The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Launching

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerocygnal

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
Alright..I'll state a bit of the obvious first, explain my problem, and what steps I've already taken.

"When starting out and accelerating, the center of gravity of the vehicle shifts towards the rear increasing the rear wheel load and decreasing the front wheel load. The center differential causes less drive power to be transmitted to the rear wheels resulting in a lower driving torque. At the same time, however the rotational speed difference between the front and rear wheels increases and the viscous coupling operates to limit the differential action of the center differential, securing a supply of drive power to the wheels. In this way, performance when starting out and accelerating is secured...."

Hopefully I am perceiving this as it is meant to be. It was taken out of the DSM manual. What I understand is that the power to the rear wheels is limited under acceleration conditions.

The problem: Weight transfer is reducing rear wheel torque.
I've been practicing my launches and notice that the front end raises up alot. I would say that the wheel well to tire measurement goes from 2" to about 5 possibly 7 inches. I have coilovers w/ KYB AGX with a 2" drop. Short of going all out muscle car ladder bar suspension...how can I reduce the effects of weight transfer?
Is it possible to to increase the power to the rear wheels under an accelerating condition?
If not...what else can be done to the suspension?

And if I'm way off...tell me what I've got wrong.

Ty

Thanks, sorry for the long post

Looking at things logically, there are a few ways you can reduce the amount of weight transfer on your launch.

1) Stiffer rear springs
2) Stiffer rear shocks
3) Launch slower

Are your shocks adjustable? I stiffen up my rear shocks at the dragstrip. Try to release your clutch less quickly to tranfer the power to your wheels more slowly. Once you get going a bit, dump the clutch and you should get less weight transfer than if you'd dumped it from the line.

Lastly, this won't reduce weight transfer, but it will help with traction. Reduce the tire pressure in your rear tires a bit. Do it in steps and see the effect it has on your 1/4 mile times.

Chris

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'm afraid to let it out to slowly because for right now it's the factory clutch, it slips on 5 grand if you let it out to slow.
I'll try to raise the back up an inch on the coilovers.

Main question: Is there a way to get around the problem with the center diff?

Outstanding. I think I've seen what your talking about before, now that you mention it. However, does that not effect the ability of the outside turning wheel to spin faster durring a turn? I'll do some research on it, I've never messed with AWD really before the Talon, other than trucks, but that is somewhat different.

Thanks!

Edit: Duh...that would be the rear differential's job...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back