The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Knock sensor test?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapointebrett

Probationary Member
Dec 28, 2022
Jacksonville, Florida
I recently just finished rebuilding my engine which suffered from pre-detonation on the dyno I ended up realizing my knock sensor wire was completely screwed so I ordered a new knock sensor and Installed it. Is there any way to test the new knock sensor to make sure it works so that I don't have the same issue again? I'm on ecm link and just need a way to make sure that the new knock sensor works, thanks.

Bring the motor up to temp while logging then rap on the engine block with a wrench (simulate knock) and see if it registers on the log. Pretty easy (if you can get to a good area to tap on). Just one way.

The problem is we never really know for absolute certain.. we have to kind of trust that it will pick up what it should when it should. We don't have a 100% controlled, repeatable test bench. Marty's suggestion could very well work.
RawKnock may or may not show, depending on when you rapped on it, if it was the proper frequency, as there is a LOT of filtering going on behind the scenes, and it also depends on when. One piston always just fired, one is sucking, one is compressing, and one is exhausting, but timing the tap to when knock is most likely occur in the one cylinder that's in that particular stage of the cycle can be tricky. The size of wrench may even matter.. but it sounds like you're a guinea pig here so let us know!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back