The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

*L33t Thread* So can we call it the P5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can't find any pics. But it is supposedly coming out as soon as April. So when I find some pics I'll be sure to add them to this thread.

They should name it Expensivium. :|

intel can suck my ass, amd all the way. and this dual core thing isnt new, the concept has been around for quite some time. and AMD's version is scheduled to come out first

mysticfire6602 said:
amd all the way.

glad to hear we got another amd guy out there. i made the mistake of buying the duron, though. my mobo died, now i have to wait for the comp shop to order one in (another 2 weeks :thumbdown ). i'm sittin on my ghetto 500mhz celeron (a small step down from my overclocked 1.4ghz duron)

mysticfire6602 said:
:cool: i love my athlon 64

Agreed. AMD has never let me down, and they're cheaper.

I've used them since I was like.. 14. 7 years. :thumb:

leet said:
Agreed. AMD has never let me down, and they're cheaper.

I've used them since I was like.. 14. 7 years. :thumb:

Not always cheaper. I went to fry's about 6 months ago and was looking at chips. I ran across basically the same Intel and AMD chips with board combo's. The intel chip cost me $100 less than the AMD. I had to ask the lady twice about it and she was even a little confused. She checked it out and yup the AMD cost $100.00 more thant the P4.

I had an AMD duran for a few years. Great low budget chip. Better than the cheap ass Celeron chips..

Wow, that is pretty rare to see an Intel go for less than an AMD.

Cool.

I used to work at a computer store as a service tech. Well, one time a customer came in and (obviously) was having computer problems. To put it frankly, the computer wouldn't POST. After I opened the computer I found out the problem. The cpu got so hot that it MELTED the plastic socket to itself. Obviously the CPU fried itself which was the reason the computer wasn't POSTing. So I had to replace the CPU AND the mainboard. Needless to say the CPU was an AMD. :cool: GO AMD :thumb: :thumb:

You'd think that a dual core architecture would be enough of a diversion from the current arch. to warrant a name change. Maybe they plan on saving it for something REALLY special like the first Intel-designed quantum computer chip.
AMD lost me when Intel first came out with the the 800Mhz FSB. They had enough of a speedup to edge out over AMDs benchmarks in every category. Unfortunately this was the time I was shipping for a processor and Intel got my business. Everyone else rode the short bus ;)

:laugh: Was it a TBird? Those things could get so damned hot it was ridiculous.

I don't know Mike, I think it was a T-Bird. But just think with a Dual core those intel chips will probably get just as hot. Also the article doesn't specify whether it's going to be a Socket 478 or Socket T. Or it's going to be in entirely different socket. One thing that the article specify is that recent and previous chipset will be incompatible so NOW EVERYONE HAS TO BUY a new mainboard to be compatible with the dual core chip. :thumb: Intel. :rolleyes:

I think it's alright to have a chip that puts out a lot of heat, AS LONG as you have a simple, efficient way of dissipating it.

Computer manufacturers are on the ball now, with HSF design. It's not like the early 90's anymore.

Gimme a chip, I'll slap an Alpha on it and get to OCing ;)

Then again, my case flows more air than most people's HVAC systems do :laugh:

*cough cough...phase change water cooling...cough cough* :p

Heh, I've done that. Did it to a TBird no less :laugh:

I think that would be too much work to set up and maintain on your average home computer. :p

karbon said:
You'd think that a dual core architecture would be enough of a diversion from the current arch. to warrant a name change. Maybe they plan on saving it for something REALLY special like the first Intel-designed quantum computer chip.
AMD lost me when Intel first came out with the the 800Mhz FSB. They had enough of a speedup to edge out over AMDs benchmarks in every category. Unfortunately this was the time I was shipping for a processor and Intel got my business. Everyone else rode the short bus ;)

ok, so you went to intel when they went to 800mhz? hmm, so you didnt follow amd when they came out with the amd athlon 64 and used the physical speed of the chip as the speed of the memory controller?

and no, they didnt trounce amd in every category, amd was still supreme in audio encoding (but who really cares about that) and gaming, which is what everyone cares about. the only thing intel excells in is making office apps REALLY fast, honestly who needs a word document to save any faster than a 200mhz processor can do it in?

mysticfire6602 said:
ok, so you went to intel when they went to 800mhz? hmm, so you didnt follow amd when they came out with the amd athlon 64 and used the physical speed of the chip as the speed of the memory controller?

and no, they didnt trounce amd in every category, amd was still supreme in audio encoding (but who really cares about that) and gaming, which is what everyone cares about. the only thing intel excells in is making office apps REALLY fast, honestly who needs a word document to save any faster than a 200mhz processor can do it in?

All i can say is that it's quite obvious that you don't work with computers. There's a vast difference between a 1ghz in the office, and a 2+ghz. The degrees of seperationg become less, but any time that you're dealing with large documents, coding, etc. That extra power is nice.

I won't use AMD because they ####ed me over so many times that they couldn't pay me to take one of their processors, I don't care if it is 1000x faster, does my laundry and has dinner waiting for me at home.

Frankly though, i don't even care anymore. By the time i get done with work, i'm completely done with computers for the day. Ditched the HTPC, don't game on the PC anymore, haven't upgraded in ages (1.6ghz p4 oc'ed to 2.2ghz).

It's like mechanics that drive shit cars. You just don't want to deal with that shit, after dealing with everyone elses all day.

slugsgomoo said:
All i can say is that it's quite obvious that you don't work with computers.

oh, sorry about that, but i have been working with computers since i was about 10. ;) intel had it all wrong with the whole "the more megahurtz, the faster it is" fad. intel was speeding into a brick wall while amd was heading in the right direction, hypertransport. and let us not forget, amd's current x86-64 technoloigy is so far advanced over intel's, that intel was forced to adopt amd's new processor extensions. i would never reccomend intel to anyone. they are expensive, power hungry, overheating, overpticed, over-hyped, dogs.

amd owns j00! :thumb:

mysticfire6602 said:
oh, sorry about that, but i have been working with computers since i was about 10. ;) intel had it all wrong with the whole "the more megahurtz, the faster it is" fad. intel was speeding into a brick wall while amd was heading in the right direction, hypertransport. and let us not forget, amd's current x86-64 technoloigy is so far advanced over intel's, that intel was forced to adopt amd's new processor extensions. i would never reccomend intel to anyone. they are expensive, power hungry, overheating, overpticed, over-hyped, dogs.

Hmmm...I guess that was sorta the point of this thread was to show that intel realizes that more megahurtz fad is dying and quickly. Intel is moving away from the megahurtz and stepping in a different direction. Why do I get the feeling that intel is going to make a quad core processor AND STILL CALL IT THE FU(KIN P4!!!! :mad:

I like the way AMD is going by getting rid of the Northbridge all together and putting the memory controller on the proc. Makes sence to me. Lets do a comparison. Intel 800FSB or AMD 1600 FSB. Technically you can't call FSB with AMD but just for comparison's sake. Ya I'd take AMD 1600 anyday :thumb:. Good Job AMD, You finally pulled you head out you ass and got rid of the T-Bird and went in the right direction :thumb:

T_Eclipse said:
Hmmm...I guess that was sorta the point of this thread was to show that intel realizes that more megahurtz fad is dying and quickly. Intel is moving away from the megahurtz and stepping in a different direction. Why do I get the feeling that intel is going to make a quad core processor AND STILL CALL IT THE FU(KIN P4!!!! :mad:

I like the way AMD is going by getting rid of the Northbridge all together and putting the memory controller on the proc. Makes sence to me. Lets do a comparison. Intel 800FSB or AMD 1600 FSB. Technically you can't call FSB with AMD but just for comparison's sake. Ya I'd take AMD 1600 anyday :thumb:. Good Job AMD, You finally pulled you head out you ass and got rid of the T-Bird and went in the right direction :thumb:
yay :thumb:

mysticfire6602 said:

my feeling on the A64 line of products is that it is a step *toward* the right direction. Moving to 64 bit is a good choice. However, the x86 platform has major problems that go right to the core of the design. If you compare the x86 to other platforms (like Alpha, Sparc, Itanium, PPC, etc) it is very flawed, and part of the reason it is slower for given speeds is that it is a fairly inneficient design.

The clockspeed war *did* matter, and it did help. You can't honestly tell me that either manufacturers 3ghz+ processors are no faster than a 2ghz, etc. The problem with the clockspeed war is that it became a game of diminishing returns. More and more power, for less and less payoff. It's the same way in tweaking a car. At some point, you go from spending $100-$1000 to pick up some major horsepower, and severely lessen your E/T's, to suddenly spending $10k+ a shot, to save a tenth. The law of diminishing returns applys in most everything, and it always bites you in the ass.

Anyhow, my point regarding the intel stuff, is that office apps are still the most important facet in terms of selling processors. That and longetivity and reliabilty. Every AMD processor i've ever had has been great- fast, cheap, but unfortunately they seem to die more quickly, or at least stop benchmarking as quickly (odd that). intel has the corporate sector pretty well, because they do everything well enough, and they have a reputation that customers trust. AMD is definitely making inroads in this regard, but after the debacles of the K6x, the K7, the Tbird, Athlon XP... well... there are some nasties going on.

For what it's worth, i've got a couple of 3200+ 64bit AMD laptops in my office. They are nice, fast enough, and get the job done. I don't have a problem with them.

Anyhow, for most of my office work, I can bring a 2+ghz machine to it's knees, even with Gobs-o-Ram(TM) ;)

of course i may spend my time hanging out with all the atypical power users who say the same kind of thing.

Anyhow, it's irrelevant.

I won't personally ever, ever- spend another dollar on an AMD product. I'll use them at work if i have to, but... Let's just say that after the crap they pulled with me last time I was left with a very, very sour taste in my mouth.

Slugs, might want to change your Hobbies profile if your burnt on the PC gaming HTPC gig ;)

Personally, I just got back into PC gaming after a long break. Got into Consoles for quite some time. Until Nov 03 when I got my current P4 2.6c (oc'd to 3.2 stable) w/ 1gig Dual Channel OCZ , ATI AIW 9800 and that does the trick to this day. Got me back into PC gaming big time.

mysticfire6602,

You seem just a little bit to fanatical about AMD. You an employee or stockholder or something? LOL. Anyways, I agree with a few of your fanboy statements but not a lot of them. I'll agree that AMD def got the jump on intel in the 64bit Architecture arena but that wasn't until late 03 and intel was always setting the benchmark to follow in the CPU industry for quite some time. AMD K6's were a joke. You needed to pratically patch every game/app just to take advantage of it. We'll see what happens when this Dual core stuff comes out and what it means for gaming etc.

And, BTW, they said what chipset the new dualcores are using.(Intel® 955X Express chipset and 945x) . Can't wait to see what these CPUS mean for gaming..

I did get to check out my friends AMD FX55 rig running 3dmark03 tonight and it was tight. I've just always been an Intel dude since they have been very reliable for me. Hell, I had a P100 running without a fan for probably months on end back in the day and it survived and I slapped a new fan on and the whole chip was discolored from the heat of running without a fan.. Now thats reliable..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back