The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Larger tires in rear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0c7

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 2, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
I currently have 225/40Z/R18 tires all around on 18" rims. My car is dropped 2" inches. The front wheel gap is very minimal and looks great, but the gap in the rear is horrible. I heard that I can't do 18" rims in the front and 19" in the back(can't remembr why though) but can I get away with larger tires in the rear and leaving the front the way it is?

n0c7 said:
I currently have 225/40Z/R18 tires all around on 18" rims. My car is dropped 2" inches. The front wheel gap is very minimal and looks great, but the gap in the rear is horrible. I heard that I can't do 18" rims in the front and 19" in the back(can't remembr why though) but can I get away with larger tires in the rear and leaving the front the way it is?

Do you mean taller, like a 225/45 or wider like a 235/40? You may get by with wider, but I am pretty sure a taller tire will probably rub a lot.

dont need 8 said:
Do you mean taller, like a 225/45 or wider like a 235/40? You may get by with wider, but I am pretty sure a taller tire will probably rub a lot.

The width looks fine to me, its the height i'm concerned about. The front has about a 1 inch gap, and the rear has like a 4 inch gap. So Im thinking higher tires?

The gap between the fender and the tire is smaller in front than in back? How long has the car been dropped? I have only seen where the rear is lower than the front not the other way around.

You might be able to get Discount Tire or someone local to mount up a set of taller tires and see if they rub, especially if you are buying new. They may be able to give better advice to ya concerning your specific setup.

dont need 8 said:
The gap between the fender and the tire is smaller in front than in back? How long has the car been dropped? I have only seen where the rear is lower than the front not the other way around.

You might be able to get Discount Tire or someone local to mount up a set of taller tires and see if they rub, especially if you are buying new. They may be able to give better advice to ya concerning your specific setup.

I don't know if you can tell by this pic:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v393/pssssst/SCC%20pics/?action=view&current=DSC03299.jpg

The car has been dropped for about 1.5 years.

You can do it on a GST, provided both of your FRONT wheels are of the same rolling diameter.

Yep it's a GST, but what is rolling diameter? I've got camber kits on every wheel btw...

Rolling diameter is from one outside edge (part of tire contacting ground) of the tire to another.

If you have the same size wheels, and same size tires, you are fine.

You guys have thought about things like changing the braking bias more towards the front by installing larger-diameter rear tires, right?

- Jtoby

I'm not all that concerned about braking right now, because my stock brakes SUCK anyway. I'm aiming for the big brake upgrade.

Sure, you can put taller tires on the back as long as you make them narrower. 205/50/18's should fit fine. You may have trouble finding that size though (thank God).

jtmcinder said:
You guys have thought about things like changing the braking bias more towards the front by installing larger-diameter rear tires, right?

- Jtoby

Yes. I wasn't going to get into that, I just figured I'd answer his question.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back