The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

KYB AGX lowering shocks/struts (fwd)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codym

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2011
Amarillo, Texas
Hey fellas, I've decided before advancing any further into the turbo swap, my suspension is in desperate need of attention.

I've done the reading around the site, took a look at the parts catalog, and searched a bit, and I'm going with the KYB AGX shocks, and Eibach lowering springs (-1.5"Rear/-1.4" Front)

I'm going to try to get these through my work at a discounted price, and I just need to make sure I'm getting the right part numbers for a front wheel drive dsm to cross reference from KYB..

One question I still have that I can't seem to find a solid answer, are different shocks/struts required when lowering the car? I remember reading somewhere that the height of the strut body had to be shorter to accommodate the shorter springs.

Here is a link to the shock/struts I was looking at.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ssis-suspension/make/mitsubishi/model/eclipse

KYB AGX Rear - 741020
Front - 734005

& a link to the springs..
1990-1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse Coil Springs - Eibach 4.106 - Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs

Eibach -4.1060

What do you mean with body height?
If you buy the new shocks and combine them with the spring, the shock will fall to wherever the spring tells it to stop. You do not need to alter anything, you might experience some camber wear in front if you lower it, but that is about it.
I have stock springs with megan racing lowering springs. Lowered about 2 inches.

This part.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I may be mistaken, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that a shorter strut/shock must be used with lowering springs in order to prevent premature wear. From what I've read - using lowering springs on stock struts isn't recommended.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/414554-springs-stock-struts.html

I just want to make sure I get the right part numbers to cross reference through work.

Some one else might be able to fill you in on this. It is true that it is not recommended to use stock shocks. But the AGX are very good quality. The life of the shocks are dependent on the stiffness of the springs. But the ride quality will be worse. I dont think any other shock comes shorter except for coilovers that have the adjustable stem length

I bought the KYB AGX kit from Buschur Racing back in '06. It consisted of 734005 and 741013 for the shocks/struts. I used them until last year.

Springs depend on what you want. You have the correct number for the Sportlines. The Pro-Kits are 6010.140.

In my opinion, the ride quality suffers any which way you go here, so prepare for that. That may just be my experience as plenty of people use the AGX w/ Eibach combo and it works out okay. I don't know enough about suspensions to answer your other question confidently.

Thanks for your input, regarding the ride quality - I'm currently getting the "boat" quite often on the highway, I look over at others cars and theirs aren't diving up and down anywhere near the amount mine is. It takes any kind of dips/impurities in the road really hard, even though I do my best to avoid them and slow down as needed.

I'm fairly confident my shocks/struts are toast, so I'll be replacing those either way.
I'm looking for something to make me feel more "secure" on the road, it just feels like the road is beating the crap out of my car.

Hmm, I'm going to have to do some research on those coilovers. Usually a set of good quality coilovers go for a bit more than those are listed for.

If the ground control coilovers would be a better option than the Eibach springs I might get those instead, but from the research I've done the general consensus seems to be to steer away from cheaper coilover systems.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back