The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Landmark EPA Ruling/SCOTUS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackedDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
So for those who don’t know, SCOTUS just recently BTFO’ed the EPA and their ability to regulate things. This is not a political thread so please keep that out of this thread.

What I’m curious about, is does this mean our beloved car modifications are safe finally? Can we start selling “off-road only” parts again with impunity? Can we get rid of DEF now?

There’s people smarter than me here, I’d like to hear your thoughts. Either way, this is pretty freakin awesome. The EPA has grown to be way too tyrannical in these years.

I thought it just applied to the power generation sector? Although, I have only read a few short news articles to that regard (since I work in the power sector).

I thought it just applied to the power generation sector? Although, I have only read a few short news articles to that regard (since I work in the power sector).

From what I gather it started in the power generation sector but they challenged the organizations ability to regulate anything. Saying they’re just an advisor, they have no power to regulate anything or pass any laws/restrictions in any capacity.

As long as we can keep the thread free of political rancor and rhetoric, and people don't start lobbing insults (veiled or otherwise), I'll leave it open to discuss. It could be a very interesting development for the automotive community. But we'll have to see what the legal experts say - maybe SEMA or PRI will post some comments about it soon.

As long as we can keep the thread free of political rancor and rhetoric, and people don't start lobbing insults (veiled or otherwise), I'll leave it open to discuss. It could be a very interesting development for the automotive community. But we'll have to see what the legal experts say - maybe SEMA or PRI will post some comments about it soon.

Exactly my thought. Not sure how this would be political unless people started bringing party lines into it and other stupid stuff like that. It’s 100% relevant to us because of the EPA crackdown on parts lately. More recently like the guys at PFI Speed being raped by the EPA right now.

Speaking of which, if someone knows Brent at PFI Speed mention this ruling to him. Maybe his lawyer can run with it and get all those ridiculous fines cleared.

And just an hour after I posted my reply I get this email from SEMA. Sounds like they believe it will have no bearing on the automotive world for the time being.

I wish they’d expound on why. Because if they rule that they have no power to create these regulations it has bigger connotations.

Either way. Guess we gotta wait and see.

I thought I read that it just means the EPA doesn't have the authority to impose this, but instead kicked it over to Congress who does.

I don't understand the equality between tyranny and trying to make a change for the better, though, but I am also going to avoid any kind of explanation.

The EPA has been drunk on power for years and years now, they need to be put back in their place or better yet replaced with something else that is more transparent and mainstream.

My husband is in the environmental health field, so he has been looking into this a lot. To be honest I haven't looked into it at all myself, but he is quick to point out that what this ruling forbids is stuff that the EPA hasn't actually been doing anyway. No change to existing regulation CAN come from this, but it does change what the EPA could do (and was told to do by Trump) in the future. What I don't know is whether the inability to enact Trump's regulations is a good thing or a bad thing because I haven't bothered to ask him what those regulations were. And, to be fair, there are also Obama-era changes that were queued but never enacted that also disappear as a result of this. But again, don't know if that's good or bad.

All DSMs already have regulatory-compliant equipment requirements. The EPA ruling pertained to regulating the so-called greenhouse gasses, mainly carbon dioxide. I think it was not legally established (per this ruling, right or wrong) that regulating CO2 is necessary to protect human health or the environment (obviously that is the controversial part). The EPA does regulate plenty of air emissions, including auto emissions, for contaminants that have been shown to be harmful to human health and the environment (H.Cs. CO, Lead!!! etc.). For those who don't believe there is a case to be made for protecting human health by regulation, take a look at the decline in the blood lead levels of children in cities since lead was banned from gas. It's a direct correlation. On the other hand, the dose makes the poison, so a few enthusiast that drive their cars very little and have removed the egr or cat (or even running leaded gas) are probably not contributing much to the overall picture. I live in Wyoming where they would let you fuel your car with coal if it were feasible.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back