The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

KYB AGX struts on a 2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProjectDSM

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 1, 2002
I was looking into a set of KYB AGX struts for my 99 GST. Ha, found out they were manufactured out of spec by a whole inch on the front struts. The person whom Im considering the purchase told me that the newer struts corrected this problem. The new product number on these from KYB is 741042 not the original 741018. I tried contacting KYB but so far havent heard back. Im just wondering if anyone has any additional info on the apparent fix on these and if its true. The last reviews Ive seen on these shocks for a 2G were from early 2001 and that was on the DSM product review board.

Thanks All

Rob:D

Not too much (1.5" or less) I live on a short dirt road with a few bumps here and there. Im going with adjustable springs, and a camber setup.

I did however hear back from KYB regarding the struts. They told me the problem was fixed on the front struts, And confirmed the new product number is KYB AGX 741042. I would say thats good news for the 2G guys since I've heard a lot of good things from the 1G reviews on these!!!

even if u got the old agx's if you are only gonna lower it that much, you won't have any problems, i had them but i had coilovers and about a 3 in drop, and rode on the bumpstops all day long it was not cool!!

Damb a 3" drop, Daily. Thats pretty low. I thought 2" was low. I'll try 3" with the adjustable coilovers I have. What size of rims are you on or were you on? Im on 17's for now but hope to get some racing hart 18's or 19's. on 19's I dont think theres any way to get a 3" drop without actually sitting on the fender.

i had stock 16's on at the time, when i pulled my car into my yard of fresh cut grass my bumper would touch it, it was really low but i loved it,now i am on 17's with 225/45/ rubber and tokico's with progress springs and love it to death, rides like a caddy, handles like a go-kart

The only thing to be careful with the AGX's is to not use a spring that lowers more than 1.5 inches. For some reason KYB made them to where they just cant stand to be lowered more than that. I blew mine out after about 4 months because I was stupid and was running on a 2 inch drop. Now I use springs that give me a 1.4 in the front and 1.6 in the rear with Tokico Illuminas and that my friends was one hell of an improvement.

this might be a dumb question but why would you want to go with 18 or 19 inch wheels??? that just seems way to big to me... like a little on the rice/show side of things.i don't want to start anything just wondering thats all.

May not be your taste thats all, but a lowered eclipse on 18" or especially 19" wheels looks great or "Rice/Show" (to some). Its a matter of taste as a matter of opinion would say. Along with performance Im also looking for LOOKS as I see fit to my own car whether someone thinks its "rice" or not its still not the topic here. If your concerned about wheel size or rice/show you should start a thread regarding that. On the subject I ordered the struts and waiting for the shipment!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back