The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Launch, Flyby & Spool - FP JB Black Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VETDRMS

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
Took the Talon out for a little fun this afternoon and decided to make a few videos to follow up with the other thread here on the install/impressions.

Also, winter is fast approaching and I wanted a few things to watch for motivation when it is bitter cold out and the car is tore apart for upgrades/maintenance and I am longing for spring. ;) The dash was shot with a GoPro Hero 3 Black and car video was shot with a Sony RX100 MII. I set up the Zoom H1 for audio but the Sony did such a good job I didn't have to mess with the sound at all.

This is the first time I have done a dash overlay. The sync isn't perfect but it is close. I want to find a way to overlay data from a Link log, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Boost was about 27-28psi.

Launch from behind @ 3900rpm & 14.5psi: [ame=http://youtu.be/Ua0cq3bMqxE]FP JB Black Launch - Back - YouTube[/ame]

Shifted manually with shift box at 8k; was a little late on the 1-2 as the GoPro was blocking the tach. Pretty soft launch, but if I hold it much more than this it will blow the tires off. I need to find the right launch rpm to get it to hit hard without doing a burnout. This is still a clutched converter so that auto-engages and pulls the rpm down a bit before it powers through it.

Launch from front and flyby (launch @ 3750rpm & 10.8psi): FP JB Black Launch - Front

Spool based on 2nd Gear pull at 28-29psi, WOT @ 2500rpm: FP JB Black 2nd Gear Spool

Pretty low rpm start and you can see where the converter is still slipping a bit over 5k. I wouldn't call this laggy at all if you are driving it right.

Spool/response based on 1st gear hit at 3500rpm: [ame=http://youtu.be/ZaLXXOdVoe0]FP JB Black Stop/Rolling Pull - YouTube[/ame]

So far the FP Black is working out pretty good. It was a pretty fun romp in the Mexican countryside with the old bird. Thanks for looking.

I am SO glad im converting to auto awd. Thank you sir for the videos. Very nice!

Good stuff!

-Michael

Thanks guys; this is a fun combo. :hellyeah:

Is this on the 2.4???

Yes, my spec page is up to date, but the rest of the build is:

• Late split-thrust 7-bolt 4G64 bored to 87mm
  • Eagle 100mm crank / h-beam rods
  • Wiseco HD1400 pistons - about 10:1
  • 2g ported head (English Racing)
  • GSC Valvetrain: Beehives/SuperAlloyValves/Lifters - Kiggly HLA
  • GSC custom S2 cams - similar to new "S2R", but with 11.7mm lift instead of 12.0mm
  • Evo III Intake / T.B.
  • VRSF FMIC
  • FP Race Manifold
  • PR External Dump O2 housing / TurboSmart 38mm
  • 3" Turbo-back exhaust (2 dynomax Bullet mufflers and 1 dynomax Ultra-Flow)
  • Built auto-custom carbon/kevlar clutched restall converter - dual flex plates & larger bolts
I recently switched to a OE composite 4G64 gasket after pushing coolant on the Felpro Permatorque MLS. After some inspection, the 87mm gasket bore was actually in the chamber a slight amount due to the bore chamfer and it was taking far too much heat. It is not offered in 88mm so I tried the 4G64 which is 88mm to get it away from the chamber/combustion. It has held up great so far, but to be safe I relaxed timing a lot from my prior tune on the S256. The current timing curve is below, and is still has faster incremental times when compared to the S256 at the same boost and more timing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sweet thinking about getting one still for my future goals past 400hp now at least 500 whp, no more holest for me.

Are you just torque braking for launch? No two step? Antilag?

Just brake-stalling, no 2-step or antilag. I really noticed a difference in this from sea level. At about 3500' now.

^^^^ curious too. You using a vac pump to help the booster?

How do you keep it from pulling thru brakes?

Nothing special, I just pump the brakes once or twice and push. I only have 6-8" of idle vacuum, but it works. Timing comes down fast as it spools so that helps. I am using some metallic parts-store pads. I can hold it higher, but it blows the tires off at 18psi. This has been a good converter setup despite exploding the stator in the last one. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back