The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Leaking oil out of oil pressure sensor how do I stop it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norcalgsx707

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 28, 2012
lake county, California
I have tons of oil leaking out of my oil pressure sensor on the oil filter housing, how do I fix it, i did take it off to put on my feed line elbow to my 16g because it wouldnt twist around without hitting it now i have oil oozing all over

You can't use thread tape, the sensors ground via the OFH. I had an issue with my sender leaking oil too, I got it as tight as I was comfortable with and squeezed a good size layer of RTV over the seams. Seems to have held pretty well for me.
Apparently I should go ahead and remove my teflon tape then when I install my oil pressure sender, LOL. Thanks for the heads up, I did not know this. Saves me time down the road when im furious because my sensor isn't working. :)

Rule of thumb, don't use tape, use liquid sealant (paste).

Also, it will still ground with sealant on the threads.

Tape will not squeeze out like liquid sealant though. If you leave a few threads uncovered you will be fine normally.

If you know what your doing either way will work.

Tape will not squeeze out like liquid sealant though. If you leave a few threads uncovered you will be fine normally.

If you know what your doing either way will work.

Well the idea is that tape may become loose and find it's way into the tiny oiling hole in the turbo. Highly unlikely if I were to guess but more plausible than paste. I don't know about you but I've never had any kind of sealant squeeze into the direction of tightening. It always piles up on the outside of the connection. I also like paste over tape since I've seen this:
Thread Paste Vs. Teflon Tape!

Come to think of it, I never really liked the tape in the first place but that's just my opinion..

Well the idea is that tape may become loose and find it's way into the tiny oiling hole in the turbo. Highly unlikely if I were to guess but more plausible than paste. I don't know about you but I've never had any kind of sealant squeeze into the direction of tightening. It always piles up on the outside of the connection. I also like paste over tape since I've seen this:

Come to think of it, I never really liked the tape in the first place but that's just my opinion..

I agree

Can also use a evo 3 OFH (which is sought as an upgrade because thhe filter is further from the exhaust causing the oild to draw less heat)

You should really jack up your driver side, take the wheel off, wipe off the top of your OFH, and run your finger nail across the top (from driver to passenger side) to feel if it cracked before you take on this project.. and you also need to buy a OFH gasket from mitsubishi (dealer only part) they are $2.50. Good luck

Same here, the tape is just a PITA. To the OP, like others said I would clean everything off the best you can and locate the source of the leak; you could end up taking on quite a project that you didn't need to. Purple power, simple green, or a similar degreaser with even a high pressure hose nozzle can make your life a lot easier.

I figured it out and fixed it :) thank god dumb newbie mistake I screwed the sensor off a thread took it out ran the fingernail test and came up empty i went ahead and and put it on finger tight the tigtened it back up one or two notches with a socket, as for my other leak I went to the junkyard and picked up a 2g oil return line and modified it, just got done throwing my 255hp in right now, got one thing to do and thats the fpr hopefully it goes smooth even though i have no idea how to install it thanks to everyone whos helped out so far much respect come from this side thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back