The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Laws for Selling Vehicles...question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTsiAwd

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2003
Terre Haute, Indiana
Well long story short, I sold my Talon a couple months ago and purchased a 99 Cobra from Missouri(I live in Arkansas). Owner said nothing to me about the car being in 2 wrecks. A friend of mine had a Carfax run on it since he has access and I do not, and sure enough, it has been in 2 wrecks.

Not only does this piss me off beyond belief, it will make it hard to sell the car or well is making it hard to.

Now I know the law for lieing/not telling a buyer about any previous accidents etc...when selling a car in Arkansas, but I do not know the law about it in Missouri. So does anyone know anything about it in Missouri?

Thanks in advance,

Cody

The seller is not required to offer any information. The only way it would stand up in court is if he lied about it being wrecked and it was in writing. Thats why there is carfax. And thats why you should ask questins and get the answers in writing. Basically, you bought it without doing research so you are stuck with it.

That sucks, but you should have done better research. A $20 carfax initially could have saved you this problem.

So even if you ask them in person, and they say no, it would be my fault?

Whiplash said:
So even if you ask them in person, and they say no, it would be my fault?

It would be if you didnt get it in writing. Verbal contracts rarely stand up in court. All the judge could do is just sit around and guess who is lying.

Yeah, and if you signed any pieace of paper with the words "as is" on it, your screwed.

Just the way it is, like the gut above said, any kind of verbal contract will not work. The judge will not know ether of you, thus will only believe what is in writing with your signature.

Did you register for the Carfax buyback guarantee? I think they buyback lemons, but you have to register.

I'm going to have to say dig deeper. There are many laws to protect buyers, most people think you are "screwed" if you don't ask the right questions, but many transactions require disclosures, unbeknownst to the seller. I don't know about state specifics, but there are laws, including:

Damage Fraud: Iowa's damage disclosure law requires car sellers to give you written notice if the car incurred damage of $5,000 or more while the seller owned the vehicle, and if the seller had knowledge the vehicle had ever been titled as salvage, flood or rebuilt. Read all disclosures and related paperwork carefully before you sign anything, and ask to see the most recent title and any previous "Damage Disclosure Statements."

Talk to a lawyer or do some more research. Don't be too quick to give up. The gov't is on your side for once. You can always go to court...

There's nothing you can do. Car dealers sell cars that were wrecked all the time. Not all accidents show up on carfax. Lucky for you, they're there, which means you could have avoided all this but you didn't. Live and learn.

Maybe the dude didnt even know... was he the orginal owner??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back