The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

LED DRL and Flasher Module Creation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonlight GSX

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 16, 2010
Hagerman, Idaho
Looking to get a feel for a potential product I would like to start creating for the DSM Community, of course, this would extend to other modules as well but it is all dependent on what the community wants/needs.

With that said, I have designed a DRL/Flasher module that will accept LED lights and install a daytime running light system to work similarly to that of the newer cars - turn signal turns of DRL when on and then fades back in after. Anyway, just getting a feel for what the DSM community would be interested in, I will definitely switch over to Freelancer if this kicks off and I get some interest in the notion.

Fred

Demo please
Because I just finished the PCB build, I was looking to see if anyone would be interested in such. Below I have simulated the two circuits that are schematically built together in place of the variously displayed switches in the simulator.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know very little, just enough to get by, about electrical but I been wanting to make my factory tails flash sequential… any ideas on that.
I could potentially modify the circuit to adapt towards a sequential setup. The one way we could achieve this is by setting the two brake light bulbs and the one turn signal bulb to be simulated on the same circuit at the same time and then modify the brake input to be bypassed by the circuit when in use (similar to the current turn signal and hazard circuit). However, if you are running an EDM or JDM housing this may be an issue since the brake light and turn signal are not the same colour (turn = amber).

Ima be straight up, if I dont see em on your headlights or on a pair, at least. I wouldn't be interested. I feel we would need to see the real deal. I appreciate you posting the schematics tho:hellyeah:
I completely understand, I figured this would be the case but I wanted to see if anyone would be interested at all and with that, I got more responses than I thought I would in general. I will update this thread the closer I get to actually getting it installed on the vehicle to proceed a demo - modifications will most likely happen between then but again I will keep this updated accordingly.

I could potentially modify the circuit to adapt towards a sequential setup. The one way we could achieve this is by setting the two brake light bulbs and the one turn signal bulb to be simulated on the same circuit at the same time and then modify the brake input to be bypassed by the circuit when in use (similar to the current turn signal and hazard circuit). However, if you are running an EDM or JDM housing this may be an issue since the brake light and turn signal are not the same colour (turn = amber).
My tails are solid red 😬 may I also add I purchased these sequential module flasher boxes from eBay. My issue with them is that they require 12v power source to activate and it’ll flash sequential. Our lights operate on a switched negative source for the flasher/turn signals. Therefore rendering the boxes useless at the current time... 🤦🏻‍♂️

My tails are solid red 😬 may I also add I purchased these sequential module flasher boxes from eBay. My issue with them is that they require 12v power source to activate and it’ll flash sequential. Our lights operate on a switched negative source for the flasher/turn signals. Therefore rendering the boxes useless at the current time... 🤦🏻‍♂️
What you can do is connect the module before the headlights and not after. Yes, we have a negatively switched lighting system but it still operates utilizing a +12v signal. If you have a link to the ones you have I can take a look at them for you and give a more accurate solution, but for now the most general solution would be to connect them before the lights as this would put the module on the positive side of the lighting; this is all assuming the sequencer is an inline module instead of something that has a switched input and then generates its own positive and negative outputs would cause you to modify a bit more than putting it between your switched ignition and signal switch (where our flasher currently resides).

I haven't had time to look at your two circuits that closely, but it looks like you have one with a 555 timer to handle the flash timing and a second one for current amplification/signal conditioning? Am I correct in assuming that you have no under/over current detection in this design? As long as the pulled current is not in excess of what the components can source, it will flash at the same frequency?

I'm definitely interested in something like this. I've wanted to either swap to LED bulbs or revisit the custom tail light ideas that I have, but dealing with the factory flasher has prevented me from pursuing it. For the sequential discussion, don't forget that the outermost bulbs are single filament DRLs only so the bulb holder would need to be swapped from 1156 to 1157 to get all three sections to work for brake lights/turn signals. Easy to do, but it wouldn't be PnP.

What you can do is connect the module before the headlights and not after. Yes, we have a negatively switched lighting system but it still operates utilizing a +12v signal. If you have a link to the ones you have I can take a look at them for you and give a more accurate solution, but for now the most general solution would be to connect them before the lights as this would put the module on the positive side of the lighting; this is all assuming the sequencer is an inline module instead of something that has a switched input and then generates its own positive and negative outputs would cause you to modify a bit more than putting it between your switched ignition and signal switch (where our flasher currently resides).
Sadly enough nothing seems to be simple with this lil devil. Lol

Sadly enough nothing seems to be simple with this lil devil. Lol

I see; that makes sense. To keep the stock harness and make that work all at the same time will definitely be a challenge, doable, but a challenge. I am guessing the flasher is already incorporated into the unit. What makes this situation weird is that in order to make this work (given the above diagram) is to move the electrical location of the turn signal switch from behind the current flasher to before it and then tap, but then if you have two of these modules what I would do is remove the flasher all together, rewire your turn switch in place of the old flasher and then run that wire straight to your two sequencers. The logic here is that you would get a solid +12v signal straight to the sequencer and it will do what you expect it to without the OEM flasher interrupting the flasher inside the sequencer. Of course, you would also need to rewire the taillights as well to accommodate the above schematic to essentially make that work. I hope that makes sense as that is what I am getting from that diagram.

I haven't had time to look at your two circuits that closely, but it looks like you have one with a 555 timer to handle the flash timing and a second one for current amplification/signal conditioning? Am I correct in assuming that you have no under/over current detection in this design? As long as the pulled current is not in excess of what the components can source, it will flash at the same frequency?

I'm definitely interested in something like this. I've wanted to either swap to LED bulbs or revisit the custom tail light ideas that I have, but dealing with the factory flasher has prevented me from pursuing it. For the sequential discussion, don't forget that the outermost bulbs are single filament DRLs only so the bulb holder would need to be swapped from 1156 to 1157 to get all three sections to work for brake lights/turn signals. Easy to do, but it wouldn't be PnP.
Both circuits actually contain a 555 timer (as you mentioned), I actually have a second [similar] circuit that utilizes a 556 timer but the circuitry on that one became very complex due to chip placement and surrounding components. The second 555 is a PWM controller for the DRL brightness. When the headlights are turned on the DRL controller, if you will, will dim the DRLs to approximately 10-15% from the "normal" 85-95% with the headlights in the off condition.

I do want to thank you for mentioning the under/over current detection which I am currently looking into now to see how I can incorporate that into the circuitry. Although doing some quick research last night this should not be a difficult task since the system is already a 12V low-power system that will suffice with DC-DC converters, voltage regulators, and other ESD controlling devices. The current setup, utilizing MOSFETS, should be able to handle the current that is required to drive the four corners of the flashing system. The only thing I am still trying to ensure is whether or not the traces can handle the current needed to drive them. At the moment they should be able to flash at the same frequency, although I am currently having an issue trying to generate the circuitry to hyper flash in the event of an outed bulb.

I will keep everyone posted from time to time as things change. My goal, again, is to see if I can create something for the community that will help keep them alive but also bring them to the future with newer electronics as they are either beaten or destroyed. I am also venturing into making new full harnesses for our cars for those who have a nasty mess that requires a complete rebuild of the whole thing or if they want to go full custom they can which would allow for relocation of many components at their request - inquired on FB when I had one and the responses were actually quite interesting as to how many wanted to buy something like that if created. Anyway, keep posted here, and hopefully, once I get this moving in the correct direction and tested on my car I will give you all a preview of what to expect and whether or not it to your liking or if I built it for myself.

I think its super awesome! More likely a 2g thing, but I'd love to see it! Keep working at it, even if its just for yourself. If you build it, they will come LOL.
For now it is only because that is what I have, ultimately it will be a DSM thing, as I plan to have the modular connect be either a cut and splice or, if possible, a PnP system where I have the matching connector(s) for the 1G or the 2G guys and gals.

Have you thought about just using a switchback bulb? Seems like a lot less hassle.

Have you thought about just using a switchback bulb? Seems like a lot less hassle.
Similar to my projected fuel setup, I have completely removed the electrical system, harnesses and all, from my 2G. With that said, I am building a cheaper option to restoring the functions typically found in a daily while making it more modern. With this, DSMers will not only add the DRL module via a PnP module, remove the mechanical relay, enable the use of LEDs all the way around without having hyper flash or deal with additional resistors.

Ideally i would like to share this with the community, hence the post, however if no one wants the above capabilites that is fine but I will need them since I am in the process of building the harness of the whole car from scratch.

Edit: after researching switchback bulbs... I am against the idea as the concept of this is not the same as what comes up, close but not quite. Also, I somewhat think of those as putting HIDs in reflector housings that originally had incadecents versus using a lens that either had HIDs from OEM with reflector housings or the more common and modern projector housings from OEM or retrofit projectors - they do not make retro reflectors (quality anyway).

Last edited:
I just done some re wiring as when it came into the UK they removed the rear lights as a combined unit due to usa vs uk regs and now I removed 2 of the extra circuits i have hyper flash, i bought some bulbs that have chips inside them but im still 2 or 3 bulbs out the circuit so i dont think it can still work it how it wants to, the module inside is tricky and i would like to convert it to volts instead of resistance. so even a plug in unit would be great if its possible

I just done some re wiring as when it came into the UK they removed the rear lights as a combined unit due to usa vs uk regs and now I removed 2 of the extra circuits i have hyper flash, i bought some bulbs that have chips inside them but im still 2 or 3 bulbs out the circuit so i dont think it can still work it how it wants to, the module inside is tricky and i would like to convert it to volts instead of resistance. so even a plug in unit would be great if its possible
I think I might consider designing two, or even three, different circuits that would be the flasher, DRL, or both depending on what someone needs or requires. In your case, I would think a flasher module would be perfect and simple for your needs, but if you wanted DRLs you would require the other unit.

All great ideas, and I believe I have resolved the power supply and OVP issue.

I think I might consider designing two, or even three, different circuits that would be the flasher, DRL, or both depending on what someone needs or requires. In your case, I would think a flasher module would be perfect and simple for your needs, but if you wanted DRLs you would require the other unit.

All great ideas, and I believe I have resolved the power supply and OVP issue.
i took my module out today and was trying to figure something out and i might have 2 ways to do this hyper flash which is inside the box and dont need loads of resisters in line to the housings. if it works i shall report back as it will only be a couple of dollars to do.

I am absolutely down for a plug and play way to fix the hyper flash. Currently I use the resistors wired in, although they are tucked and spidered into the factory loom, I would rather have nothing in-line and just swap the flasher modules. So, I am in for a purchase if you get it working.

I am absolutely down for a plug and play way to fix the hyper flash. Currently I use the resistors wired in, although they are tucked and spidered into the factory loom, I would rather have nothing in-line and just swap the flasher modules. So, I am in for a purchase if you get it working.
That is definitely the plan, given the research from Bobby (ec17pse) we will see what the outcome of that is. My plan is that if you are trying to avoid potential modification of the stock flasher, or use of inline resistors, then this will be the plan. At the moment I am also researching the connectors needed to make it a true PnP system.

i took my module out today and was trying to figure something out and i might have 2 ways to do this hyper flash which is inside the box and dont need loads of resisters in line to the housings. if it works i shall report back as it will only be a couple of dollars to do.
Awesome, please let me know. Also, if you could take a few pictures of the connectors in that area if you can (connector and whatnot). I have mine completely gutted and I no longer have the wiring harnesses to match the values. With that said, please let me know what you find out and we can tag team this together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back