The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Kyle Henny's Drag GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If your crank is straight and the mains are good there is no problem at all. Dsm's have been revving to the moon for ages, way before kiggly came out with his girdle.

Sometimes I think back to the good old days when 20g's/50 trim's were huge and people were tuning with keydiver chips and safc/palm logger. Seems now and days everybody's just going overboard for such mild setups.(Not directed towards you. just a general statement.)

You can run BC 272's and HKS 272's no problem on stock springs up to 8500 max. We(dsm community) have been doing it for years because the ramp rates are so mild. Im sure Dale will have something to say about it, but the evo guys have been running their stock valvetrains with kelford 272s no problem to 8000rpm.

I think my rev limit is 74/75/7600 somethin like that..

:hmm:Well so i wonder what kyle would want for those 272s? I may have a pm coming.

If your crank is straight and the mains are good there is no problem at all. Dsm's have been revving to the moon for ages, way before kiggly came out with his girdle.

Interesting you say that, yeah it was torque plate line hoaned, bored .020 over and had all the cleaning and checks done. Everything was good to go.

Links? I got those numbers from FP

Why would i be disappointed?

When it doesn't make much more power than the 40. There was something major holding back your car on the 40, and it wasn't the cams, or the turbo. Whatever it is, It's still gonna hold back the 3794.

Honestly, back last year I went thru similar issues. Couldn't make more power, figured it was valve springs. Kept upping boost and airflow, and wasn't picking up power. Swapped out tons of shit. Ended up going to non projected plugs and went from 121mph traps to 130+mph traps. Don't know if that was the actual problem or not, but it went lots faster afterwards.

I'm really not trying to be a dick, but you gotta figure out whats holding it back before you through parts at it.

Really you need to by systematic about your approach to going fast.

To my knowlege there isnt anything that was holding me back on the hx40 it's just seat time, track prep, and 60fts that ruined good trap speeds and times. Granny shifting and bogging into second.

Listen to my 11.1 pass. In the holset results thread and youll see what i mean.

I'm sure stock intake manifold, stock fiel filter, walbro 255 are holding me back in the fuel department.

I run non projected plugs already gapped to .019

To my knowlege there isnt anything that was holding me back on the hx40 it's just seat time, track prep, and 60fts that ruined good trap speeds and times. Granny shifting and bogging into second.

I'm sure stock intake manifold, stock fiel filter, walbro 255 are holding me back in the fuel department.

I agree with him. There is a lot more groundwork you need to lay before getting results from a bigger turbo. The hx40 has a lot more to give on a properly set up car. You have got to be reaching the lots of a 255. I'm assuming that's why you aren't running over 33 psi on c16. You don't even need to get crazy with the fuel setup since you don't use ethanol. You could have built an entire 9 second fuel system for the price of your 2150 injectors. You could have done 1600's a 450 and lines/filter. It Also doesn't make a lot of sense to go bigger on the cams with a stock intake.

I'm not trying to criticize you, it's a nice car. But throwing more turbo at it makes no sense.

Go big, urban. Go to the darkside, the force is very strong(so is the lag but nvmd that). 3794!! If you have trouble spooling that big SOB off the line, theres always N20. Thats quite common for big ass turbos especially if you're not running an auto or just dont want to beat shit up with anti lag. But, ive never been down the 1/4 on a track so you've got more experience than me in all aspects.

Plus, selfishly, i kind of want to see how it performs for you and what your spool,psi,lb/min's look like before I get one LOL. I just dont want to see you get one and have buyers remorse. Its a lot of money to drop but that doesnt seem to be an issue for you. Go with what YOU want and looking at the rest of your setup, i dont see why the '94 isnt a great choice. Plus, like with everything else we buy, you have room to grow with the 94. cams/smim/different tranny setup maybe?

I might wanna do the 3586 so i have enough money for a smim :)

seamus, I ran 36psi with the 255hp on c16 67lb per minute and had no Ve cells over 102

I'd imagine the 3585 would see those airflow numbers in the mid to high 20's psi. As well as spool 500rpm sooner

Last edited:
Heres a pic of my small winter stock pile (not including the rear konis or the slicks) konis are still at the machine shop waiting to get snap ring groove.
anezyduj.jpg

More goodies arriving tomorrow from RTM racing! Including a kevlar timing belt and new timing components and everythingg. I need to swap the cams.

I agree with what others are saying to stay with the 40 for a little while longer.

I think you just need a different tune and more seat time, your setup was almost like a twin to mine.

the stock intake manifold most likely is a restriction yet i'm still running mine completely unmodified besides the throttle inlet matched to the 1g throttlebody.

I'm still running all stock fuel lines and even filter and 2 255 walbros. i seriously doubt any of that's holding you back, and im on crappy street tires cutting some 1.6 60 foots.

Even my head is completely unported not even polished, still stock valves as well.

I think my main issue was blown shocks and eibach pro springs. Which held me back from better 60fts. Seat time, and not granny shifting will help too. It's not the holsets fault and I'm not switching from the holset because i thought i couldn't get more out of it. I could, but not much more, i was logging 66 lb per minute out of the 69lb a min its rated to at 36.7psi .I know i could have gotten more out of it but it wouldn't have been much, the other things that would have made the setup go faster dont have to do with the turbo at this point., (weight reduction) i plan to run holset until it's sold. But the FP turbo is just a wee bit better for what i want. Spool and top end.

Either way i wish you luck in your quest. :thumb:

Either way i wish you luck in your quest. :thumb:

Thank you!

On the note of intake manifolds. Ive heard the curt brown evo3 intake manifold is the best with a 2g head, what are everyones thoughts on intake manifold for my setup?

Evo3 intake manifold
Magnus race smim
Jmf drag smim
Curt brown spec jmf smim

I'm only on one 255 wally right bow, curious to find out it's limit. It took 66lb per min so far

I'm only on one 255 wally right bow, curious to find out it's limit. It took 66lb per min so far

That's a lot of power on a 255. Probably able to make it because your boost isn't really high. Running out of pump can trash a motor. It's not like running out of injector where you just can't make more power. I don't know what base pressure you run but an stock walbro hits relief at 85psi. So if your running 35-36 lbs of boost you have got to be getting close. Be careful and good luck the car is pretty nice.

I was running 36.7psi on c16 but yeah i plan to do a walbro 400lph.

43.5 base pressure

Car is really dirty right now, i really need to delete wires that came from the air bag ecu. I'd like to just chop it but i knownthe right way is remove the whole wire to the ecu.

You know Kyle,according to the current dsmtuners 1/4 times the hx 40 is surely capable of almost a 10.1.Your current personal best is 11.1.

Because I was curious.That record holder plus brad there and you are all on a stock intake manifold & 40.

Will stanton 10.33 with no nitrous.

Thats all? i may shoot for this record since i need something to shoot for now that i already hit my first goal. im just at a point were im breaking axles almost ever time i go out, im avoiding slicks for this reason but hear that it may stop the breaking of axles because they give more than street tires is this true?

Excited to see what you end up with come race season bud! Can't go wrong either way, I know you've wanted that 37 for a loooong time now, and with the gutting, potential fuel cell, no passenger seating, etc. I'd almost want to concede and just make it the best drag car you can! Tough to give up the street I'm sure, but where can you use it without risking loosing the whole car? Maybe Canuckville up there is a little more loose since the Mounties have to catch you on a ride with only 1hp ;)

Regardless, very cool to see the car come so far since we met and you laid out your plans. Excited to see your welding in person if you get back out this way after schools up. I've been running a big ass 5-axis CNC for Boeing, wouldn't be out of the question to fire up a shop in the future with the combined experience and skills we'll have by then! Cheers to the winter build!!

Thats all? i may shoot for this record since i need something to shoot for now that i already hit my first goal. im just at a point were im breaking axles almost ever time i go out, im avoiding slicks for this reason but hear that it may stop the breaking of axles because they give more than street tires is this true?

Wait your 10.7 was on street tires...ROFL that should be added as another record..

Yea, don't you ever see how they ripple/wrinkle up?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back