The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lancer Evolution III Cylinder Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMunknown

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Worcester, Massachusetts
Here are some photos of my Evo 3 head. Just ask for the measurements you're interested in. The intake ports measure at 57mm x 30mm.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Unfortunately, I don't have an extra 2G or 1G head to take comparison photos or measurements. I'm looking for people to post up their own photos to help gain some relative information.

Is there anything to be gained from running an EVO III head over a ported 1g or 2g? I'm curious as to whether the design of the intake and exhaust ports themselves is substantially different, or different enough that someone skilled with a die grinder couldn't equal or surpass an EVO III head with a DSM head.

It looks similar to a 2g head, but the ports almost look more vertical which is better in my book.

Damn it Anthony!
You're always getting col stuff.
I gave my spare 2G head away last month, or I would taken all the pics you needed.

-Dan

Bringing this thread back. I have a 6bolt block that supposedly has an EVOIII head on it. I have it off, and was wondering what physical features ie: markings, numbers, etc. will distinguish it from a 1g or 2g head?

Haha sorry man, I'm keeping it to mess around with and maybe use in the future. I just need info on how to determine if it is an EVOIII head or not.

So the ports are the big giveaway, gotcha. But what about numbering/lettering? On the thermostat housing side of my old motor(90 TSi 6 bolt) it said "2.0L" with a small "L". This one says "G6" with a number "7" under that. The intake ports look bigger, though. So I don't think it's a EVOIII head.

and what about fisical identification any?? I have one that is from a ''evo" 3 but I want to make sure .how to know if the cams are original. I looked on the net and there must have some C, B, J on them

Has anyone figured out whether there is a difference between the 2G head and an Evo III/RVR head. I have a 2G head right now I was planning on using for my build but know where I can get an Evo III/RVR head, and am wondering if its worth it. I will be using the Evo III/RVR intake.

I've run an EVO III cylinder head for years and there's no difference in power (from my butt dyno at least) the cams (if yours has the EVO III cams) are identical to a 1g's so technically you'll pick up some power (for a 2g). Mines been ported recently, during my rebuild. I only bought it for kudos, it has a special valve cover (ooh), for more power? It's not worth it.

The Evo3 has a 8.8:1 compression ratio. I assume the higher compression is from cylinder head volume, unless the pistons were changed. (Bore and stroke are the same.)

The Evo3(8.8:1) gained 10 HP over the Evo2(8.5:1).
[The Evo3 also got a better compressor wheel which may account for some HP change.]

compression changes were made at pistons.
evo 3 head casting is same as 2g.
the only differences were cams and filled exhaust valves. all the evos 1-9 came with filled exhaust valves which help keep the valve cooler. 6N will be stamped on valve instead of DSM 6T

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back