The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Koyo V1949 VS Mishimoto Dual Core radiator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the help and feedback everyone. I went with the Mishimoto, ended up getting it for $70 cold hard cash from a local partout. :hellyeah:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I appreciate your response! I'm going to go with the Mishimoto because I want the dual core. If you want to hook me up with some deals on a new core, send me a pm, email or text. :thumb: Erik Tande 720-402-5933

You can check out my build thread here:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm...0-gsx-daily-driver-build-restore-400-whp.html

Otherwise, I'm going to have to go used to keep in my budget. :thumb:

Erik, Thanks for the reply! Looks like you already picked something up! That was fast!

213 and up to 220 is common on a stock setup with the ac condenser and everything there, without AC, you should be able to get temps down to 195 with the right setup. Ive got AC, Mishimoto 2 core rad, FMIC, stock rad fan and Spal 11" slim AC fan, and my car runs at 195 to 210 on a hot day with the AC blasting. I did relocate the oil cooler to the driver side and away from the radiator, and the AC condenser is sealed to the radiator and the radiator to the core support, then the intercooler core sides and top are sealed to the core support but I left the bottom open and cut an aluminum piece to direct air up in between the intercooler and radiator to further help cooling. Having the aluminum rad definitely helps in comparison to the factory rad with the plastic endtanks...

I would be more concerned about the fans and your mixture than your radiator. I had a nice Fluidyne rad and took it out because the stock rad with a single FAL fan was all I needed to maintain 200-208 temps. I did it because i needed more room up front.

I prefer 185-190 steady at the track. We will see with this half rad i got with FAL fan from STM. Plus ducting. I was seeing 190-192 with one oem fan on the oem rad. And no ducting no heat wrap nothin.

I believe the ecu pulls timing after 210* maybe after 215. I know it's one of those. And incase anyone here didn't know, 50/50 mix boils at 223.. And i wouldnt want liquid that hot in my block/rad

Edited for accuracy

And incase anyone here didn't know, water boils at 220.

Not accurate. Water boils at 212f, not 220f.

Interesting read.

What is the boiling point of coolant? - Yahoo Answers India

The pressure cap on a cooling system is the key to raising the boiling point of the 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. For every pound of pressure cap rating the boiling of point of the above mixture raises 3 degrees. If you had plain water in your cooling system with a 15 pound pressure cap the water would boil @ 257 degrees. If you had a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water the coolant would boil @ 265 degrees with a 15 pound cap. The boiling point would raise to 270 degrees if you had a 60% antifreeze mixture with a 15 pound cap. If you had a 70% mixture the boiling point would raise to 276 drgrees.

Don't be fooled by the old wives tail that by adding a richer antifreeze mixture will keep the complete system cooler. In fact it works just the opposite. As you know pure antifreeze has a higher viscosity rating than plain distilled water. * The higher the antifreeze mixture percentage its ability to adsorb heat from the engine goes down. *The higher the antifreeze mixture percentage also retards the radiator's ability to get rid of the coolant heat.

Race cars use pure water in their cooling systems because it adsorbs heat from the engine and gets rid if it in the radiator *better than any antifreeze mixture.

It's to your cooling systems advantage to mix your pure antifreeze/water mixture to protect the engine from freezeing 10 degrees lower than last years coldest day last winter.

Pure antifreeze boils @ 387 degrees Farenheit in atmosphere

For the purpose of having more sources...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system3.htm

Fluid
Cars operate in a wide variety of temperatures, from well below freezing to we#ll over 100 F (38 C). So whatever fluid is used to cool the engine has to have a very low freezing point, a high boiling point, and it has to have the capacity to hold a lot of heat.
Water is one of the most effective fluids for holding heat, but water freezes at too high a temperature to be used in car engines. The fluid that most cars use is a mixture of water and ethylene glycol (C2H6O2), also known as antifreeze. By adding ethylene glycol to water, the boiling and freezing points are improved significantly.
Fluid - Freezing Point - Boiling Point
Pure Water: 0 C / 32 F - 100 C / 212 F
50/50 mix of C2H6O2/Water: -37 C / -35 F - 106 C / 223 F
70/30 mix of C2H6O2/Water: -55 C / -67 F - 113 C / 235 F
The temperature of the coolant can sometimes reach 250 to 275 F (121 to 135 C). Even with ethylene glycol added, these temperatures would boil the coolant, so something additional must be done to raise its boiling point.
The cooling system uses pressure to further raise the boiling point of the coolant. Just as the boiling temperature of water is higher in a pressure cooker, the boiling temperature of coolant is higher if you pressurize the system. Most cars have a pressure limit of 14 to 15 pounds per square inch (psi), which raises the boiling point another 45 F (25 C) so the coolant can withstand the high temperatures.

Fair enougj, sorry i didn't google search before i posted waters boiling point. Its been 8 years since high school. I already know collant boils at higher temp, thats why we use it. I still dont like my shit thay hot

However i guess i was close that a 50/50 mix is 223 boiling

One more question... What controls when the fans turn on? Is it the coolant temp sensor? Is there a way to have them turn on at a lower temp? I looked in ECMLink but couldn't find anything.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back