The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Launch limit on stock trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colinssweeney

Probationary Member
Dec 30, 2021
Calgary, AB_Canada
Wondering what the limits of the stock trans and t-case are. I'm running mid 300ish HP on 15lbs of boost. I would like to know how high I can set the launch rev limiter before I'm gonna start breaking drivetrain components?

health of the drivetrain.
For example, the trans output shaft and transfer case input coupler have a tendency to wear the splines causing a weak link. This was mine, I had no idea until I visually inspected it: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1991-tsi-awd.540276/post-153863237
I'm not one to launch it, but I have a feeling it would have given up if I had.
Sorry, I can't really answer your question but a soft clutch will save drivetrain while a heavier clutch often depends on the driver.

Do we know at what torque levels does 3rd gear strip? Or anything we can do to maximize 3rds lifespan? Like only doing one pull and letting it cool way down inbetween or are we just boned? I’m super tempted to just limit boost in 3rd and have it make power everywhere else. Lol.

Do we know at what torque levels does 3rd gear strip? Or anything we can do to maximize 3rds lifespan? Like only doing one pull and letting it cool way down inbetween or are we just boned? I’m super tempted to just limit boost in 3rd and have it make power everywhere else. Lol.
Anything over 400 ft-lbs puts it on borrowed time. Here's a checklist of things that can help:
-Don't run a stroker motor with a huge turbo on a stock transmission (duh)
-Pull some boost or timing in the 3500-5000 RPM range to reduce torque
-Don't do pulls from low RPM in 3rd and 4th
-Limit time spent at full load in the 3500-4500 RPM range, where big torque spikes can occur
-Don't do repeated pulls in 3rd and 4th gears, allow cooldown time
-Install a transmission cooler that will spray over the 3/4 gear cluster (not going to help a ton in drag racing)

Anything over 400 ft-lbs puts it on borrowed time. Here's a checklist of things that can help:
-Don't run a stroker motor with a huge turbo on a stock transmission (duh)
-Pull some boost or timing in the 3500-5000 RPM range to reduce torque
-Don't do pulls from low RPM in 3rd and 4th
-Limit time spent at full load in the 3500-4500 RPM range, where big torque spikes can occur
-Don't do repeated pulls in 3rd and 4th gears, allow cooldown time
-Install a transmission cooler that will spray over the 3/4 gear cluster (not going to help a ton in drag racing)
Awesome this is great info. I will look at my tune and make some changes.

To add peace of mind, I wouldn’t sweat it too much. We did exactly what Canadian_cd9a said not to do and mated a stock 90 trans to a 2.3 stroker with a Borg Warner s366sx in a divided 1.0ar t4 housing hung from it, car made 660 at 34lbs on e85 and a ton of torque, survived multiple pulls seen about 4k street miles a year (one of the most street driven dsm’s here in Buschur country), went back after 2 years of that abuse and made 735 at the wheels and even more torque on 41lbs on e85 on the lowest reading dyno around once the switch was made from ecmlink to linkecu g4+, survived a few more months then sheered all the teeth off third gear at the shootout. Same car is still on a 2.3 stroker, but now has an s369sxe making even more power…but on a stock rebuilt trans. It’s definitely on borrowed time but nothing is instant death with a little thought behind it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back