The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

*L33t Thread* So can we call it the P5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slugsgomoo said:
my feeling on the A64 line of products is that it is a step *toward* the right direction. Moving to 64 bit is a good choice. However, the x86 platform has major problems that go right to the core of the design. If you compare the x86 to other platforms (like Alpha, Sparc, Itanium, PPC, etc) it is very flawed, and part of the reason it is slower for given speeds is that it is a fairly inneficient design.

The clockspeed war *did* matter, and it did help. You can't honestly tell me that either manufacturers 3ghz+ processors are no faster than a 2ghz, etc. The problem with the clockspeed war is that it became a game of diminishing returns. More and more power, for less and less payoff. It's the same way in tweaking a car. At some point, you go from spending $100-$1000 to pick up some major horsepower, and severely lessen your E/T's, to suddenly spending $10k+ a shot, to save a tenth. The law of diminishing returns applys in most everything, and it always bites you in the ass.

Anyhow, my point regarding the intel stuff, is that office apps are still the most important facet in terms of selling processors. That and longetivity and reliabilty. Every AMD processor i've ever had has been great- fast, cheap, but unfortunately they seem to die more quickly, or at least stop benchmarking as quickly (odd that). intel has the corporate sector pretty well, because they do everything well enough, and they have a reputation that customers trust. AMD is definitely making inroads in this regard, but after the debacles of the K6x, the K7, the Tbird, Athlon XP... well... there are some nasties going on.

For what it's worth, i've got a couple of 3200+ 64bit AMD laptops in my office. They are nice, fast enough, and get the job done. I don't have a problem with them.

Anyhow, for most of my office work, I can bring a 2+ghz machine to it's knees, even with Gobs-o-Ram(TM) ;)

of course i may spend my time hanging out with all the atypical power users who say the same kind of thing.

Anyhow, it's irrelevant.

I won't personally ever, ever- spend another dollar on an AMD product. I'll use them at work if i have to, but... Let's just say that after the crap they pulled with me last time I was left with a very, very sour taste in my mouth.

if you think x86 is more flawed than the itanium you need your head examined. and yes, i honestly can say a 2ghz chip can be faster than a 3ghz chip, its been proven many times.

talon94es said:
Slugs, might want to change your Hobbies profile if your burnt on the PC gaming HTPC gig ;)

Personally, I just got back into PC gaming after a long break. Got into Consoles for quite some time. Until Nov 03 when I got my current P4 2.6c (oc'd to 3.2 stable) w/ 1gig Dual Channel OCZ , ATI AIW 9800 and that does the trick to this day. Got me back into PC gaming big time.

mysticfire6602,

You seem just a little bit to fanatical about AMD. You an employee or stockholder or something? LOL. Anyways, I agree with a few of your fanboy statements but not a lot of them. I'll agree that AMD def got the jump on intel in the 64bit Architecture arena but that wasn't until late 03 and intel was always setting the benchmark to follow in the CPU industry for quite some time. AMD K6's were a joke. You needed to pratically patch every game/app just to take advantage of it. We'll see what happens when this Dual core stuff comes out and what it means for gaming etc.

And, BTW, they said what chipset the new dualcores are using.(Intel® 955X Express chipset and 945x) . Can't wait to see what these CPUS mean for gaming..

I did get to check out my friends AMD FX55 rig running 3dmark03 tonight and it was tight. I've just always been an Intel dude since they have been very reliable for me. Hell, I had a P100 running without a fan for probably months on end back in the day and it survived and I slapped a new fan on and the whole chip was discolored from the heat of running without a fan.. Now thats reliable..

im not an AMD "fanatic," i just dont like intel's views :thumb: i wouldnt really agree with you when you say intel has been setting the benchmark standard. when the A64 came out about 75% of all reviewers use the A64 as default. and as for the K6, ill agree, it sucked, but again it was early in AMD's career, ya gotta learn from your mistakes. just like intel with the itanium, plain and simple, it sucked major donkey di#k. and even still, the itanium 2 sucks major donkey di#k. and intels BTX "standard" they tried to get out, only a select few few even bothered to make a prototype to see how it ran because it also just plain sucks. its like intel hired a master of feng shui to design the board.

i've had nothing but bad experiences with amd and tend to stay clear from them.. so i've always been an intel guy. sure, they've had a lot of bad moves over the year but bottom line is they're the cpu leaders and as was stated earlier, have set the cpu benchmark.

it's amazing to see how far we've come in so little time. i'm only 22 years old and i still remember working on my 286 :thumb: just imagine what the next 10 years have in store.

marcmsj said:
and as was stated earlier, have set the cpu benchmark.

nope, re-read what i said above, 75% of reviewers now use the a64 as the standard

i think this thread should be closed. the AMD guys will not become intel guys, and the intel guys will not become AMD guys. we each have our own reasons. all i have to say is this, does your computer actually run?

mysticfire6602 said:
i think this thread should be closed. the AMD guys will not become intel guys, and the intel guys will not become AMD guys. we each have our own reasons. all i have to say is this, does your computer actually run?

why should this thread be closed??? :thumbdown

we're just having a healthy discussion :cool:

LOL, a healthy discussion. i dont have anything more to add to what i was talking about earlier yet, but all i have to say is that my a64 2800+ kicks my uncles 3ghz p4 with hyperthreading in the ass in every catergory

mysticfire6602 said:
LOL, a healthy discussion. i dont have anything more to add to what i was talking about earlier yet, but all i have to say is that my a64 2800+ kicks my uncles 3ghz p4 with hyperthreading in the ass in every catergory

yeah well.... yours doesn't say "intel inside" :p so you're not cool like the rest of us :cool:

nope, mine has a cool little athlon 64 symbol sticker. and im fine with my "intel sucks" sticker on the inside of my case door :cool:

mysticfire6602 said:
if you think x86 is more flawed than the itanium you need your head examined. and yes, i honestly can say a 2ghz chip can be faster than a 3ghz chip, its been proven many times.

That is a somewhat misleading statement, as this would be true if one chip had a more efficient design than the other.

my group of close nit friends went in a bad direction about 5 or 6 years ago... AMD... what happened they wentthrough 4 computers in 5 years becayse there P.O.S. AMD's broke down on them and effed up every time..

I at the same time bought the first P4 1.7 when it came out and DAMN it still runs and only reason I upgraded was to a p4 3.2 w/gig o ram and better grahpics card and 80 gig hdd...

Intel ownz AMD in every aspect, I know I've worked at Intel before for 2 years and we did alot of bench tests and bench tests are pointless, You can make a P2 266 mhz run faster then ANY amd.... just have to test the right charistics... AMD sucks balls always will break down and never last.

Needless to say all my friends wised up and got real PC's with Intel badging except one idiot who got a mac, but he likes audiovideo so he needs it... but they are still ghey!

Intel ownz every little bit of AMD and nothing will ever change that. AMD sucks sweaty monkey nutz

did you get my drift I like Intel... :rolleyes: :D :thumb:

I think you should link us to some graph comparisons proving what you say. ;)

(Not trying to flame, I just like looking at comparison graphs!)

uhmm....i believe its 1337 not L33t.....come on now!!! j00 4r3n7 v3ry 1337, 4r3 j00???? n3wb!!!!!!!!!

oh and btw --- intel still sucks my anus....if anything, AMD doesnt play the stupid numbers game that intel does....not like it matters anyway...can you play your gamez0r?? do you get more than 20fps?? THEN GOOD!! just bc yer comp has freakin 2 more MHz than mine doesnt matter.....all that matters is if you can play the game. :p Of course, I cant even run HL2??? HEHEHE whatever....thats what i get for spending my money on my car :-|

Originally, it was 'leet'. Used widely in the Team Fortress Classic community, though I'm sure it originated somewhere else. Probably Everquest, or a similar RPG.

Then a bunch of CS ####'s came along and butchered it into l33t, 1337, etc. ;)

I've used both Chip manufacturers and to be honest, unless you're benchmarking, both perform reliably and quickly. As stated above, my 3200+ plays FarCry and Doom3 VERY smoothly, so I'm quite happy with it.

The ONLY AMD chips I've had trouble with were the old TBirds, God, I hate those things. What utter shit. All the XP series chips I've used have performed just fine. The A64 I'm running now performs absolutely beautifully.

Jesse has always been VERY pro-Intel. I think one of our first debates were over computer tech :laugh:

leet said:
Jesse has always been VERY pro-Intel. I think one of our first debates were over computer tech :laugh:

I remember it so well, hahahaha :p

hahaha I love to stir up shit that I don't care about 30 seconds later, LOL

although my constant 200+ fps in Live for speed with settings cranked up to the max is VERY nice at 1600x1200 or some high setting like that...

leet = teh :cool: ness :thumb: ":p <3"

hehe I run 1600x1200 with 8x aa and 8x af in LFS. Runs smooooth :p

Hopefully S2 will be a little more graphic intensive. Plus LFS is more video card dependent then CPU as with the majority of games...

adidalax said:
uhmm....i believe its 1337 not L33t.....come on now!!! j00 4r3n7 v3ry 1337, 4r3 j00???? n3wb!!!!!!!!!

oh and btw --- intel still sucks my anus....if anything, AMD doesnt play the stupid numbers game that intel does....not like it matters anyway...can you play your gamez0r?? do you get more than 20fps?? THEN GOOD!! just bc yer comp has freakin 2 more MHz than mine doesnt matter.....all that matters is if you can play the game. :p Of course, I cant even run HL2??? HEHEHE whatever....thats what i get for spending my money on my car :-|

How the hell did this go from dual core architecture to flaming someone for their name. 1337 133t same difference. They're both geek related and in this thread your point is irrelevant. You don't like it. Start a thread about it.

Thank You, Please come again :D

Haha, T, I don't think he was flaming my name. Even if he was, so what?

Easy killer :p

leet is old hacker/phreak speak. its been used on irc as far back as i can remember. it still seems weird to me that the internet is as popular as it is now.. 13 year old kids that know nothing about computers still know about leet heh..

i remember when mortal kombat II was new in arcades i could print out the moves and sell them to people for 10 bucks. ahh the good old days :D

mysticfire6602 said:
i think tomshardware explains AMD's side very well in these charts in terms of hardcore demands on the cpu, im not talking about stupid little things like office apps that only differ by mere seconds to save/open/compile/whatever

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-15.html#directx_9

You're going to need a better source than Tom's Hardware to convince me, that site's been biased on certain things since they've been around.

Objective proof is best.

Ya, leet has been used on IRC for a VERY long time. Online gaming popularized the term.

The only reason I picked it for a username here is because I had a bit of mental block and could not think of anything else :thumb:

leet said:
Haha, T, I don't think he was flaming my name. Even if he was, so what?

Easy killer :p

Ya, I just don't understand the geeks need to flame geeks, there are just to few of us. :D
Oh well.

(Back to the topic)

Tom's hardware is biased against those who don't pay them enough. Which is why I usually rely on www.hardocp.com or www.2cpu.com for my reviews. Plus I subscribe to maximum pc for other reviews as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back