start in finding your problem.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how-to-diagnose-a-no-start.217951/

im not running diags at work, its was "left on the side of the road". update anyhow, timing belt snapped. and bent a valve in at least cyl 2.

Fun times.

Last edited:
Sure enough, ended up being the tension er pulley on the timing belt gave out, and bending valves. taking it apart now, replacing water pump, timing belt, both pulleys, replacing the two bent valves in cyl 2
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What compression test did you perform that netted you 186 across the board with a broken timing belt and bent valves ?

sorry I wasnt specific, that test was 2 months prior....once i get it together, il redo the comp test and post results.

I would pull all the valves and check them for straightness. You can have one that is just barely bent, but with the slack in the guide it will be pushed back into place and seal for the most part.

Bryan is right make sure you do this while it's apart. You very well could have bent a few more only slightly and won't know till after engine of running.

you are right, visually we found the 2 but after giving the head to the machine shop the other 2 in cyl 2 were also bent. I went ahead and had them replace the 4 valves n seals, check it, and deck it. Got it back n threw it on with a new head gasket and head bolts. Since the shop took over a week to do the labor( not bad for only 100 bucks) so i went ahead and mildly ported/polished the intake and cleaned up both the intake and valve cover while i had a chance. I got it all back together and had power loss, after inspection i found the egr block plate never got torqued down:banghead::banghead::banghead:. Gave it a couple turn and took her for a spin.

The issue i'm having now is on a cold start i need to give it gas till it warms up or it shuts off, and if its not warm and i take off it really has a loss in power. But after its warm its fine, the cel light throws but I tried checking it 2xs and nothing is popping up. Any ideas?

Heres finished product.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

With that being said I took it upon myself to check PVC valve, sensors, throttle body, vacuum leaks, plugs, wires, coil pack, and to no avail was still stumped. I was told perhaps the timing was off but didn't want to hear it n tried unplugging the o2 sensor. Bam, found it, replaced the o2 sensor which was causing surges and sputtering especially after 100 miles of driving. Now she purrs.:talon:

Lol that intake's not too bad, my friend's Grand Prix GTP has the air filter mounted directly on the throttle body. You can hear the supercharger for a mile before you hear the exhaust :p
Good to hear you fixed her up!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back